Stupid mistake...broke stuff

Got questions? We got answers....
exbee

Stupid mistake...broke stuff

Post by exbee »

I managed to break several things on my KDX today...and this was on the stand in the garage....
I had both wheels off to change tires and the bike was on the stand. I hadn't ridden it for a while so I thought I'd start it up for the hell of it.
I opened the choke and gave it a couple of kicks and it fired right up. Then my brain must have shut off because I forgot to close the choke and it started to rev up really high, I hit the kill switch but it wouldn't stop the engine. Then I decided to do what I usually do when it's revving for the moon and the plug is too hot for the kill switch to work...kick it in gear, drop the clutch and stall it. Only this time since I had the rear wheel removed when I dumped the clutch my chain wrapped around the front sprocket mashing my shift lever down and wedging between the sprocket and swingarm. Several things got broke but the things that concern me are: 1. the force of the chain being wedged between the sprocket and swingarm broke the engine case where the swingarm bolt goes through and 2. the shift lever was forced down way past it's normal position and I can't get it to move back up. This looks like a really expensive and/or time consuming mistake to have made. Can anyone tell me 1. can the engine case be welded and will it be strong enough and 2. what may be bent/broken in the gearbox and should it be easily replaced?

I sure do feel like an idiot for this one....

Any help would be great
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Ouch. :shock:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Worthless without pics

Shoulda mad a video, you be rich :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Couldn't even begin to tell you if the case could be welded without pics. And no telling what might have been damaged in the transmission just based on your description.

I'd start with splitting the cases and see what you are really dealing with. Then post some pictures so everyone can see what you've got.

You didn't say what engine you have, but there are several set of cases for E and H engines on eBay right now. It could be cheaper to just get a set of cases vs. getting yours welded up and possibly failing down the road.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Sorry, but:

'00 KDX 220R
exbee

Post by exbee »

Here are some pictures...it's not pretty.
This is a 93 KDX 250 by the way
The funny thing is that I had just got the shift lever tightened down on the shaft good after having a hell of a time keeping it tight for months, then this happens...just the time you'd hope it would spin on the shaft and avoid major damage...
Image[/img]
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

maybe you just spun the lever on the shaft?

Motor mount will hafta be welded or get a new case halve
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
exbee

Post by exbee »

I think if the lever spun on the shaft I'd be able to move it back up...It won't go.
Does anyone have any experience with having a case welded like this? I'd rather not open the motor up and buy a new case if welding can be done with good success.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

If it was me I'd have it torn apart by now and found out what was going on in there
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

is the shifter jammed against the case/frame?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

:doh:
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Where the chew marks in your shift lever there before this 'little' accident or the result of?
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

look at it this way........it could be worse! you could have busted out your clutch arm.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
ChubbyWookie

Post by ChubbyWookie »

Not sure about the transmision. Put the wheel back on turn it and see. If all seems good start it up.

There are many ways to weld the case but unless you have a tig you would proably want to remove the engine for MIG or Oxy/acetyl. or use a product like HeatBlock

If you dont have a welding outfit try a aluminum brazing rod and using a MAPP gas or propane torch for heat. Or even better is a aluminum solder which requires very little heat but can be pricey. Soldering and brazing should both give you the strength you need. Check your local welders supply, Fastenal or even hardware store.
exbee

Post by exbee »

Thanks Chubby, that helps
plotski

Post by plotski »

I think its ruined and you should sell the whole mess to me for super cheap...as I need the cdi for my 93.....sorry i couldnt resist....kdx250's are pretty rare around where i live.... :razz:
Wherever you go......there you are

1993 KDX250
1997 KDX220 Street Legal !!
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

was looking up propane torches on harbor freight and came across this product that may be helpful.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-8- ... 44810.html
1989 KDX 200
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Duct tape....lol
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr