Which year KDX 200 to buy?

Got questions? We got answers....
ttraynor

Which year KDX 200 to buy?

Post by ttraynor »

There are a bunch in local craigslist--from 1986 to 1995. Prices from $875 to $1500. One of the cleanest/least used LOOKING is the old one--the 1986. What important changes are there in the KDX evolution? if changes are minor/upgradeable--I can get in for peanuts with the '86 and add improvements/upgrades along the way.

Thanks.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The '86 is a C series bike and is air cooled. Not bad bikes but really hard to find parts for. Personally, I would stick with an '89 or newer ('95+ even better) as parts availability is a lot better.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Agree. 87 and earlier are aircooled. I think 86/87/88 have power valves, which is nice. Those models (C series), are bad to bust the flywheel, which is very difficult to find a replacement for. Something to watch out for if you are looking at a pre-89 KDX200.

89-94 are E series, which is a complete re-design from the C series bikes. Water cooled, disk brakes front and back, etc. Those years are all pretty much the same, except for USD forks on the 93/94.

95+ is H series, which remained pretty much unchanged until 2006 when the last one was made. Again a comlete re-design from the E series bikes. Perimeter frame, more modern ergo's, cylinder re-design.

All of these bikes make great trail machines. For now, E series are still pretty easy to get parts for, but that is likely to change before much longer.