220 rebuild/piston

Got questions? We got answers....
ditton

220 rebuild/piston

Post by ditton »

Hi all.
Just looking for a little input as to what to look for or expect. Please keep in mind that I am relatively new to bikes and just finished sons RM new top end, cleaned carb and suspension bearings which went good, bike started 3rd kick and now in process of breaking in and then rejet
I own an '03 KDX220 and am in the process of a complete rebuild also. I have done the fork conversion, cleaned carb and all went well. In the process of complete tear down on suspension bearings (all out, just gotta put new ones in) and new top end (Wiseco).
I took the reed cage out (will be putting in Boysen Pro Series) but noticed that that the (rear) of piston had small scratches in the skirt (hope to get cylinder off tonight). Just wondering if there is anything I should expect of what to look for? Hopefully cylinder is ok and it will be just a straight swap of piston (rings, bearings, etc)
I plan to clean out the KIPS also while it is apart.
Biggest thing learnt so far......don't neglect those damn suspension bearings....couple were a mess on both bikes...
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ditton
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

When you take apart the kips make sure to keep track of where the valves came from and put them back in the correct holes. Depending on what book you have they may have the valves listed backwards.

Oh ya and don't forget to support the shaft with the left hand threaded nut.
ditton

Post by ditton »

Thanks rbates.
I have service manual as well as some "how to's" from this site. All stress the left hand thread and supporting the shaft.
KIPS seems a little intimidating being the first time, but then again so did the top end on my sons bike. Just took my time and read as much as possible before hand. Having manuals for both bikes is/was a big help.
Scratches on piston is a little worrisome though as I have always made sure the air-filters are clean and oiled, sealed with a little grease on the base. Sons piston was in ok shape, just a little carbon but no scratches so with mine I hope it is not a biggie. I found another thread on here which had same type/look scratches and the cylinder pictures were OK.
Will hopefully be able to get back at it tonight and see for sure.
Bike was running great before(last fall), just thought I would do some preventative maintenance. Not sure if original piston or not.....but I won't debate that one :wink:

Thanks again
Ditton
ditton

Post by ditton »

Back again!!
OK, finally got the cylinder off....looks ok so far but still need to clean it up.
As for the KIPS....Holy Crap what a mess!!!! Doesn't look like it has ever been touched. Partially my fault as I hardly rode last year and I'm sure the PO did F'all to it...but, I'll take the blame and thats why I'm fixing it up.
Scrapped off as much carbon as I could for now.....the main valve was really tight in cylinder and really caked up....still soaking in varsol after giving them a good soak in brake cleaner.
Have another question though with regards to the KIPS connecting shaft/claw.
The service manual I have makes no notes about the timing markings on claw and shaft. In one of the "how to's" I have it notes the dot on claw and white paint on gears.
In the bike its self there is the dot on the claw but no white paint on gears.
The only thing it has is a "line" on the shaft behind the gear. Are these the points to line up?
Any other quick tips about aligning the KIPS valves themselves would be greatly appreciated.
Will get back at it tonight. Great learning process though

Thanks in advance
Ditton