New here..looking for guidance.

Got questions? We got answers....
singie

New here..looking for guidance.

Post by singie »

Greeting, I am a newbie to trail riding.

Live in the PNW and ride in Tillamook state forest.

I bought a 2004 KDX220R basically in stock configuration.

Have been out riding about 4 times now. Its been a ton of fun..most fun even on 2 wheels that i can remmeber of in many years now.

I had a few questions with regards to my bike's maintainence and upgrades:

First good crash on the first time out bent the factory 7/8 bar out of whack and since then it has become worse.

I bought a Pro Taper Controur (high bend) fat bar to install in its stead.

I have the bar mounts for the fat bar, they are rubber based. Are there any better ones to look for? I have heard that even thought he fat bars might not bend these rubber mounts might actually bend themselves. I plan on using them for the time being however since i have them on hand.

Coming back to the bark busters that I have currently mounted on the 7/8 bar:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 061wt_1165

I can't seem to identify these so i can get a pro taper mount kit for these bark busters.

Alternatively, do you guys suggest any non-cycra triple tree hard mount bark busters in its stead?

I am also looking for a set of radiator guards. ANy recommendations will be most welcome. The MSR racing is currently out of stock nearly every place i have tried. ANy other that is worht looking into?

I further resorted to getting a thumper talk skid plate as the ricochet and msr ones didn't have protection for the water pump section.

One further upgrade to the bike at hand is that a friend is helping me repalce my compeltely shot front tire with a new dunlop 952 (same as the rear) tomorrow. Can't wait to see what improvement that brinks to the bike in terms of traction as my current ones are in pathetic condition.

Thanks in advnace and shred on!!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

welcome to the site.
1st mod: you mentioned your bike being bone stock, if the piston really is stock: do not wait and REPLACE IT with weisco. (do a search on grenade 220 piston...)
rad guard:devol rad guard and I would get a brace too. search on monkey butt that's where I got both i think.
Some like the the rubber cone pieces, you crash, they tweak saving your bar (doing their job), loosen them up, line them up, ride again.
I believe you can replace them with harder rubber/Teflon or aluminum.
Same with solid bar mount, some prefer them mounted to the triple clamp, some don't complaining it gives a too rigid feel in the bar. I like'em, the bars and barkbuster don't get tweaked (as much).
Good on you to replace that POS front tire, you'll like the difference. :supz:

Don't forget the usual inspection on a new bike...go through bearings, specially the rear linkage and suspension, those tend to rust FAST and seize, costing more hard earned cash...
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Welcome!

Like has been said you need a new piston. NOW!

The rubber bar mounts imho are much nicer than the ridged mounts as far as helping to save the bars and cut down on the vibration.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

You can run Honda cones in place of the stock ones. They are supposed to be a lot firmer

I may go that route if the custom uhmw cones I made don't work out, but so far they've been great
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:You can run Honda cones in place of the stock ones. They are supposed to be a lot firmer

I may go that route if the custom uhmw cones I made don't work out, but so far they've been great
I have heard you say "umhw" a few times. What the he11 do you mean by that?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

mostly just a fancy plastic
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Tusk sells 1-1/8" barkbuster adapters for around $17. I used them on my Pro-Taper's and I have MSR barkbusters very similar to the ones you posted from eBay.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
ChubbyWookie

Post by ChubbyWookie »

I have a pair of barkbuster bar mounts for a 1"1/8 bar if your interested. Just pay shipping which is probably $2-5. Down side is i dont have all the proper bolts so it might not be worth it.

I would recommend a solid bar mount like http://www.frpoffroad.com/Bar-Brace-det ... ogId=-1039 it will help keep your bars from twisting with those rubber cones (make sure they are for the 1 1/8" bars). Also you could replace those rubber cones with aluminm(probably have to machine yourself)
singie

Post by singie »

Thnaks for all the responses. Been a busy week and thus hasven't been able to visit the forum.

Have a weisco piston kit on the top of my list now.

Got the tire changed. A friend helped me through it, took me a good hour and half. New front tire and tube mounted.

While changing out the front tire, got to inspect the bearings and the wheel bearing seems to have gone kaput, so need to get one, any particular ones that is better than OEM, etc?

I received the thumper talk skid plate which turned out to be just the ricochet one which doesn't seem to have side protection. Just going to go with it though.

Thanks for the offer on the barkbuster mounts, am going to stick to the rubber mounts since i already have them on hand. Will see how it works out for me.
2004 KDX220R W/ Wiesco piston, Procircuit exhuast, FMF Gnarly desert pipe, Protaper bars, airbox mod
2005 Yamaha R6 track bike
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

welcome to the site! mr. wibbens is the one you want to confer with regarding the pacific northwet.

glad to have ya!!!! :supz:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
singie

Post by singie »

THanks!

A quick confirmation on the weisco piston kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... OTORS:1123

Looks to me like its got everything I need to rebuild the piston.

THis is the right one yes?
2004 KDX220R W/ Wiesco piston, Procircuit exhuast, FMF Gnarly desert pipe, Protaper bars, airbox mod
2005 Yamaha R6 track bike