Intro and a few Questions

Got questions? We got answers....
sixty

Intro and a few Questions

Post by sixty »

I'm new to this forum since I picked up my first KDX 200 last week! i live in Vegas, but go to the mountains in Utah and Northern NV quite a bit.

It's a 95 H1 with a pro circuit works pipe and answer silencer. I bought it for $700 from my cousin who's had it since about 97. Its been a bit neglected but I'm hoping to get it back in better shape!

I've ordered new plastics to replace the really faded ones and installed a gripper seat cover. I'm going thru the carb since there is a bog on the top end and going over the bike in general. It also appears to need new fork seals, but I havent gotten that far yet.

I am having trouble finding an exhaust connector since the one on the bike leaks. Does anyone know if the TM designs connector for the KX will work with my procircuit pipe? Any other option besides factory?

I'm also interested in the Dyna ring, since I bought this bike mainly for trails. It looks like an AWESOME product! Is the forum discount still available? I don't see the link at the top of the page.

I look forward to building and riding this bike!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

fork seal: remove the dust cover and dust seal and try to remove the crud between the tube and the oil seal. (thin piece of plastic usually works)
bog: clean the carb and jets real good (soak in pinsol works pretty good for me) and go there to jet it properly:
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1156
exhaust connector: some use a piece of inner tube wrap around and zip tied.
pipe: get it off and paint it with some high temp paint, it looks rusted as hell and about to fall off.
dyna ring: I think the sale is over but even at the regular price it's a hell of a deal :supz:
I'd also go through all the bearings (especially the rear suspension and linkage) and clean/grease/replace them. I bet they're either rusted out or seized.

welcome to the site
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Welcome to KDXRider, Sixty!

As for the bike, everything he said^!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I use a short length of Gates green stripe water hose and two hose clamps for the exhaust connector
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Probably be a good idea to go through those forks but here's a great way to fix a leaky seal

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

That's the one I was talking about thx wibs :supz:
sixty

Post by sixty »

Great info guys! Thanks for the welcome.

I will give that seal fix a shot and let you guys know how it works out. I havent worked on forks since I sold my kx250 in 97.

The pipe is a bit rusty, I'm not sure how that happened here in Vegas. nothing ever rusts here. I was going to sand blast it paint it but its low on my list.

Thanks for the suggestions, the advice is greatly apreciated! I will keep this thread updated with my progress.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Welcome!
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

DONT USE SAND PAPER!!!! JESUS CHRIST!!!!!

I have done that fix many times before, use electrical tape!!! Literally just wrap the stantion in electrical tape and pump the fork, as long as the tape passes through the seal once that is all you need, any more and you have to replace the seals anyway!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The fine grit sand paper actually works really well, so shaddup :butthead:

But no, really. the tape will get some grit out of there which can help if nothing is actually wrong with the seal, but the sandpaper actually seems to re-surface it and will work on a seal that is nearly shot.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Freakin works amazing

I have to do the Strom seals about every six months since they don't have boots, but it stops the leak until they get filled with more crap
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
sixty

Post by sixty »

Just a quick update (no pics, sorry).

I replaced the front fender, installed new graphics, gripper seat cover, new UFO headlight and the bike is looking pretty good!

The rear wheel was bent and cracked. I straightened it and tried to tig the crack after grinding it out. No dice, the rim warped pretty badly and im sure the heat from the tig weakend it. I found a 19" rear wheel off of a 99 KXF 250 for $100 that worked perfectly using the kdx axle and spacer. I also bought a new rear tire. At the same time I bought the front wheel and tire to use when I swap in the inverted forks, (searching). I really hate the kdx forks.

Rejetted the carb with a 155 main and a 45 pilot. The bike is BEAST now! For some reason it was jetted HUGE. It had a 168 main and a 52 pilot. No wonder it fouled plugs and smoked like crazy.

Ordered a new sprocket and chain, to replace the worn ones.

The bike is a total money pit but should be better than new when im done.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

might seem like a money pit now but once it's in good shape it'll be a lot cheaper to maintain than any other (wood decent) bike 2 stokes and 4 strokes alike :wink:
sixty

Post by sixty »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:might seem like a money pit now but once it's in good shape it'll be a lot cheaper to maintain than any other (wood decent) bike 2 stokes and 4 strokes alike :wink:
Thats what I'm hoping. Thanks for the reassurance!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Welcome!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
sixty

Post by sixty »

I picked up these forks on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... OTORS:1123

He threw in the front axle spacers. They should work great with the front wheel I have. I also ordered new fork seals and wipers. hopefully I should be set. I'm really looking forward to better forks!

I have a 20ton press, rockford mill, enco lathe and lincoln squarewave tig in my garage. I should be able to overcome any problems I encounter! :supz:

Got the pipe sand blasted and painted flat black with high temp bbq paint last night.... it looks pretty good!

I also picked up a thor carbon fiber helmet in immaculate condition for $100 and a pair of clean alpinestar tech 10's for $200. I should be set!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You will need to do something with the axle to use the KDX wheel on KX forks. Or get a kx wheel for about that year front end. Good buy on the forks tho!