kdx 220 gas tank removal

Got questions? We got answers....
terez

kdx 220 gas tank removal

Post by terez »

Is there something I'm not doing right?

The bolts that thread into the threaded inserts on the side of the gas tank just seem to turn without unthreading?

Are they seized in there? Is there a way to hold the inserts while unthreading the bolts?

Is this a common prob?

Thanks
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

some fugger asked the same question just last week

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10465

:wink:
Last edited by Mr. Wibbens on 02:14 pm Apr 28 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

it's really easy to cross thread these, I'm always really careful with mine and thankfully have never had this happen yet

BTW,You should be able to take the tank off with the rad covers still attached :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
terez

Post by terez »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:it's really easy to cross thread these, I'm always really careful with mine and thankfully have never had this happen yet

BTW,You should be able to take the tank off with the rad covers still attached :wink:
It's not the rad shroud bolts it's the bolts holding the tank to the frame.
Shroud bolts came off no prob....the frame mounts are another story.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Gotta grinder?

:wink:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
kawie

Post by kawie »

im the fugger that asked last week.these are a pain to get out when the insert spins.if you can get a drill to grip the head of the bolt an then spin the crap out of it to build up heat to make the plastic soft so you can pull the insert throught the plastic.heat gun would work to heat the plastic up too.i used a socket on a small extension to spin mine out with a flat head screwwdriver to pry with while i spun the insert.
Kawie
2004 kx125
2001 kdx220
2000 kx250
1996 kx250
bmcd308

Post by bmcd308 »

I have done the same thing. It is amazing how much maintenance you can do to a KDX without pulling the fuel tank off if you really set your mind to it.