Wiring Problem / Adding a battery

Got questions? We got answers....
warren180

Wiring Problem / Adding a battery

Post by warren180 »

Here in the UK, for a full day time MOT, making the bike (KDX200 1990) road legal, I will require the following:
> Dipped Beam
> Main Beam
> Tail Light
> Brake Light
> Horn

I have re-wired the bike to involve a dipped/main beam and tail light so far.
35w/35w front bulb, 21/5w rear bulb.

The magneto does not provide enough power for these, let alone with the addition of a horn.

To provide the additional power I am thinking of including a battery.

Im sure the regulator does not rectify. So Im thinking I will need to get another rectifer/regulator.
Then wire Magneto->regulator/rectifier->Battery.
Then run everything of the battery.

Has anybody tried this, or have any other solutions to the power needs?
h
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

you may wanna look at this, might help.
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:you may wanna look at this, might help.
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=
Yep, that will take care of you. No battery or rectifier required.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
glukasil

Post by glukasil »

you may go HID way...........less power , more light
cornishwrecker220

Re: Wiring Problem / Adding a battery

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

>|<>QBB<
warren180 wrote:Here in the UK, for a full day time MOT, making the bike (KDX200 1990) road legal, I will require the following:
> Dipped Beam
> Main Beam
> Tail Light
> Brake Light
> Horn

I have re-wired the bike to involve a dipped/main beam and tail light so far.
35w/35w front bulb, 21/5w rear bulb.

The magneto does not provide enough power for these, let alone with the addition of a horn.

To provide the additional power I am thinking of including a battery.

Im sure the regulator does not rectify. So Im thinking I will need to get another rectifer/regulator.
Then wire Magneto->regulator/rectifier->Battery.
Then run everything of the battery.

Has anybody tried this, or have any other solutions to the power needs?
warren, for a `daytime` mot here in the UK you do not need a front or rear light or a brake light....if the kdx has them fitted then they all need to be working...you could just fit a kx number board as a replacement for the headlight along with a kx rear mudguard ...you must however have a working mechanical horn & not one from a push bike either although i suppose that all depends on how friendly your mot inspector is!...my 220 kdx is a canadian import & did not have all the nessessary eletrical gubbins that the full UK spec kdx has so i fitted a rear brake light switch along with rear bulb, front headlight bulb with dip, handlebar mounted Hi/Lo switch with horn button & also fitted & wired in the horn..everything works as it should but lights slightly dim when rear brake is pressed or the horn (this gets somewhat exciting on dark english roads at night!! ) but bike passed the mot (full day/night) & all without fitting a battery....if your 200 has working lights already fitted as standard as most do,then it shouldnt really be too much of a prob to wire in the above.`.off road only` in wales do loads of kit to get you started, switches etc..forgot to mention that when i turn my lights off only the front light goes out (the rear remains on as the power generated from the stator needs to discharge else it builds up too much heat & will damage the stator..hence no battery fitted..this has never been a problem so long as the rear light remains working ..hope this helps .
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

I have all LED's except for my hi/low beam headlight and the stock stator powers it all nicely. I still have to make a diode bridge so I can run a DC horn on the AC system. But other than that I have zero issues with the stock stator running the headlight, and powering the LED taillight/brake light and LED turn signals. I am using full LED, not LED bulbs in regular sockets.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Coop wrote:I still have to make a diode bridge so I can run a DC horn on the AC system.
Not necessary. Jeff Fredette has one that works on AC or DC and he isn't the only one that has them. I think I paid $9 and it has been working fine.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Cool, thanks!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

>|<>QBB<
Coop wrote:I have all LED's except for my hi/low beam headlight and the stock stator powers it all nicely. I still have to make a diode bridge so I can run a DC horn on the AC system. But other than that I have zero issues with the stock stator running the headlight, and powering the LED taillight/brake light and LED turn signals. I am using full LED, not LED bulbs in regular sockets.
I would love to see your setup and maybe a breakdown of all items used.
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Sure, I need to take better pictures, most of these were while I was still working on it and why the wiring isn't nicely secured in the pics. They are just eBay cheapo short stalk LED's mounted to the headlight housing. I need to get some longer ones so they clear the housing completely. Now they are partially blocked. I also used a Tusk hydraulic brake switch on the front brake. Technically I should have one on the rear too, but I didn't bother right now because I always use the front brake. This is with the old bars still, but you get the idea:

Polisport LED tail/brake light, eBay flushmount LED signals:

Soldered a second wire until the empty terminal on the stock light for hi/low beam:

eBay switch pod, Moose mirror mount, Emgo pivot mirror:

Right now I am currently using my gps as a speedo with this mount, I am trying to find a speedo/odometer I like that doesn't break the bank. So for now I am using this as a temp solution:

2003 KDX200