KIPS, wont spring closed?

Got questions? We got answers....
justinswrx

KIPS, wont spring closed?

Post by justinswrx »

New KDX owner here, and after riding the bike and noticing a general lack of bottom end I decided to check the KIPS. I pulled the slotted cover off the LHS and tried turning the KIPS shaft manually, it would only move about a 1/16th of turn in either direction. I then pulled the pipe and the sub port valves were in the open position, then I pulled the RHS cover and noticed the actuating arm was turned all the way towards the left and the KIPS shaft was turned all the way to the right. Supporiting the shaft I removed the Left handed nut and repositioned the actuating arm. The shaft now moves smoothly and all 3 valves are are opeing and closing correctly.

My question is should the valves be snapping back into the closed position? When I manually turn the shaft with a nutdriver it feels smooth but it doesn't snap back to the closed postion.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

what year?
is this a new to you bike?
are the valved carboned up? filled up with spooge?
Maybe your valves are gummed up or the previous owner didn't line up the gears properly, how were the timing mark? did the original owner do a top end recently?
sounds like the valve are not in the proper position: stuck/gummed up or not lined up.

After re-reading, sounds like the gear were not aligned right. Now that it's all back together, fired up the bike and through the slotted cover, look if the kips work when you rev the engine, it should open up, then return to close position. If it doesn't move much or move at all, your kips actuator rod might be broken. if this is the case you need to fix that asap before the parts fubar your clutch...
hope this helps.
justinswrx

Post by justinswrx »

Little history on the bike, its 2001 KDX 200 that was purchased new by my father. On the very first test ride it had transmission problems. Bike was sent back to the dealer to be repaired. Since then it has always had a strange powerband, no low end, huge midrange hit, and then flat up top. We just thought it was the nature of the beast.

The bike has been sitting for that last 6 years until I pulled it out and brought it back to life. Still had gas in it, so that was fun cleaning 6 year old premix out of the carb and tank, but she fired right up on the first kick :supz:

I recently discovered this forum and after doing lots of reading I figured I would check the KIPS and maybe that would explain the lack of low end grunt. I am assuming that the KIPS has been broken since the dealer rebuilt the tranny.

I took it for a test ride today and looking through the slotted cover the KIPS is in the closed position, it was stuck in the open position. Bike has plenty of bottom end now! But the KIPS is not opening either, Im guessing the fragile pin that is located in the crankcase may be broke :(
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

possibly why you had a tranny problem to begin with
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Sure sounds like it. Not a big deal if you do it BEFORE it gets the chance to ruin clutch basket and gear (ask me how I know...). the pin cost about 1 buck I think. The fix is easy enough. Make sure to get all the broken pieces out, might want to remove the clutch and inspect for any potential damages...
you're on the right track.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

+100 on wibs comment.