Starting top end tear down - KIPS question already

Got questions? We got answers....
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Starting top end tear down - KIPS question already

Post by turtle »

I took the RH KIPS shaft advancer cover off and removed the shaft lever nut, taking care to support the shaft. No problem there, but I could not find any paint on the gear spline for re-alignment and I removed the shaft lever before I figured that out. How do I get the shaft lever aligned on the gear when I reassemble, or am I already in trouble?

Also, the shaft that comes out of the clutch case ... it pulled out a little way, maybe a half inch or so. It slides right back in, but is there some kind of alignment inside the case that I cannot see that is now potentially messed up? If so, I will have to pull off the clutch cover and see if I can figure that out.

Finally, top end gasket kits - I assume they don't contain any gaskets for the LH or RH KIPS covers, correct?

KIPS is throwing me for a loop. I am concerned about getting it all back together correctly. Other than that it's going OK so far. The head is off. I think I am going to go ahead and pull the engine out before I remove the cylinder. More room to clean, and this thing needs it!

Thanks in advance for the help. Hopefully some day I can become more of a contributor and pay back for all the help I get from all of you here.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
tydev95

Post by tydev95 »

i have a 93 kdx so i'm not much of a help on the KIPS, but my top end kit came with a head gasket, base gasket, lh and rh kips cover gaskets, and a water pump gasket
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

some gasket kit are more complete than other i.e have the little o ring for kips part, I think it's the moose top end kit, look it up on RMATV and compare with the other kits they have.
The claw should have a dot on top so should the spline, just line them up, done.
The shaft is held by a tiny screw and a clevis? so it doesn't slide up or down too far.
I believe you'll have to remove the cover off to make sure the KIPS rod (the infamous part that breaks) is properly placed in the mechanism (wedged between what looks like 2 disks), if it's not, you get the idea of what will happen.
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Sounds like mybe my actuator rod could already be broken? If it is could I pull it out the top?
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Probably not, usually it is just the pin on the end that breaks. The gasket set I bought for my H came with all of the KIPS gaskets and seals. I can look to see what brand it was if you want.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
turtle wrote:Sounds like mybe my actuator rod could already be broken? If it is could I pull it out the top?
not likely. If you could (assuming you removed the screw holding the shaft) that would mean the kips actuator is fubar along with the 2 alen screws holding it to the shaft. Check the microfiche it'll make sense.
kdub405
Supporting Member

Post by kdub405 »

I had never been in an engine prior to my rebuild and i got it back together. Just take your time and all will be good.

+1 on the microfisce scheckaet, helped me out.
Ride on