Bolts Impossible to loosen

Got questions? We got answers....
billyp10980
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Bolts Impossible to loosen

Post by billyp10980 »

I need some suggestions. I am trying to change out the front brake pads on my 97 kdx 200. First of all the caliper bolts are not loosening at all. I even snapped an Allen wrench they are so tight. The PB blaster has been no help. The slotted screwdriver bolt plug for the brake pad bolt is not coming off either. Im having no luck here at all. How do I get things off without breaking stuff?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

First I would try an impact driver. Second if the impact driver isn't cutting it apply some heat. A small propane torch should work but be carful not to get things too hot and melt any rubber or seals. Good luck.

Some never seize or grease on the reassembly will help out next time.
billyp10980
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by billyp10980 »

The person that had the bike before me obviously never changed the fron pads at all. The bolts feel like they are welded on. LOL! Maybe ill try the heat. But im worried to ruin the brake caliper. Im ready to drill the bolt out and put a new one in.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

careful with that, I snapped an easy out screw on my rear brake (pin was seized), had to buy a new caliper cuz those bits are impossible to drill (hardened steal)...
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

They may have used loctite and if so you will need to heat it up to melt the loctite.

If all goes to sh!t I have a KX caliper I can part with. It mounts the same as a KDX and uses the same pads as a KDX but the pistons are a little bit smaller.
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

Kroil is some of the best stuff I've ever used. Soak & wait 24 hrs.
http://www.kanolabs.com/
+1 to what rbates said if all else fails.
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

billyp where about are you in NY?
billyp10980
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by billyp10980 »

Thanks for all the suggestions. For now I stopped all work before I smash something. Ill get back at it tomorrow or the next day and try some heat or other method. Right now PB Blaster is sitting in there. Why would someone loctite a bolt that needs to be taken out to change brake pads? Anyway, hopefully I can get this stuff fixed before May 1 HS. Thanks again.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
billyp10980 wrote:Why would someone loctite a bolt that needs to be taken out to change brake pads? .
Some people get nervous when it comes to brakes. They think the pads will come flying off on a down hill or something.
billyp10980
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by billyp10980 »

I guess. I personally think that you wouldn't want to loctite something that you have to change like that. Oh well, I'll get it off somehow. I'm not going to be putting loctite on the bolt for the brake pads once I get it done. Ill take my chances. LOL!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I always use loctite on my caliper bolts
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

You might try using a heat gun (pick one up at Lowe's or whatever) to do heating. It'll get hot enough to soften the loctite, but unlike a torch, it's pretty hard to damage anything.

Just put the heat gun on "High" and hold it an inch or so from the area on the caliper where the bolt threads are. Heating the bolt head itself doesn't work as well; you need to heat the area where the loctite is.

Heat it for a minute or two, lick your finger and touch the caliper every so often, when the caliper surface sizzles the spit, unscrew the bolt. Repeat for any other bolts. I've used this trick quite a bit, usually works well.
billyp10980
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by billyp10980 »

I had to take it to the shop. I was able to drill the plug(3 broken drill bits later) and and get the pin out for the the brake pads but was still not able to get the bolts loose on the caliper after 1 broken allen wrench, pb blaster, and heat. It was time to take it from the professional.
I get the bike back in the morning ready to go.
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I think those bolts were just on there forever. I don't think it was loctite. It was just plain old rust and whatever else causes those bolts to freeze up. They were petrified in there.