Best shifting transmission oil?

Got questions? We got answers....
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
KDXrider1989 wrote:hell yeah it does, but the only problem is that I have to travel at least 15 miles to the nearest dealership to pick some of it up. If I could use ATF or regular motor oil in place of this oil and get the same results, I'd be much happier to travel across the street to get some. Also it's a lot cheaper
You probably can. Try some type-f, and try some 10w-40. Rotella or the like. Different bikes seem to like different oils, so try some different things and take note of the clutch action and shifting. After that, run what you like. I'm pretty sure you could put veggie oil in there if you want to.
gregp

Post by gregp »

IMO - Different motorcycle transmissions react differently to different oils. A change of oil type can certainly have an impact on how your bike shifts. I have tried a whole assortment of oils in my KDX, but I keep coming back to regular 10W-40 motor oil. It works great for a ride or two, then shift quality starts to degrade, so I change it out. I have not been able to find one oil that offers both great shift quality, and great service life. My DR650 likes fresh oil as well, and it takes almost 3 quarts of the stuff. Given this, I use the least expensive 10W-40 I can find (usually Wal-Mart SuperTech brand), and change it frequently in both bikes.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I just tried the Belray gear saver also. Haven't road with it at all yet but we'll see how it holds up shortly.
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote: I'm pretty sure you could put veggie oil in there if you want to.

Do that. Then give us a ride report. :grin:
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org