Do you do top end rebuild in chassis?

Got questions? We got answers....
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Do you do top end rebuild in chassis?

Post by turtle »

Or do you remove the engine from the frame? Thx.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

it can be done with the engine in the frame, it's tight be it can be done.
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:it can be done with the engine in the frame, it's tight be it can be done.
yes, as scheckaet said.....it can be done in the frame. no need to take the motor out to do a topend.

just make sure you seat the c-clips good.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

and be sure to clean all the mud and crap above + stuff rags in the case
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

To me that is only a partial top end rebuilt. I suggest you to take out the cylinder itself and do a full cleaning and check for wear and tear of all the moving parts since you are getting to it.
A true KDX customizer!!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Either way will work but it's a lot easier to just pull the motor and stick it up on the bench

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

And you can get a look at the swing arm bearings if it has been a while.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Agree with Wibbs. Can be done, but you might as well pull it and be sure to do it right.

KDXsg... There's no way to do a top end, in the bike or out, that doesn't involve pulling the cylinder off. So either way, you get that far.
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote: KDXsg... There's no way to do a top end, in the bike or out, that doesn't involve pulling the cylinder off. So either way, you get that far.
I was going to post the same thing... :grin:

I generally pull the engine unless I am just doing rings. On 125 MX bikes is a good example since they get re-ringed more often.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

It's going to get a full top end rebuild and the KIPS is going to get a thorough cleaning and freshening as needed. I just did all the bearings and seals in the entire rear suspension. I am not too enthused about pulling that pivot bolt out again, even thought it's probably not that big a deal. I can pull the engine at any time during the process, but I was just going to leave it in if possible.

Is there anything I can't do with the engine in chassis that I might need to do? This is my first time rebuilding a top end of any kind, so I don't know exactly what I am getting in to.

Thanks for the input!
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

only thing to watch for is to support the kips actuator shaft when you remove the left treaded nut at the top (and same when putting everything back). But i'm sure you already knew that :wink:
I personally just left the engine in the frame, one less step to worry about. It is indeed easier to put the cylinder back on when the engine is out though, might do that if it's your 1st top end...
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Thanks sheckaet. I assume installing the cylinder is easier with engine out because the frame gets in the way?

On another note, do you guys install the piston on the rod before putting the cylinder on? I have read on here where people slip the piston part way into the cylinder then attach the piston to the rod. I can see how maybe you can't use a ring compressor when sliding the cylinder down over the piston when attached to the rod so maybe preinstalling piston into cylinder makes it easier. Is my thinking right?

I guess I will get further along in disassembly before I decide on pulling the engine. I can definitely see the benefit of doing it.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
makeshoes
Supporting Member

Post by makeshoes »

The frame is not "in the way". Just easier out of the bike. I have done two - both in the bike. On reassembly, I would suggest saving the last circlip (piston pin) for the left side of the bike - more "room" to work with. I pre-assemble the other circlip in the piston away from the bike and then just do the other one at the bike.
Good Luck!
'02 KDX200 Plated
'02 VL800