Anyone tried... (CDI)

Got questions? We got answers....
moto_psycho

Anyone tried... (CDI)

Post by moto_psycho »

... http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/CDI.html

One of this guy's CDI's? 4 way adjustable and $55 inc postage!
Last edited by moto_psycho on 08:52 am May 13 2011, edited 2 times in total.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Seen his pages before, yeah. Skeptical, but for hte price I'm sure it's worth at try. I figured if I ever needed a replacement CDI I might try his first.
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

currently waiting for mine to arrive, he quoted 2 weeks postage, that would be 2moro, seems like a pleasant guy to talk to via email at least, though if it doesnt show up by thursday (14 working days) i may cry :p
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

and it turned up :D ill let you know how i get on shortly!!!!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Sweet! Some pics would be cool if you get a chance.
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

pics are all on his website

http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/CDIinstall2.html

and only been for a spin around the block, VAST improvement! top end feels amazing!!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

What settings did you use?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah? Elaborate please. "Top end feels amazing", doesn't tell much. Also, the pics on the website are mostly crap. That's why I asked for pics.... .
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

i cant give you pics now, its strapped under the tank, atm I've got both the jumpers on, gonna give it a shot with B jumper removed on the weekend. when i take it apart ill take some pics!

top end had far more over rev, im going to try a couple different jets to make sure im at the right place, bear in mind i had the electrex coil installed, which as it has a far higher output, advances the ignition all through the rev range, good for low, bad for top. i couldn't tell you how this compares to a stock bike as mine never ran right when i got it, so all i can say is that it is a lot happier now!

for £35.02... :twisted: best bang for buck mod ive ever tried (besides opening airboxes and rejetting of course)

edit : also, stator plate is in 1mm advance position as per his recommendations
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

jumper B removed was absolutely awesome, currently running halfway between standard and advanced on the stator, A jumper in place, B removed, the mid-range is fierce as hell at the moment!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Neat. How is the quality of the unit itself? Does it seem like it will stand up to heat/water/dust/mud? In his pictures it looked like a pretty cheap project box. I guess it would be easy enough to move it into a nice little sealed up box.
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

The box is pretty sturdy (for what it is), i used duct tape and a little foam to pad out the frame under the tank then cable-tied the box to the frame, i sealed the ends of the box with silicone to keep the water out. 1 thing I did find was that in his instructions he neglected the ignition and kill switch wires, I can't remember exactly which wire I tee'd into (been on holiday past week) but got it working really easy!

Can't wait to bore my carb out at work Tuesday to gain some extra beanz!!! :supz:

This bike really does lick my old DRZ400S, I put an FCR39 on that, opened up the airbox, used the 'E' base gasket.... still there was no excitement, the KDX feels ALIIIIVE!!!!!!! :twisted:
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

picture of it amazingly mounted...

[img::]http://s4.postimage.org/4z4hq6hnj/image.jpg[/img]
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|QBB<[/url]
moto_psycho wrote:picture of it amazingly mounted...

[img::]http://s4.postimage.org/4z4hq6hnj/image.jpg[/img]
you need to clean your bike a little... :mrgreen:
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

I use it as a get around as well, I'd hate people to think I had a dirt bike and didn't ride it off road at all!
gregp

Post by gregp »

I may be trying one of these out myself. I have been experiencing high speed ignition problems for quite some time now. I tried jetting leaner, thinking that I was just running very rich, and ended up going as far as a 142 main jet. The bike ran more cleanly, but I still am experiencing high rev problems. I installed a new piston/rings just last night, and thoroughly cleaned the entire top end/ power valve assembly. Things were crusty, but not inoperative. Now, everything is in great shape, and I still am experiencing a high rev misfire. My source coil did not measure up to specs (reading ~150 ohms, rather than the 250-350 specified in the manual), so I ordered a new one from Ricky Stator. I tried measuring the CDI values listed in the manual, but I could not get *anything* to read at all with my multimeter.
This misfire also gets more pronounced as the motor gets hot.
So, Thanks for this post! Given the price of this unit, and your rave review, it seems like a bargain!
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

what EXACTLY is a CDI? :oops:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
gregp

Post by gregp »

It is the ignition module - "Capacitor Discharge Ignition".
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
gregp

Post by gregp »

If you go to the link that the OP posted, you will see exactly what is inside of it. Of great importance is the thermistor, which is a heat activated resistor, which adjusts timing as the motor warms up. Thermistors are also used in most of today's fuel gauge systems - the splashing fuel keeps the thermistor cool. This is how fuel gauges can still read fairly accurately and still allow for sloshing fuel in the tank.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
gregp

Post by gregp »

I just ordered my CDI from him. Before I placed the order, I asked him if it would fit an "H" series KDX. He replied that it should work just fine, and if it did not, he would refund my money without any problems.
He (Michael) has been very quick to respond to my e-mails, and that it usually a good sign...
2004 Dual Sported KDX200