Anyone tried... (CDI)

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yes, corporations sometimes buy their competitors product. However, have you ever heard of corporate espionage? GM has spies with cameras staking out Chrysler's test track and vice versa. It is going on in every industry out there. Some even get people hired at other companies to act as spies. Some will just flat out break the law and steal what they are looking for. Nothing I'm asking for even remotely comes close to what they all have been doing forever.

Like I pointed out already, building something from a schematic isn't stealing it. It's not like downloading copyrighted materials such as music, manuals, software, etc. Has he applied for a patent on his design or a copyright on the schematic, which by the way is a reverse engineered version of the factory Kawasaki unit, or not? If not, then I'm perfectly within my legal rights, and so is anyone else, for copying his design and marketing it. However, that is not what I'm wanting to do as I don't wish to hurt future sales of his design. My way allows him to to continue sales of his while a hobby builder like myself has the satisfaction of building it and using it for my own personal use. I don't know why that is so hard for you to understand?

Eh, I guess it really doesn't matter. He lists what he did on his website along with a crudely drawn schematic so that you can do it yourself. So, I guess he isn't too worried about someone stealing his idea. I was just hoping that osobad had a schematic that was a little clearer than the one on his website.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

I have no problem at all with what you did, osobad. You paid for the product, figured out how to improve it, and made a couple extra for friends or spares. That's totally cool. My concern was that a schematic posted up would cause wholesale copying of the design. Who knows, maybe the guy selling them will note what you've done and incorporate your changes to make a better product. Everybody wins.

Another idea is that the seller might consider selling a downloadable schematic for say, $20, to those who want to build their own and save a few bucks. Just a thought.
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

ss109, the schematic on the website shows the factory CDI, not his upgraded one with the removable jumpers. Again, he BOUGHT the CDI, figured out how it worked, and improved on it. Once he BOUGHT it, he owned it, figured out how to improve it, and is marketing an improved version with removable jumpers that he designed. That schematic is not on his website; and that is the schematic that you want osobad to post up so you can copy it for free.

Like I said in my reply to osobad, maybe you can buy the schematic from the seller; might be worth a call to him to ask. Shoot, he might even give it to you free, knowing most people don't want to build their own. I'm just asking nicely, please don't simply steal his design.

As to big corporations doing dishonest things, sure, they do, but that doesn't make it right, and saying "everybody does it" is a piss poor excuse for unethical behavior. You can do what you want, I'm not your mommy and I'm not the law. I was just making a case for doing the right thing.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Whatever. I'm not trying to steal his design. Just would rather build it myself especially for the price he is charging when it is less than $20 in parts. I guess I'll buy one myself and then I'll know how he did it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

One of you fellas could talk to the guy and offer him a partnership of some kind. Build them yourself for sale in North America and give him a couple bucks for each one you sell in return for his schematic.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
TurboStew

Post by TurboStew »

Update??????????