Revloc Dyna Ring questions

Got questions? We got answers....
billyp10980
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Revloc Dyna Ring questions

Post by billyp10980 »

Ive read some reviews on the Revloc Dyna Ring. Looks like a great buy. My question is how reliable are they in the long run?
Are they known to have any failures during a two hour hare scramble or long riding season?
Do they require alot of maintenance?
Im definitely interested in getting one for my '97 KDX 200. I just want to know how reliable they are before spending the money.
Thanks
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

NOt sure on the long-term durability at this point--they're so new on KDXs. I will be running a 2-hour HS this weekend on my dyna ring equipped E series. I'll report back.
David Eckel
Klammer

Post by Klammer »

I have a buddy thats been running a dyna ring in his 570 Husaberg now since Oct. 2010. He is ridng every weekend in the Mojave desert, 100 to 150 mile loops. He is a very aggressive ride and loves difficult hill climbs. He is very happy so far and running the original fibers. I have one of the first dyna rings for the E model KDX and am also very happy so far. I have about 20 hard rides on it so far and no issues. I change my oil every two rides with ford F type, and it's dark. Hope this helps.
Klammer
billyp10980
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by billyp10980 »

Sounds pretty reliable so far. Thanks for the feedback. I think Ill be making a purchase soon. It is very hilly and muddy where I ride. I think auto clutch would help alot in the real rough spots.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

The RevLoc works well where we live & makes hills so much easier not having to worry about the clutch.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
billyp10980
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by billyp10980 »

Cool. I ordered one. Should be here in few couple days. GH, are you doing the HS May 1?
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I rode the Delaware HS on Sunday, and the Dyna Ring never missed a beat. I still want to do some fine tuning of the engagement point, however. I was using the supplied three springs, and it was engaging at a higher rpm than I would have liked. I'll try two for my next ride. I adjusted the clutch cable a little during the event, which improved the engagement, but I would personally like it to bite just off idle. My KDX setup is so low-end biased, that any slip above idle squanders some of the awesome low-rpm tractability.

That said, I never came close to stalling during the entire event, I didn't even touch the clutch lever after the dead-engine start, I had great traction despite the slimey conditions, and it made finishing a somewhat grueling event that much easier.
David Eckel
billyp10980
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by billyp10980 »

Thanks for the review dfekel. Im glad the Revloc held up well. It's seems that once it"s in, it requires some fine tuning but I think thats expected.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
billyp10980 wrote:Cool. I ordered one. Should be here in few couple days. GH, are you doing the HS May 1?
I'm working it. I'm a club member
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
billyp10980
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by billyp10980 »

Cool, hope to see you there. I spoke to Gerry. He is working it to. I can't wait. Its nice to finally have an event close to home.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

The Frickin hills are steep & lots of rocks & ****. The trail boss has a down hill left gander on a rock face which leads to a ramp jump into the woods. NETRA courses are a MOTHER FUKA!!! :supz:
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

John W Read Jr
billyp10980
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by billyp10980 »

I'm sure its going to be a workout. Just wish I could get some good practice in before hand. I went upstate 2 weekends in a row but there was still some snow on the ground. That's tough practice. Screw it. I'll just give it hell and hope for the best. LOL!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Just trust me on this, when you install it only use two of the adjustment springs/screws!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
billyp10980 wrote:I'm sure its going to be a workout. Just wish I could get some good practice in before hand. I went upstate 2 weekends in a row but there was still some snow on the ground. That's tough practice. Screw it. I'll just give it hell and hope for the best. LOL!
Where did you go?
Bouillion

Post by Bouillion »

Got mine installed in the hybrid this weekend. Couple minor adjustments and I'm happy. Can't wait to get the bike in the woods!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:Just trust me on this, when you install it only use two of the adjustment springs/screws!
When I first got mine, it came with 3. I set it up for 2 without ever riding with 3 springs.

I'm going riding tomorrow and I pulled the cover off and put 3 springs back in.

I did that out of curiosity to see if I could run a tighter gap with 3 springs. When I had 2 in, the clutch seemed to start grabbing right off idle. That got me wondering if I was having to run a larger than necessary gap to keep the bike from stalling when stopped.

I guess I'll find out which set-up I'll keep after tomorrow's ride.
kdub405
Supporting Member

Post by kdub405 »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:Just trust me on this, when you install it only use two of the adjustment springs/screws!
+1

Installed with 3 rode one day and did not like it at all got home and put the bike on its side and went with 2.
Ride on
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I just got back from riding Hatfield McCoy with the Dyna Ring, and I'm pretty happy with it. I won't say perfectly happy, but I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm running with two adjustment springs, and it begins to engage right off idle. However, I feel that the Dyna Ring slips more than I like through the rev range. For example, I'll be motoring along in 4th at lower rpms and the clutch is all locked up. Then, to loft the front over a puddle, I'll grab a handful of throttle, and the clutch will slip until it hits a high enough rpm to lock it back up. It takes a little forethought to be both in the power and have the clutch locked up to loft the wheel in time for the puddle. So there's a little bit of a delay in that situation. It almost feels like a snowmobile transmission at times. The motor snaps up to max power with the clutch slipping, but you're accellerating hard the whole time. It works well, but it's just different than the EFM clutches I've ridden, where you get some slip at low rpm, but once it locks up, it doesn't really slip again until the rpm drops. Lots more slip with the Dyna Ring, but it eventually locks up totally at high rpm. And you are getting great traction and accellerating hard the whole time.

I just wonder how hard all the slippage is on the plates, especially since we have fewer of them in there.

Anyhoo, is the Dyna Ring autoclutch perfection? No, but for the price and simplicity, it's darned good.
David Eckel
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

I felt the same way the first few rides but I got used to keeping the bike revved out a little more and got closer to the sweet spot on the adjustment.
billyp10980
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by billyp10980 »

Of course I just got the Dyna Ring. Looks easy enough to install but of course I forgot to get a new gasket for my clutch cover. Now I have to wait on that. Ill have to do the May 1 HS without it. Good thing is I can test it on another HS on the 15th. Can't wait to try it out.