Fat Bar Conversion Parts List Needed

Got questions? We got answers....
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fat Bar Conversion Parts List Needed

Post by Velocity_Stack »

I'm interested in doing a fat bar conversion on my 00 KDX200.

To me, it sounds like it could be a big hassle, but once done, I'm sure I would love it.

I want to line up all the parts that I will need to do it, so I don't have much down time during the process.

I have Tusk bark busters that I want to use as well, but I would consider buying another set if I can't make them work.

Just wondering what all ya'll members used when doing yours and problem areas to watch out for while doing the installation.

Thanks a million!
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

What's the point of a fat bar?
'00 KDX 220R
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I believe it's for more strength and less vibration, I'm considering doing a conversion of my own whenever I rack up enough money

as for the parts list, I think you can still use the same throttle and grips, if the bars taper at each end. Other than getting different bark busters, I can't think of anything else you'd need to get besides the adapters for the bars of course. The light and kill switches would probably be fine. The clutch and brake perches might need to be replaced. Someone on here who has experience with a conversion could tell you more, I hope I helped a little :roll:
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

I actually am in the process of doing this.

-Pro Taper CR High bend (friend gave me for free)
-G2 Ergonomics bar inserts for the MSR D-Flectors I use, the bars were already tapped for the inserts
-7/8-1-1/8" mounts (eBay)
-Tusk 1-1/8" inner handguard mounts
-Fly Grips

I cut them down to 29", any shorter and my controls wouldn't all fit. I have to mount my bark busters yet, I am still waiting on the 1-1/8" mounts for those.

Also my kill switch is not staying mounted where it is in the last pic. I have a button on that switch pod I installed, I just have to wire that up yet and remove the OEM kill switch. I'll post a new picture on Saturday when I get the handguards all mounted up.

Tools for the job:
Adapters:
Inserts (not installed all the way, pic is just for reference):
Bars:
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
jth

Post by jth »

I used Pro Taper Universal Rubber Mounts Part # 02-2822. Works great, good stuff.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB<[/url]
Slick_Nick wrote:What's the point of a fat bar?
Wanna take a guess what made that hole?

:wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
KDXrider1989 wrote:I believe it's for more strength and less vibration, I'm considering doing a conversion of my own whenever I rack up enough money

as for the parts list, I think you can still use the same throttle and grips, if the bars taper at each end. Other than getting different bark busters, I can't think of anything else you'd need to get besides the adapters for the bars of course. The light and kill switches would probably be fine. The clutch and brake perches might need to be replaced. Someone on here who has experience with a conversion could tell you more, I hope I helped a little :roll:
Your inner bark buster mounts would be the only thing needed, everything else is standard size
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

My Rox Risers will accept either 7/8" or 1 1/8" bars
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
ogri

Post by ogri »

neater job is to just buy the clamps.many cheap offerings out there with different heights.

looks great once you have the bar pad on.
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

>|QBB<[/url]
Mr. Wibbens wrote: Your inner bark buster mounts would be the only thing needed, everything else is standard size
That and bar mounts. You need either 1-1/8" mounts or adapters like I used because I wanted a little more height, plus I am not using a pad because I have a GPS mount because I am using my GPS for a speedo when I know I will be running a length of road since my KDX is dual sported :grin: .

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200