Correct me if I'm wrong...

Got questions? We got answers....
mcgark84

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Post by mcgark84 »

Hi there,

i have recently purchased a 1991 kdx 200 Which i have discovered is an F (or SR) model with the steel tank and compliance plate to be registered in Australia.

i have been reading up on KX rear fender upgrades and noticed one in the bargain bin at the local bike shop for $20 so I bought it then made a discovery...

It looks like the F model has a different rear frame where the rear fender sits and the KX guard does not cover the frame (not even close!) I don't have a picture to illistrate this except this link

http://www.craig.copperleife.com/bikes/ ... kdx200.htm

You can see the frame under the brake light where the indicators go and the muffler is attached it looks lower than the e model... Am I correct??

Does anyone know of any rear fender that would cover this or any suggestions on how to get around this? at the moment the frame sticks out like dogs balls and looks very ugly so I may have to run original rear guard....
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Definitely looks different

Here's a few pics of my E

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

What KX fender did you buy? A kx125/250 will not bolt on. A kx500 will.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Yup - the F model came with extra framework under the rear guard.

I take it that you don't have the original guard. If not I know that UFO do a replacement guard for the E series - it might fit over the extra framework. If not you could always get the hacksaw out and cut off the extra framework!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/UFO-KDX200-90-94 ... 3ef888f3cf

Cheers
I may be old, I may be slow, but hey I'm still getting my leg over - a dirt bike!
michael

Post by michael »

I bought a '91 'F' frame and swapped all my 'E' running gear over, Plastic tank and all then got it rego'd, when i got the frame all that bracketry was mangled (looked like a loop out/wheelie gone wrong) so i chopped it off where it tucks back under the mudguard and they are now handles to lift/drag the bike. Oh and and attachment for a helmet lock.

That ebay link is the same guard as myne albiet alot newer, im pretty sure it would fit but my frame was too banged up to tell for sure.
mcgark84

Post by mcgark84 »

Thanks guys,

yeah it's a 250 guard. I have the original but it is old and brittle - I guess i wanted the kx fender to make her look a little more modern but in order to be practical i might have to just buy a standard one or repaint the old one.
I want to registe3r her and put a small rack on the back for a tent so I guess the frame is fairly important to keep. Oh well it was worth a try...