New to KDXs ...have a few questions...

Got questions? We got answers....
mcgark84

New to KDXs ...have a few questions...

Post by mcgark84 »

G'day great site you have here I've been on here for ages and can't stop reading all the cool stuff you guys do to your rides.

I just bought a 91 Kdx 200 for my wife but I'm fast falling in love with it and considering buying her something else and keeping it myself!!!

Juat has a few question....

Does anyone know if you can register these bikes in Queensland (Australia) ?? I've heard if they have a VIN you're sweet but not sure... Also where is the VIN is it just that number stamped into the front of the frame behind the triple clamps?

Also do you think putting a kx kicker (short one) would make it easier for my wife to kick?

If i can figure out how to post pics i will. I'm sure there will be more quiestions as i think of them thanks heaps.

Cheers,
Mark
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Yes, the number on the frame behind the triple clamps is the VIN. I think Australia had some street legal KDXs imported, but I don't know if every KDX over there was street legal. Hopefully just having a bike with a VIN is enough for you. But that's the extent of my knowledge, seeing as how I'm from New Joisey.

With regards to the KX kicker, there's divided opinion on whether it makes anything easier. Guys who don't mind a little more kicking effort like the KX kicker because it's shorter and you dont' have to move your leg so far when kicking. Other guys really appreciate how little kicking force the long KDX kicker requires. I could imagine that if your wife is on the shortee side that she may well appreciate the shorter KX kicker. However, it will require more kicking force over that shorter distance.
David Eckel
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

The extra force is barely noticeable. The KX kicker is WAY better.
'00 KDX 220R
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

>|<>QBB<
Slick_Nick wrote:The extra force is barely noticeable. The KX kicker is WAY better.
I didnt notice any significant increase in force from mine and personally I felt it was easier to kick after the swap due to being able to put some weight into the kick.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I would think the stock KDX kicker would be easier, it being longer and therefore providing more leverage. You do have to raise your knee to the sky to kick it over, something I have trouble with after a long day of riding
Dodger

Re: New to KDXs ...have a few questions...

Post by Dodger »

>|<>QBB<
mcgark84 wrote: Does anyone know if you can register these bikes in Queensland (Australia) ?? I've heard if they have a VIN you're sweet but not sure... Also where is the VIN is it just that number stamped into the front of the frame behind the triple clamps?
Cheers,
Mark
To register the bike it has to have a compliance plate fitted which is rivited to the frame on the steering head behind the headlight. The VIN no. is stamped on the righthand side of the steering head.

There were two models of KDX200 imported back then - one could be registered which was basically the SR version with metal petrol tank, oil injection, steering lock, smaller carbie (28mm), 19" rear wheel. And the E series, which couldn't be registered. The E series has a plastic tank, pre-mix only, no steering lock, 18" rear wheel and bigger carbie (35mm).

I'm in NSW but I've heard that there is some sort of Conditional Rego available in Qld but I've no idea what the scheme covers. If your bike doesn't have a complience plate, check with Qld Transport about Conditional rego.

I had a short kicker on my 1985 KDX200 and it worked fine, but when I tried it on my '89 KDX200 I didn't like it so I went back to the original kicker.
I"m only 5'6" tall and I don't have a problem using the longer kicker.

Cheers.
I may be old, I may be slow, but hey I'm still getting my leg over - a dirt bike!
mcgark84

Post by mcgark84 »

Thanks for your replies,

I checked the bike - I have a VIN and there is a plate behind the light rivetted on that says something about the approval of the australian transport act or something (I'll have to actually take the light off and read it properly after breakfast) and it has a metal tank etc. So I'll check it out but its looking semi promising!!

I'll see how i go with the kick. Cheers
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

A bud of mine just picked up a 91 today :supz: I started it with my hand. Don't need a ton of leverage on these sweet starting bikes.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Not sure exactly how it feels on an H bike, as I've only every gotten to kick them bikes with a stock lever. I have a 125 kicker on my 89 though, and sometimes I miss the stocker. With the stock lever you could kick fairly slow and even and she'd fire right up. With the shorty, you kinda do have to kick like you mean it. You only get like 1/2 the total throw, so you have to spin it much faster. The short kicker also hits the peg HARD, and so will your boot if you don't have it cocked way out to the side. And forget about ever starting it with your hand again.

It's a toss up. There were things I didn't like about the stocker, and things I did. Same for the shorty, some good some bad. It works, and I put it together cheaper than I could find a stock replacement. Good enough for me :grin:
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

I did not like that my stock kicker:
1 - had the worst boss design/material ever and wore out from like new to unusable within 6 months

2 - when the kick start lever broke off.

I had to adapt my kick to the 125 kicker and I do not like the action as much. I do like the reach of the shorter kicker. Makes cold engine start races easier.