E series Dyna Ring problem

Got questions? We got answers....
Dodger

E series Dyna Ring problem

Post by Dodger »

Well the Dyna Ring arrived “down under” last week, but so far I have been unable to get it to work properly! :sad:

If I adjust the cable so that I can push the bike in gear, then when I start the engine, it will mostly idle OK in gear, but as soon as I drive off, the clutch slips like mad. And when I slacken off the cable to the point where the clutch doesn’t slip anymore, then the bike won’t idle in gear and just stalls. My initial impression is that there is a lot of clutch slip and the bike sounds like a snowmobile with CV transmission – is that how it should feel?. (I’ve got Silkolene 10/40 gear oil in the transmission by the way.)

The clutch lever works fine and the clutch will disengage with the lever pulled in. When I rev the engine with the bike in gear and the clutch lever pulled in the bike will want to creep forward, so it seem that the Dyna Ring is working as per the instructions.

I’ve triple checked the plates are fitted correctly as well. I’m using EBC fibres and the ridge on the steel plates fit OK into the EBC plates.

When I spoke to the Revloc tech line they suggested that I try 4 springs compared to the original set up of 3 Springs. That did not help.

I’m down to 2 springs and it still slips like mad! I realise that there is probably a fine line in the cable adjustment to get the Dyna Ring to work as it should, but I can’t seem to find it. It does seem to need a lot of revs before the clutch feels anything like engaging. Is that how it is with a Dyna Ring?

My riding style may also not help – I’m a sedate rider and I tend to lug the engine rather than rev it. My KDX has also been bored out to 240cc so it would have more torque than a 200.

I guess another phone call to Revloc is called for, but in the meantime does anyone with a E series Dyna Ring have any advice for me? Thanks.
I may be old, I may be slow, but hey I'm still getting my leg over - a dirt bike!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yeah, mine seemed to slip quite a bit even with two springs and just about any cable adjustment I set it at. Still works great though! BTW, I'm running ATF and what you describe sounds just like mine so we can rule out the fluid used.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
makeshoes
Supporting Member

Post by makeshoes »

it will mostly idle OK in gear, but as soon as I drive off, the clutch slips like mad.

Try small adjustments of loosening the cable from this point. Loosen, ride, slipping?, then loosen some more. Repeat. This is what mine did also and after just a couple of loosenings it was working fine.

I did not have much luck in trying to adjust it "pushing it around the garage" Just ride it and if it does what its supposed to while riding then you should be good.
'02 KDX200 Plated
'02 VL800
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

>|<>QBB<
makeshoes wrote:Try small adjustments of loosening the cable from this point. Loosen, ride, slipping?, then loosen some more. Repeat. This is what mine did also and after just a couple of loosenings it was working fine.

I did not have much luck in trying to adjust it "pushing it around the garage" Just ride it and if it does what its supposed to while riding then you should be good.
I did try adjusting "on the move" but I probably didn't spend long enough at it. Even when I adjusted it down so that it wouldn't idle, it still felt like a lot of clutch slip and I was concerned about burning out the clutch!

I have another bike with a Rekluse Z-start and I have that set up nicely using tungsten balls so that the clutch engages sooner. As I tend to ride down the lower end of the rev range, the Z-start with this set up is fine and doesn't appear or sound as if it slips anywhere near as much as I feel that the Dyna Ring is slipping.

I do get the impression that the Dyna Ring doesn't fully engage until the bike is revving quite high - does that sound correct?

Cheers
I may be old, I may be slow, but hey I'm still getting my leg over - a dirt bike!
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

I have mine setup with two screws. I only slips when I am running a gear high. I also have mine setup so that it will not idle well in gear with the clutch out. It will only stall in extreme conditions but it will still stall. I had to set it up this way to eliminate the slip but still get the benefit of minimizing stall.