Iridium Plugs?

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Iridium Plugs?

Post by Indawoods »

Are these things worth the price $7.99 compared to the resistor plugs at $1.89 a pop?

How much better can they be? Damn.... I was just looking and I just couldn't believe what they wanted for 'em! :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jack10525

Post by jack10525 »

I had them in a supercharged miata and I really don't think they made a difference. They are supposed to last a lot longer too but the car was totalled before they were a year old. I read a few reports that said they were not worth it. Maybe on a dirtbike it's different.
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Iridium plugs, like the platinums, were designed for the sole purpose of lasting longer. In other words, the electrodes will keep the sharp edge much longer. So along with ignition parts like 8.5 mm silicon/carbon wires and no more rotors and caps to wear out, this is good for the automotive consumer. But for us do we NEED this? No. We don't need it. A $2.00 plug changed 4 times costs the same as a single iridium. There may be the possibility that the fine wire plugs produce a stronger, consistent spark than a brand new cheap-o, but I don't know. I had changed to an iridium back in November. It was perfect when I took it out in March after 400 miles. The plug would actually last longer than the bike. I mean they are good for 100,000 miles! This should be the last plug a bike ever needs. A normal plug is supposed to last 30,000 miles. That is quite a bit more than the average bike will see. I still have 3 unused BR8ES's that I may use for plug chop tests. But with an RB carb/head jetted perfectly do I really need em?
Last edited by bradf on 10:18 am Jul 10 2005, edited 1 time in total.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I tossed my iridium plug. A couple of reasons for not having it on a dirt bike:
1. The plug will eventually foul from carbon if not spooge. It's impossible to completly clean the plug and it will foul again only quicker. Mine did.
2. The other parts of the plug can fail. There's only so many times you can tighten and loosen a plug. The isulator will eventally crack and then tear up the engine. ETC.....
3. They still need to have the gap checked every so often.

I do have them in my street bike / 4 stroke. It's a Kawasaki Voyager and you dang near need an engineering degree and a small Chinese woman to remove and install the plugs. Once in a life time for that bike is more than enough.

I now use EG Plugs by NGK: BR8EG

It is a thin wire plug that will last longer than the standard NGK plugs because the center electrode is not going to wear out as fast. It still needs gapping a couple of times, but I use it mainly because I might get lazy and not change my standard plug often enough. They are only about a buck more, so it's worth it to me.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If you don't want to go for the Iridium, you may want to try a BR8EG for a "next step up" plug.

I have read somewhere that the fine(r) wire plugs supposedly require less voltage to make a spark. The following picture form the NGK site says something similar (same thing).

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's my personal opinion that the EG is a better performer than the ES. The difference is one I could feel.

Even if I made it up in my own pea-brain...that's fine with me.

The EG lasts a whole lot longer than an ES does, too.

Now...'last' means...what? Still runs? If that suits you it tickles me. There's a tad more to it than that.

The more fine the center electrode, the sharper the edge. A big fat standard ES plug is practically roundy to start with.

Besides, NGK lists the ES as a 'traditional' plug and the EG as a 'racing' plug, so you know it's better!!

Seriously, I think the cost diff twixt the ES and the EG is worth it. I think the cost diff between the EG and the EIX (EVX..whatever it is) is NOT worth it. Have I tried a rare metal plug? Nope. Why not?

'Cuz they're not worth it! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Alright... I ordered a coupla EG plugs to give em a go. You best be right CC! :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

You won't notice any difference LOL.

I ran EG EVIX and ES's in my shifter kart and there was no drop in lap times or increase either way. Better plug sure. Are we gonna feel it on 29hp dirt bike DOUBT IT. Granted I didn't do any DYNO pulls to back that up but 43hp on a 195lb kart was scary enough not to worry about 1/4hp from a sprak plug anyway :shock:

As said above though whatever tickles your pickle. I toss plugs about once a month maybe every 2. $1.45 BR8ES work just fine for me LOL

Gotta have that R in there though cause sometimes I ride with my Ipod in and the damn non resistor plugs play havoc with it :twisted:

However I do agree with CC that they will probably last longer. But honestly how many people here wait till they foul a plug to change it?? How many of us have spent countless hours getting the jetting just right and it would take an act of god to now foul a plug in your bike?? I ran the crap outa my bike with the plug that was in it when I bought it and it was jetted PIG RICH and the damn KDX still wouldn't foul it LOL
03 220R
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: But honestly how many people here wait till they foul a plug to change it??

I didn't. I waited until the insulator was worn/stressed enough to disintegrate under load..in the sand at WOT. Cost me a top-end.... That was some over a year.... :cry:

Don't listen to me! I'm the guy that thinks an Electrex light coil makes a better spark!

..well...I found out afterward that Fredette thinks so too, but...that's beside the point.

Consider the source............. :roll:

Consider the source

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I haven't tried it, but I can kinda see what CC is getting at. You may 'feel' it in the low end, but not 'see' it on a WOT dyno pull...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Exactly.

...I wasn't going to belabor the point, though.

What you feel has largely squat to do with dyno-whatever.

Consider the source

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Now, if I could only rap the bike out like a shifter kart then it wouldn't matter. If I give it a go now, all I would feel is my boys going away into hiding for quite some time...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project