H series Dyna Ring Problem

Got questions? We got answers....
bmcd308

H series Dyna Ring Problem

Post by bmcd308 »

I am having a problem very similar to the one in the E Series Dyna Ring thread. http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10195

I can push the bike around when it is in gear, so I know I have some Dyna Ring slippage. However, the clutch is never fully engaged when the bike is running, even with clutch lever pulled all the way in.

My clutch cable is adjusted very tight; almost all of its adjustment is used on the nut that is by the numberplate, and it requires pliers to turn the adjuster at the grip. The clutch pull is quite heavy at the lever.

The clutch still partially engages at idle, and the clutch lever has no effect.

Just wondering if anyone here has any ideas.
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Are both judder springs removed.
bmcd308

Post by bmcd308 »

Yes, they are.
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

All I can recommend is that you read the instructions then take it all apart and double check everything. I didn't have any problems whatsoever when I installed a Dyna Ring in my 2000 KDX 200. If you don't see anything obviously wrong while you have it apart, call Alan at Revloc.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Check to make sure the friction disc are not riding on top of the inner ridge on the steels. That is what was causing the problem on the E series bikes.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
ldspowersports
Supporting Member

Post by ldspowersports »

Agreed. First double check installation. Doing it 100% how their directions state is imperative. Then check the friction discs like SS mentioned.

Luke
http://www.woodsriderparts.com
kx54c

Post by kx54c »

i had same problem ended up loosing cable. if to tight clutch slips. there is a very fine spot and it will work great.clutch leaver has differant feel than without rev loc
big bore 2 stokes make an old man happy
bmcd308

Post by bmcd308 »

I appear to be the only person in the world for whom the install of this thing is not going smoothly. Revloc had me take it back apart and substitute one of my stock frictions for one of the Revloc frictions. Now, when I pull in the clutch, the clutch wheel seems to disengage from the clutch hub, and the teeth don't exactly line back up, and it gets stuck with a slack clutch cable.

Grrr...
bmcd308

Post by bmcd308 »

Yet another update. The reason the hub and wheel could disengage is that I had not torqued the center nut down enough - I did not use a torque wrench, and I figured pretty dang tight was tight enough to try it out. I was mistaken; it has to be really freaking tight (65 ft lbs). So now I have that problem licked.

New condition of things: 4 screws in the Dyna Ring instead of 3, 1 Revloc friction replaced with a stock friction. Bike behavior: With clutch in sitting still it dies if I put it in gear. If I put it in gear with it rolling I can ride it, but the clutch slips way too much, even with my hand off the lever. It will stall if I get going too slow regardless of whether the lever is in or out.

Pulling the clutch lever seems to have no effect on the behavior of the bike whatsoever (or maybe just very little).

To test whether it is just me and my inability to put the clutch together right I put the stock clutch plates back in, and that resulted in a clutch that worked fine, so I think I am either putting things together correctly or whatever I am doing wrong does not make a difference with the stock clutch but does make a difference with the Dyna Ring.

Brent
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I'm just throwing things out, did you install the 2 steels correctly that make contact with the Ring?

Did you soak the new fibers before installing?
bmcd308

Post by bmcd308 »

Yes and yes. In fact, I dip the fibers each time I reinstall it, which means they got their initial soak plus no less than six additional dips.

Can other people who have one of these tell me if they can stop without stalling the bike? Watching the Revloc video it appears that I should be able to stop with the clutch OUT; I can't stop with the clutch IN, and that is with 4 springs in such that the clutch slips when I try to get the front end up.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yes, I can stop while in gear and not stall the bike. BTW, I run only two springs.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

My Ring came with 3 springs, and I dropped it to 2. What made you go up to 4?

In your 1st post you mentioned how tight you had the clutch cable. I'm thinking your problem is with the cable adjustment. I don't have mine adjusted out very much.

Before installing the Ring, I had my cable set at full loose. Then after installing the Ring, I put the bike in 1st gear. With the cable set at full loose, I couldn't push the bike without the rear tire dragging.

I kept tightening the cable until I could push the bike (with a slight drag).

That got me really close to when I started fine tuning with the engine running.

The instructions mention you need to have the bike fully warmed up and I do think that makes a difference. And if you have your idle set especially low, you may need to increase that (I think the instructions mention that as well).

When you have it set properly, pulling in the clutch should make a difference as well as the bike won't stall with the clutch out and in gear.

I'd go back to at least 3 springs and start over with the clutch cable adjustment process
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

I'm pretty sure my clutch came with only two springs in it. However it came is how I installed it.

I can stop my bike without pulling the clutch lever and without stalling it . In fact, I can start it in gear without pulling the clutch lever.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
makeshoes
Supporting Member

Post by makeshoes »

I had a hard time adjusting my DynaRing by putting it in gear and pushing it (engine off). I had better luck adjusting it by riding it. At first it slipped under medium acceleration. I loosened the cable. Repeat. Then it didn't slipped anymore while accelerating. Mine does work much better with warm trans oil. I too overadjusted mine in the beginning (read too tight). I do have some drag on the clutch when in gear but nothing one foot on the ground can't overcome.

I sent Alan at RevLoc my concerns when I first installed mine and here is his reply:
"Will the bike stall if you come to a stop in gear, clutch out? If you clutch in and rev in gear does it drive forward?
If you answer NO to all these it should be about right."

Hope this helps.
'02 KDX200 Plated
'02 VL800
bmcd308

Post by bmcd308 »

<<My Ring came with 3 springs, and I dropped it to 2. What made you go up to 4? >>

Revloc tech support suggested I try it.

<<Will the bike stall if you come to a stop in gear, clutch out?>> Yes.
<<If you clutch in and rev in gear does it drive forward? >> Yes.

<<In your 1st post you mentioned how tight you had the clutch cable. I'm thinking your problem is with the cable adjustment. I don't have mine adjusted out very much. >>

I hope so. That would be something I can fix.

One thing I cannot understand is why I do not seem to get more slippage when I pull the clutch lever.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I know there is too much variation from bike to bike for this to be completely accurate, but how does your bike compare to the angle of the arm in this picture?

David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

bmcd308,

I sure wish that I could be of more help to you. Our bikes are very similar (mine is a 2000 model). Kawasaki didn't change a lot on them.

I can't think of a reason that you are having problems and I didn't. I'd never been into a Kawasaki clutch before I installed the Dyna Ring. As I've already posted, all I did was follow the instructions and install the Dyna Ring the way it was setup when I received it. I had no problems at all and the Dyna Ring works great. There just has to be something simple (like the original problem with the E series D.R.). I know that you are probably frustrated and tired of taking out and re-installing the clutch (I would be!) but hang in there. Once you get the bugs worked out you'll love the Dyna Ring.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
David_L6 wrote:There just has to be something simple (like the original problem with the E series D.R.). I know that you are probably frustrated and tired of taking out and re-installing the clutch (I would be!) but hang in there. Once you get the bugs worked out you'll love the Dyna Ring.
Agreed. The Ring is a pretty straightforward device. Hopefully it is just something small that was easy to overlook.
makeshoes
Supporting Member

Post by makeshoes »

Tedh - any chance you could also post a picture for reference of the angle when you have the clutch lever pulled in? I believe I'm pretty close to you with the lever released. Thanks.
'02 KDX200 Plated
'02 VL800