Clutch re-adjustment?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXrider1989

Clutch re-adjustment?

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I went to a motocross track today with my KDX and after a bit of hard riding there was a lot of free play on the lever before the clutch was engaged. Thinking it wasn't such a big deal, I went ahead and tightened the lever and the adjusting bolt near the clutch. After a few more minutes of riding there was a lot of slack again, so I let the bike sit for a few minutes to cool down and just call it a day, thinking I might have burnt up my clutch. But after the bike cooled down a little the slack on the lever went away, and I had to loosen the lever adjustment and bolt. I don't know much about clutch mechanisms, so I'm wondering what's up. By the way, I have a brand new clutch cable on my bike
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

The clutch plates got hot. The KDX does not have a beefy enough clutch to withstand a lot of high power low speed clutch slipping you get coming out of corners riding a t-stroke on the motocross track. The same thing will happen if your slipping the clutch a lot getting up a nasty trail.

Motocross bikes have the same problem but since their clutches tend to be bigger (more surface area) and stiffer springs they don't get as hot so they don't get as far out of adjustment.

That being said, if you ever watch the motocross races if you look close sometimes you will see them making a very quick clutch adjustment when they leave the ground going over a jump (except KTM which has a hydraulic clutch).
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

thanks man, I was thinking that they got pretty hot but had doubts; this makes sense how they do. Any way to fix this problem?
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Installing stiffer clutch springs might help but it will increase clutch lever effort. You can try an aftermarket clutch but that is gonna be more money, or lower the gearing with a bigger rear or smaller front sprocket. That will allow you to keep the bike in the power band without slipping the clutch as much.

It's gonna be hard to get around a clutch that was not designed for motocross use. The best you can do is little things that might make a noticeable difference.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Somewhere on this site I've seen a previous post about someone drilling holes in the clutch basket "fingers" to increase oil flow to the plates and furthermore reduce heat. I think someone followed through with that task on a 220, could it be done on my 200? Seems like a pretty risky job though