Clutch cable aggravation

Got questions? We got answers....
jad628
Supporting Member

Clutch cable aggravation

Post by jad628 »

Last night I was trying to install my Motion Pro clutch cable replacement and ran into some fitment problems. It appears to be about three inches shorter than the one it came with. I have no idea if the one I was replacing is OEM, but it was plenty long. When I tried to run the new one, it came up short. I bought the online manual, but it doesn't show the correct route for the cable. My KDX has higher handlebars, but surely that doesn't make THAT much difference. I checked the part number and it is correct for a '95 KDX 200.

Any suggestions and/or does anyone have a diagram of the correct routing for the clutch cable? Gracias.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

The cable routing is shown in the Kawasaki manual.
'00 KDX 220R
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
Slick_Nick wrote:The cable routing is shown in the Kawasaki manual.
That would be helpful if it was the "online" manual. Don't have the old school version.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I mean, I've got the kawi manual in both hard copy and digital PDF format. I'd post up the page you need, but the powers that be here will probably just end up deleting the post because it's "copyrighted material".

The online manual is terrible, try and procure yourself a Kawasaki one.
'00 KDX 220R
gregp

Post by gregp »

Since you have altered the design by adding higher bars, you might want to remove the tank, and headlight and do some experimenting with the routing. It usually is not rocket science, but it can make a difference if your cable length is barely long enough. Make sure you observe/inspect the cable routing closely as you turn the bars lock to lock to make sure that the cable is not getting pinched or pulled by other items.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

>|<>QBB<
gregp wrote:Since you have altered the design by adding higher bars, you might want to remove the tank, and headlight and do some experimenting with the routing. It usually is not rocket science, but it can make a difference if your cable length is barely long enough. Make sure you observe/inspect the cable routing closely as you turn the bars lock to lock to make sure that the cable is not getting pinched or pulled by other items.
That's good advice, right thar.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Did you put it side by side with your old one?

There's no way mine would ever fit even if it were half an inch to short
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
gregp wrote:Since you have altered the design by adding higher bars, you might want to remove the tank, and headlight and do some experimenting with the routing. It usually is not rocket science, but it can make a difference if your cable length is barely long enough. Make sure you observe/inspect the cable routing closely as you turn the bars lock to lock to make sure that the cable is not getting pinched or pulled by other items.
Being it came with the bars, I just ordered the replacement that was listed. Might not have been a good idea. I will do as you have suggested and see if the route can be improved. I believe it can.

Thanks!
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Did you put it side by side with your old one?

There's no way mine would ever fit even if it were half an inch to short
Yeah, after I had installed it and observed it was short! lol
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

Got it on today. It could not be ANY shorter and still work though. It is getting stretched to max when the bar is all the way to the stop. But it's on and adjusted though.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

That doesn't sound right... Mine can go stop to stop and have several inches left over.
'00 KDX 220R
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
Slick_Nick wrote:That doesn't sound right... Mine can go stop to stop and have several inches left over.
I have higher bars than stock. Apparently much higher (they came with it)
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

Okay, the maker of the cable is important. I found that the Motion Pro cable is 38.25" (sleeve) with an overall length of 42.25". The Parts Unlimited replacement cable is 42" with an overall length of 44.5". Mental note of that extra length if you have higher bars.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I've got a motion pro cable and 2" bar risers

If I ever have it off the bike I'll measure it
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS