sixsixone boots

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

sixsixone boots

Post by KDXSean »

I was looking at boots today. Tried on a pair of sixsixone flight boots, seemed really comfy.

Anybody have any experience with these, durability, sole life, etc.

Thanks
PhilJensen

Post by PhilJensen »

You can get tech 6's for $220 and they are awesome!
How much will you save by buying cheap boots? Is it WORTH it?

Phil
With tech 8's since I do occasional MX practice days...
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I am not familiar with the boot you speak of.

A general point of view (mine ;) ): If a new boot is 'comfy' I would most likely consider it to be not suitable for the rigors of woods riding.

Not to pick on your wording or anything...but 'comfortable' out of the box probably does not describe a boot with acceptable protection features.

I'd heard quite a few complaints about Tech8s along those lines (opposite end of the line)....'way too stiff' and such. I didn't pick them out...they were a gift..purchased because they were thought to be among the best protection available.

I think they are.

Sure...it took awhile to break them in...wore them around the house...mowing the lawn and such. They are very 'comfy' boots now..and I was very grateful I had them last weekend (the latest example of which there are many) when my foot came between the bike and a protruding root.

I'm not trying to sell a particular boot. I don't know that the boot you speak of is cheap. I do wonder about the 'comfy' part, though.

**edit** Just looked 'em up.

From the ad: 'Exclusive air flow venting system vents internal boot heat.'

Vented boots are great for the track...they aren't for woods riding. Well, unless you never deal with wet.

From the ad: 'Top boot gator with velcro closure seals out mud and debris.'

It doesn't say anything about water.

$270 US?

That's about the cost of an Alpinestar 6 boot, I guess (for comparison purposes). A side note...you can get M6s with either a slip OR lug sole. I had lug soles on my M6s. They were nice in the woods!!

Another side note...the M6s are probably no more waterproof than a vented boot. They leaked like a seive!! One puddle and my feet would be soaked. That's not true of the Tech8s. They stay pretty dry...well very dry if you tape the tops.

**edit summore**
Note this written by an archaic foot-braker!! :wink:
Last edited by canyncarvr on 02:55 pm Jul 08 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXSean »

Thanks for the opinions gentlemen

I've actually never had proper boots before, been using workboots. Recently, my foot got crunched with a stump and luckily no damage was done, but it certainly got me to thinking boots are definately necessary.

The 661's aren't cheap actually, I can get a pair of tech 6's for less. I'll keep looking.
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

I have the Tech 6's and I can't say enough about how nice they are. I will say they were comfy from a foot standpoint the day I put them on my feet but very stiff in the ankle and took a at least 3 weekends of hard riding, getting them wet 2 of 3 times beofre they broke in (lol I mowed the lawn in mine too but I was on a riding mower. does that count?).

I paid $240.00 for mine and they were worth the investment. They are fine doing water crossing till you go over the top them it pours in. Duct Tape will be in order for the next wet ride.

I've also owned Garne boots in the past and they are also good choices as you can't beat italian craftsmanship when it comes to boots. Even cheapo boots would be better than no boots. But a minor investment in quality can last years if you take even halfway decent care of them.
03 220R
PhilJensen

Post by PhilJensen »

Yeah, the tech 8's are SERIOUS protection, and I love mine so much I bought TWO pairs ;)
But not everyone who still uses an archaic foot brake for trail riding loves the tech-8 boots. My buddy tried mine and hated them. Said it was too stiff for the foot brake.
I don't have a foot brake, so no problem with them being stiff for me. I love the super stiffness and superb protection in the tech 8 boots, I have cased jumps, hit stumps, rocks, logs, etc. and it never seems to hurt like it did before with my cheap Oxtar boots.

But for the guys still braking with thier foot - the tech 6 boots are supposed to be one of the very best for trail riding.

If you want the tech 6 boots (or any other parts/gear) for the cheapest price call:

Central Alabama Motorsports in Clanton, AL.
205-280-0601
fax: 205-280-0920
Tell them Phil Jensen sent you and you should be able to get the same discounted pricing I get.

And they could get you the 661 boots cheaper too if you want. I have never seen them, but sixsixone's other products seem to fall apart real easy - hope their boots are not as bad as their armour.

HTH,
Phil
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

They may have changed the M6s somewhere along the line. The gusset (maybe the wrong terminology cobbler-wise..the material between boot latch and boot hook sides) on my boots was not at all waterproof in either material or construction. I siliconed the pee-wah out of 'em...that helped, but certainly did not render them water'proof'.

I agree with FLAK's manner of thinking...cheap (bike) boots are certainly better'n no boots. You're MUCH better off getting good protective gear than you are modifying your bike for more speed/power. The best you can afford. Maybe a bit better'n you can afford even. :wink: It will pay off at some point.

Maybe I should call Central Alabama Motorsports, order an EFM clutch (and hand brake stuff)..tell'm Phil Jensen sent me...........

THEN I'll just be archaic myself...but I won't be no archaic foot-braker!! :wink:

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hey CC; Remember FarmerJ and his new boots? They were so stiff, he had a miserable time of it that morning he wore them. I don't remember what they were though.

Tech 6's are a great boot; Very comfy but leak like they were fishnet stockings. Not a bad thing for me out west in the heat.

I also have a pair of O'Neal Elements; about the cheapest boot on the market. Wore them twice before getting the Tech 6's off eBay. I hang on to them as my back up boots, just in case.

I'm not a fan of any "bootie" boot and I think the Tech 8 is one. Too much to deal with.

The Tech 10's: 3 guys I met at enduros had them and were pissed off about them. The plastic parts were breaking after only one race. At that price they were livid.

Check eBay and get the best boot for the cheapest price. Mine were about $100 due to the seller getting the wrong size and not knowing it until he wore them a couple times on the trail.

Get that auto clucth!!! An awesome piece of design work. Then get the hand operated rear brake and toss the foot brake. You KNOW you want to CC. Ha!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
John McIntosh

Beginner Boots

Post by John McIntosh »

I'm with Sean, I've been using my work boots to ride in for the past 6 months. One of my ankles got jared on a rock and I can definately see the need for riding boots. I checked ebay and on-line sources and it all gets a bit confusing. I want a comfortable boot (Is that possible?) that will not interfer with the foot brake and will be somewhat water proof. Most of my rides involve crossing water so I need them to be somewhat water proof. I have a limited amount of money to spend so they need to be affordable. Any ideas?
John (Mack)Mcintosh
Mack (Bel Air, Maryland)
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXSean »

If anyone's interested, I found 661's website

http://www.sixsixone.com
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'm sticking with Alpine Stars... I've had the competition... or lack there of. I've got M4's.... bottom of the line BUT not really. They have a ATV sole...which I love in the woods and they are light. They are heavy duty just like all AP stuff. I love 'em!

The hardware is a little cheap but replaceable for a cheap price though. Had 'em for 2 years now and still stiff like new. :lol: I think I paid like $150 or so for 'em so they were a good investment.

I think you owe it to yourself to really look hard at the AP stuff. :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Inda:
Doug has a pair of the AlpineStar Tech 4's and loves them. They are holding up, or were before his garage was broken into and everthing was taken, as well as my tech 6's.
The insureance company would have replaced anything he said he had, and he got another set of the 4's.

It's a good choice and the price is awesome.

Everyone just rember, the woodsrider is not going to want a pure MX boot. We do more than just ride for a moto or two during a ride. Keep that in mind when buying boots.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Farmerj's boots were Tech8s (well, sez me).

If your habit is to rotate your ankle to reach your archaic foot brake, you're going to have problems with a 'better' boot. I keep the ball of my foot on the peg...move my leg to brake, don't rotate my ankle.

Yeah, I hear 'ya on the 'pure MX' boot part. Still, my T8s have held up much better than other boots I've tried. My M6s didn't last for diddle...not close to a year!!...and they leaked the whole time. Oh, 'didn't last' means plastic breaking AND the sole not holding up.

If I found a better boot than the T8s, I'd buy a pair. If I had a pair of boots for two years and they were still stiff, it would be because I didn't have a bike to ride!

Oh..on booties. T8s do have them. I think they're great! So there...... Oh...and I like my clutch too!! :wink:

Consider the source

FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

I will never ride on the balls of my feet again :shock: I had a roomate who rode that way and broke both his ankles in GOOD boots cause of a hard landing. Hard as in Supercross overjump and brutal flatlanding LOL Still aftetr watching that and having to deal with his whinney ass and push him around in a wheelchair for 6 weeks I'll never ride on the balls of my feet LOL

Boots or no boots a hard enough landing will bend your feet up riding on the balls. I'll stick to riding with my feet in the proper location thank you LOL :wink: And bend my foot to reach my archaic brake lever you auto clutch weenies :mrgreen:
03 220R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

FLAKDX wrote: I'll stick to riding with my feet in the proper location thank you LOL
So, in your opinion, what is the proper location?

I think those vented boots would work fine, just buy a pair of Rocky Gore Tex socks, they are beechin!

I've got a pair of A.R.C. Corona boots, they are good enough for me. They even have a lug sole with some traction, I can't see spending $250+ on a boot with a sole about as worthless as a bowling shoe
:rolleyes:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

LOL Proper location is right in the middle of the foot. There is a reason alot of boot manufacturers make a replaceable insert for that area. Thats where most people ride. It's all feel on your bike though. If your comfortable on the balls of your feet more power to you.

Unless you have an auto clutch and a hand brake I can't see how you would ride on the balls anyway since your shifting and braking would require you to move your move feet back constanyly to get leverage :?
03 220R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

So are you saying the arch is the proper location? LOL

Yeah that'll sure keep your foot from getting screwed.... :lol:

'til you catch your toe on a rock or stump and bend you foot right around the foot peg :shock:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Someone is talking about jumping stuff (sitting down?) and some other one is talking about riding in da woods (not standing ALL the time..)

If you're sitting with your feet on pegs at the arches...and your butt is NOT up against your sissy bar (you DO have one'a those, right?), you will...'catch your toe on a rock or stump and bend you foot right around the foot peg'!!

...LOL.... :wink:
Last edited by canyncarvr on 03:36 pm Jul 11 2005, edited 2 times in total.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

All depends on if I'm standing or sitting... standing is on the balls... sitting is in the arch.... Just whatever seems right I guess....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXSean »

Tech 6's sound like something I'm interested in. Tried 'em, they felt good too.

Are we talking about leaking on a creek crossing, or leaking as in splashing through a puddle.

I wouldn't expect getting wet from a puddle.

Not that I'm afraid of water or anything, but dry feet are nice. And I can't resist ripping through a puddle :lol: