Anybody done much port fettling?

Got questions? We got answers....
moto_psycho

Anybody done much port fettling?

Post by moto_psycho »

khl
Last edited by moto_psycho on 05:33 pm Mar 17 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Boost bottle, maybe worth it, maybe not. I've heard it both ways. Doesn't seem enough to be worth the trouble. If it adds power anywhere, it will be low-mid, so that is what your friends DT125 exhibited.

As for porting. Take it to an expert. You don't know what you're doing. Waste of time.

hehehe. Sorry, could not resist. I have nothing helpful for you there, but I am certainly interested to see if you get any good results. Without a method for flow testing the cylinder, it seems kind of pointless to me to start hacking on the ports. If you are brave enough to have a go at it though, I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Be sure and take pics!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Last thing I'd ever want to do with my KDX is port it

Heard about too many people over the years that sent their stuff to "so called" pros and specified "port for pump gas" but ended up having to run race gas
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

As I said, I am interesting in just improving the flow, not actually changing the porting, I am talking about fixing the defects that are left behind by the rough casting methods that actually keep bikes cheap!

Though I will be milling the head so the piston has the right squish band clearance for the piston/conrod/crankshaft accumulative tolerance error :D!

I'm definitely going to do it as a lot of it is common sense, just matching the cylinder to the crankcase and gasket, smoothing out the ports (this is not a 4-stroke so a porous port is not required for atomization!), smoothing the points between the 2 ports, adding a slight radius to ports in the cylinder (stock they come too sharp, not good for flow or piston rings).

Putting it plainly, I'm not trying to improve on kawasaki's design, just polish it a bit (as they can't really employ people to attack every engine with a die grinder to perfection).
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
moto_psycho wrote:I'm definitely going to do it as a lot of it is common sense, smoothing out the ports (this is not a 4-stroke so a porous port is not required for atomization!)
Do you have data to show? Why the hell wouldn't it need to be atomized?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Gonna have to concur with scheckaet. I've always understood that the rough casting helps matters. If smoothing it out makes any difference, I don't know if it would be for better or for worse. Either way I doubt it will be enough to notice. Like I said, without some way of flow testing the cylinder how will you know? Butt dyno? Not always reliable. It's pretty easy to trick yourself into thinking it's running better.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

My understanding is that you want a rough intake port to aid atomization and a smooth exhaust to promote flow and help reduce carbon buildup.

Rough doesn't mean casting flaws and such, but rather you don't want a mirror smooth surface.

I could see port matching being worthwhile, but not much more beyond that.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
Tedh98 wrote:My understanding is that you want a rough intake port to aid atomization and a smooth exhaust to promote flow and help reduce carbon buildup.

Rough doesn't mean casting flaws and such, but rather you don't want a mirror smooth surface.

I like this post.
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

>|<>QBB<
Tedh98 wrote:My understanding is that you want a rough intake port to aid atomization and a smooth exhaust to promote flow and help reduce carbon buildup.

on a 4-stroke that is correct as it goes straight from carb, through the valve to the combustion chamber.
2-strokes are completely different as they travel through the read block, through the crankcase, through transfer ports, into the combustion chamber, out the exhaust, then back in the combustion chamber. atomization has and will never be a problem on 2-strokes, it is all about flow.

hence why all 2-stroke tuners provide a "port & polish" service

once again, i started a thread asking for decent 1st hand knowledge and experience and have found myself having to explain the reason why i and everybody that has ever tuned a 2-stroke has done it!!!! i know what i'm on about and am looking for members of the kdx community that have tried it too!! if you have never done this mods for yourself please do not reply, its incredibly frustrating and time consuming having to explain.

and if you haven't any experience then at the very least please read this book before offering your "expert" opinion, either that or link me to the book you've written http://www.kreidler.nl/artikelen/perfor ... m-bell.pdf
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

If you are such an expert why even bother bringing it up?? :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
gregp

Post by gregp »

OK. I have done it. On several motors, one being an H series KDX. To be 100% truthful, it would be a reach to say that it made a definate seat-of-the-pants improvement. It made me feel good, though, and it certainly did not hurt anything, power-wise. I usually clean up the transfer port vanes (at the base of the cylinder), as they are usually a bit rough and sometimes have some sharp edges. I have heard from reputable tuners that these vanes should not be "sharpened" but rounded nice and smoothly.
I also clean up any obvious imperfections that I find.
So, I recommend that you go for it. As long as you do not do anything drastic, the motor will run just fine, and you will feel good inside!
While you are at it, I presume that you will disassemble and clean the entire power valve system, and this is always a good thing to do.
Fredette offers a porting service, just for our bikes, but I am unfamiliar with what is entailed in this process. It is reputed to be a good mod, though.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

"i know what i'm on about and am looking for members of the kdx community that have tried it too!! if you have never done this mods for yourself please do not reply"

I come on this site to help, share and LEARN from the same kdx community.

You don't have to jump on your high horse when someone asks a genuine question.
I've been here quite a while and haven't seen many polish their cylinder. Usually when a topic doesn't show up often there's a reason, i.e it either doesn't work or the gains are hardly worth the effort, that's why I ask for an explanation about the atomization since nobody really gave a good one for it.

"its incredibly frustrating and time consuming having to explain"
took you about 2 lines to explain...that's all that was needed.

if you haven't any experience then at the very least please read this book before offering your "expert" opinion
I don't think anybody gave their "expert" opinion but simply tried to share some of their knowledge...

Where is Carv when you need him :rolleyes:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:

Where is Carv when you need him :rolleyes:

Reading ride reports at ADV
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

>|<>QBB<
gregp wrote:OK. I have done it. On several motors, one being an H series KDX. To be 100% truthful, it would be a reach to say that it made a definate seat-of-the-pants improvement. It made me feel good, though, and it certainly did not hurt anything, power-wise. I usually clean up the transfer port vanes (at the base of the cylinder), as they are usually a bit rough and sometimes have some sharp edges. I have heard from reputable tuners that these vanes should not be "sharpened" but rounded nice and smoothly.
I also clean up any obvious imperfections that I find.
So, I recommend that you go for it. As long as you do not do anything drastic, the motor will run just fine, and you will feel good inside!
While you are at it, I presume that you will disassemble and clean the entire power valve system, and this is always a good thing to do.
Fredette offers a porting service, just for our bikes, but I am unfamiliar with what is entailed in this process. It is reputed to be a good mod, though.
:prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:
ohhh god thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

and to the rest of you, god knows why it doesn't come up in this community, perhaps because KDX's aren't at the peak of any race series, but if you look on forums for RD/RZ's or RG/RGV's or KH's and GT's THERE IS LOTS OF INFO
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
moto_psycho wrote:>|<>QBB<
gregp wrote:

and to the rest of you, god knows why it doesn't come up in this community, perhaps because KDX's aren't at the peak of any race series, but if you look on forums for RD/RZ's or RG/RGV's or KH's and GT's THERE IS LOTS OF INFO

whoopdeefuckingdoo :roll:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

lol.

So the dude you're thanking says take your time, do it right, and you won't be able to tell a difference in how the bike runs but you'll feel good inside? That gets an "Oooohhhh god thank you!!!"

And those of us who said don't waste your time get a big fffuu?

Nice. How about, don't waste your f'n time? Pretend you did it, then you can still have the good feeling inside without the wasted effort ;).
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:lol.

So the dude you're thanking says take your time, do it right, and you won't be able to tell a difference in how the bike runs but you'll feel good inside? That gets an "Oooohhhh god thank you!!!"

And those of us who said don't waste your time get a big fffuu?

Nice. How about, don't waste your f'n time? Pretend you did it, then you can still have the good feeling inside without the wasted effort ;).
My turn - I like this post.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Geeeeze, guys, lighten up on Psycho. He isn't going to hurt anything.

Hopefully he'll do some polishing and come back and say "I did this and the results was......"
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

He might be on to something, most of the post I have read were saying more about it causing issues but maybe those port jobs just went to far?
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

My understanding is that you want a rough intake port to aid atomization and a smooth exhaust to promote flow and help reduce carbon buildup.

+2. Do not mirror polish your intake ports unless you like lots of spoo. I would match, and that's it....Unless you want to actually change the power characteristics. The most gain is in the head (lathe).
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project