KDX250 - Should I?

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I brought her home today! He met me out at one of our local riding areas this morning. We rode from about 9:30 to 12:30 and I was on the KDX250. Put about 35 miles on it and it ran perfectly. It is now parked next to my 200! :mrgreen:

You know, I don't understand why they quit making this bike? The only things I can think of is that it is physically a larger bike than my 200 and it feels like like it, turning isn't as sharp as my E (but I think I might be able to work on that a bit), so traditional KDX riders didn't like them. It really is a shame as it is a great bike. This thing is an absolute torque monster. It has a 4t pull to it yet still has that 2t explosiveness. It pulls hills and stuff without using the clutch that I would have been working the 200 hard. Just a good dose of throttle and the wheel reaches for the sky. I think I love this bike! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

Good deal! I hope you enjoy it.

I don't think I've ever even seen a KDX250. Some 200s and 220s around here but not many (that I know of). People just don't know what they're missing by looking over the KDXs. I was once guilty of that myself.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

There are 2 or 3 that frequent one of my riding area's. There is one that turns my head every time I see it. Looks like it just rolled out of the dealership. CLEAN!

I haven't gotten to ride one yet, but I sure would like to. The engine is basically a kx250 powerplant, ported and geared for a little more torque and a little less snap. Sounds perfect!
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:This thing is an absolute torque monster. It has a 4t pull to it yet still has that 2t explosiveness. It pulls hills and stuff without using the clutch that I would have been working the 200 hard.
One of the best dirtbike 2t motors ever made imo. If I ever run across a clean one for a good price, I'll buy it without blinking. Never would have sold mine except that it was cheaper to buy something else than fix all of the problems. (Which is the reason I have a 220 now.) That 250 KDX engine is the only thing that would make me even consider building a hybrid. Wonderful, wonderful powerplant.
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:I haven't gotten to ride one yet, but I sure would like to.
If you are ever down this way just let me know and I'll let you take her for a spin.

>|<>QBB<
sped66 wrote:>|<>QBB<
One of the best dirtbike 2t motors ever made imo. If I ever run across a clean one for a good price, I'll buy it without blinking. Never would have sold mine except that it was cheaper to buy something else than fix all of the problems. (Which is the reason I have a 220 now.) That 250 KDX engine is the only thing that would make me even consider building a hybrid. Wonderful, wonderful powerplant.
Yeah, the engine performance actually shocked me. I really wasn't expecting the grunt it has. I rode a Yamaha WR250F last week and it didn't have nearly the torque the KDX250 has. Plus, the WR could not rev anywhere near as fast nor does it have the power up top that this engine has. This has got to be one of the best all around engines ever and definitely the best I have had the opportunity to twist a throttle on.

BTW, it does have a few goodies on it. Renthal Fatbars, IMS super stock pegs, aluminum skid plate, Acerbis Rally Pro hand guards, pipe guard, and a Pro Circuit pipe and matching silencer. I think I did OK! :mrgreen:

Lastly, if anyone has an H series tail light assembly they would like to unload cheap please let me know as I need one!
'11 GasGas EC250R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Had some problems with the bike last weekend. It just wouldn't rev for nothing. Almost finished a loop and it just died about a mile from the truck. Great. I let it sit a bit and then it started back up. I managed to get it back to the truck but rit was running really rough. I thought it was a carb problem but it turned out to be just a plug. I guess the old gas killed it.

Went out and rode a bit on the 250 today. No problems whatsoever. I swear, the more I ride it the more I love this engine. Hope it doesn't ruin the 200 for me! :mrgreen: Now if I could onlt get this bike to turn... :?
'11 GasGas EC250R
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:I thought it was a carb problem but it turned out to be just a plug.
If your bike still has the stock carb slide you will likely continue to experience trouble. Even with the leanest jetting possible, my 250 ran rich & fouled a plug every other ride. I'd post a link to a helpful TT thread if I could, but it'd just end up a thumperpud here. I'll pm it to you over on TT in case it might be of interest.
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Cool! Thanks!
'11 GasGas EC250R
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

awesome find,I keep kicking myself for not grabbing the one I had a chance on years ago.But at the time i had my kdx and a kx 250 and just had nowhere to put it :sad: I haven't seen one for sale near me since.