220 top end questions - preparing for rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

220 top end questions - preparing for rebuild

Post by turtle »

Got some questions, gang. My bike is an '04 220 and I don't know what piston is in it (shame on me :oops: ). I bought it last June and it's had a rough life. I can't imagine it has the original piston but who knows. I rode a few times last year but I know I need to rebuild it, even though that makes me kinda nervous.

So, questions: I have seen some sites offering Wiseco kits with an oversize piston, 70mm. Rocky Mountain (where I buy most of my stuff) only offers the standard piston size, 69 mm. Is it necessary to open it up first and see what the bore measures before I order a kit? Or is it really uncommon to need an overbore?

I was thinking of just getting a head gasket and pulling the head to see what piston it has, measure the bore, and look at the plating, and if I find a Wiseco in there, since it runs good, compression is good, etc., I would just button it up and ride it for now (there's a ride next month I really want to make). If I tear it down and it needs replated I won't be ready.

Is there anything else usually needed besides the piston kit, gasket kit, and needle bearing? What takes me so long on projects is finding this and that as I go along, and having to wait for new orders to come in. I'd like ot avoid that if I can.

Thanks for thoughts, opinions, etc., but I really need to know if I should order a kit or tear it down first to see what piston size is needed. Thanks.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

since you don't know the history on the bike might be a good idea to have a peak before you order. Who knows maybe it is a wiseco, maybe the plating is gone, maybe not.
Can't comment on the oversize issue, I always get the std from RMATV, but I know the story on my cylinder...
you'll need a top end kit, piston, ring, clips, wrist pin, bearing and coolant. I usually order spare set of rings and clips especially since they tend to jump out of the way when trying to install them :wink:

I also like to have a spare kips actuator on hand (the one that tends to weaken/break if you don't support the kips actuator shaft)
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Thanks scheckaet.

Does anyone have a part number for that actuator? I looked at fiche but I can't tell which part it is. I'm a KIPS dummy at this point.

Can a head gasket be re-used? I think not, but not sure?
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I wouldn't reuse a head gasket if I can help it.

If it is running O.K., I'd start collecting parts and do the job after your ride next month. The standard bore on a 220 is 69. If it has been bored, I should think it would have to be sleeved.

I'd go ahead on the assumption that it is a 69 mm and that it will need to be replated.

Scheckaet will have to answer on the KIPS part. I think he is talking about a pin and a bracket that holds it.
If you are reasonably carefull the rebuild will go fine.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26 ... er(s)(1_2)
part:
13236-1260
LEVER-COMP,GOVERNOR
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

some reuse the head gasket, if you're in a bind, why not, clean it good and apply some coper spray (I think)
It's already in the top end kit so I'd wait until after that ride to take it apart.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I've had no problem re-using a head gasket after having the top end apart various times. Probably have had my top end apart a dozen times, and have only purchased maybe 3 gasket kits.

Definitely pull it apart, inspect everything, and then you can be sure to order the correct parts. It is unlikely that you will need an oversize piston, unless a PO jacked something up.
budpat105

Post by budpat105 »

Turtle, I'm from Central IL also and new to riding. Is the ride at a public riding park?
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Yeah, just to be clear, I was only thinking of reusing the head gasket if I took a preliminary peek inside and put it back together till I do the top end.

budpat, my sister in law used to live in Jacksonville. Been there myself. The ride is the Leaf River dual sport ride, near Byron IL. Maybe see you there? http://www.forestcityriders.com/Schedule.htm
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
kdub405
Supporting Member

Post by kdub405 »

You should note that the nut on top of "LEVER-COMP,GOVERNOR" has LEFT HAND threads!!!!!
Ride on