pipe

Got questions? We got answers....
ez

pipe

Post by ez »

hello a new freind with the same kdx as mine rode it and said i needed th/e woods pipe+ he added a reed valve and new jets. I rode his and could;t tell much difference. only his was mutch harder to start. can i put a woods pipe on alone and expect any difference. love my bike except for front forks
jumping is no problem however landing is another story
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

a pipe will be a great improvement and you'll need to re jet accordingly to fully benefit the improvement.
Bike harder to start? jetting is probably off.
search jet and needle for tutorial on jetting.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Sorry Ez, can't remember what year or model your KDX is. Generally you want a woods pipe for a 200, or a REV if you ride a 200 in lots of wide open places. If you have a 220 you want the REV pipe only, unless you NEVER ride in wide open spaces.

Aftermarket pipe does make a pretty noticeable difference in power delivery.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

love my bike except for front forks
Then change what you don't link first. Suspension is often overlooked over power mods. I doubt many people can give the bone stock motor all it's got (in woods) on the stock suspenders. My next KDX will retain stock exhaust for stealth factor alone.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Valid point Fuzzy. I do think the stock pipe is better as a boat anchor than an expansion chamber though. The stock silencer is actually quite nice, and very quiet. Suspension first is definitely a good idea though!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, the pipe does have a lot to be desired :mrgreen: I'm curious to see how a stock exh does with all the 'off-idle' mods like RB head & carb/DF3 cage...Pipe's not doing much right here, and this is the KDX's sweet spot. If she's a little lame up top, but super-quiet I'm good with that. Would then love to compare it side by side with the same config, but with a woods pipe.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That would be a great experiment.
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:Valid point Fuzzy. I do think the stock pipe is better as a boat anchor than an expansion chamber though. The stock silencer is actually quite nice, and very quiet. Suspension first is definitely a good idea though!
while this may apply for the newer bikes the old e series pipes,once modified where quite the hot item back in the day :partyman:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, I had modified my stock E pipe. The DG i'm running still kicks it's butt. Gutting the stock pipe was a major pain in the ass too. Still a viable option for an E owner though.