Believe my clutch basket is wasted ROUND2 - need help

Got questions? We got answers....
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

I thought I'd update on my progress. I "fixed" the groove in the one finger. Anyway, I feel a little better about it. I got rid of the sharp groove, smoothed out all the sharp edges and transitions, then polished the heck out of it. I did all of this to try and remove or at least reduce any stress concentrators on the finger.

I finished filing the basket. Holy cow it seems like I took off a lot of material! But I only dremeled/filed till the surface was flat, then polished it up to try and make operation as smooth as possible.

The clutch kit is here, so I just have to clean up the basket and I am ready to reassemble.

How long do I have to soak the clutch plates?
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

A couple hours at least, overnight if you can. I've replaced a few plates and just smeared oil on them with no ill effects.

I usually put them in a ziplock bag with a 3-4 ounces of oil.

I'm not going to tell you how to put the clutch back together. I generally have to do it three times before I get it right.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:
I'm not going to tell you how to put the clutch back together. I generally have to do it three times before I get it right.
:mrgreen: I hope I can beat that. Maybe only do it twice. :wink:

Thanks for the info. How's that basket look to ya? I'm concerned about how much material came off. I have not laid the plates back in there since I got it done to see how big the gap is now, but it is going to be noticeably biger ....
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

I took off probably as much material on mine last month when I filed and it works fine. I can't compare against a brand new clutch basket, but you should be fine. Yes - that gap between the tabs on the clutch plates and basket are going to be way over spec, but the only other option is to buy a new basket. None of us want to go that route if we can spare the $200.
1989 KDX 200
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

SUCCESS!! It's all back together and it works (and I got lucky the first time, Karl!). I rode up and down the ddriveway a couple times. Clutch pull is stiffer due to the heavy duty EBC springs that came with the Tusk clutch kit from RM. Doesn't seem like a problem but after a day of riding it might be noticed.

Thanks to everyone for the help and guidance. Top end is next ...
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R