I need advice on two frozen screws.

Got questions? We got answers....
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

I need advice on two frozen screws.

Post by Fatherof2 »

I am totally unable to get either of the screws on the rear master cylinder protector cover loose. This is so strange to me as I have had an easy go of taking off the swingarm and shock. I have tried an impact screwdriver as well. No luck, these things dont budge. At this point, both screws are pretty buggered up. Can someone please advise me on the best way to handle this?

Thank you very much,

D.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Have you tried heat?

I mean as in a propane or mapp gas torch
Last edited by Mr. Wibbens on 04:55 pm Feb 21 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

My impact screwdriver came with a few bits

There's one that is a big and sharp philips head that usually works well

Or if it is really buggered you could try cutting a slot in it with a rotary tool
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I got a set of thsoe craftsman bolt removers. Haven't had them not work yet.
'00 KDX 220R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

all they seem to do is take more material off making it even more impossible
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Make sure you are preloading your impact screwdriver before you whack it with a hammer
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:all they seem to do is take more material off making it even more impossible
If I can tell that it might do that, I grab the impact. Even on small bolts.
'00 KDX 220R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Try hitting the head of the bolt good and hard with a hammer and punch before trying the impact driver again. Make sure you support the part so nothing moves.
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Make sure you are preloading your impact screwdriver before you whack it with a hammer
Wibs, perhaps I am not using the impact screwdriver properly. What do you mean by preloading the screwdriver?

It may be too late anyway. The head of the screw is pretty bad now. Pretty rounded out. I may need to grind a slot into the head and try and use a flat screwdriver.

I had less trouble with the swingarm and rocker arm. Kind of wierd that these two little screws are giving me so much trouble.

Thanks again for the help,

David
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If you have to, you can grind the heads off, remove the guard, and then try to remove what remains with a pair of vice grips. Last resort kind of maneuver, but it will usually do the trick.
500 HORS

Post by 500 HORS »

Wasting your time if you don't use heat, Worst case spot weld an old driver to the screw, the heat alone will make removal a cake walk.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Fatherof2 wrote:>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Make sure you are preloading your impact screwdriver before you whack it with a hammer
Wibs, perhaps I am not using the impact screwdriver properly. What do you mean by preloading the screwdriver?

It may be too late anyway. The head of the screw is pretty bad now. Pretty rounded out. I may need to grind a slot into the head and try and use a flat screwdriver.

I had less trouble with the swingarm and rocker arm. Kind of wierd that these two little screws are giving me so much trouble.

Thanks again for the help,

David

I find that it helps a lot if you hold the driver with pressure in the direction you want the screw to go before you hit it, otherwise it never seems to work very well
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

If there is anything left of the screw you can use a screwdriver dipped in valve grinding compound (or Comet in a pinch).

If it's too late for that then grind a slot in the head with a Dremel tool and use a flat tipped screw driver.

As a last resort you can drill the heads off with a #30 (or even a #21) drill bit. Drill only a little and then pop the head off by rocking the drill bit (if your experienced) or using a punch that's the same size.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

As mentioned, if there is any bite left, heat up the area if possible. Pop the bolt real good with a punch, then do what wibby said. Preload, and pop and turn. If all else fails, notch. If that doesnt work, can you weld? Weld a nut on it with a extractor rod. Use that to turn it out. If that isnt an option, you can snap the head off, and then drill it out and use an easyout.
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Just don't use those cheap ass HF bolt extractors DAMHIK :prayer:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Definitely never use a cheap easy-out...Learned that the hard way! Too soft to work, too hard to remove once snapped off.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Thanks guys.

I guess I am going to pick up a propane torch and a grinder.

Does anybody know if a cheap HF grinder will work for gringing a slot into the head of the bolt?

Thanks again,

D.
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

From where you are right now:

1) spray it with some good penetrate, PB Blaster, etc.

2) Use a dremel, or even a hack saw blade to make the slot (you mentioned a cheap HF grinder. Sure, one will work, but the bit is important. You want a good surface area for the slotted screwdriver bit to be able to gain purchase on for torque w/o slipping off. A grinding type head won't make such a good, thin slot as a rotary-type tool like a Dremel does with a cut-off wheel).

3) Heat it with a propane torch. Take care to protect anything that reacts badly to heat around it

4) If it fails to come off, buy a good quality easy out or bolt/screw remover. I have two Craftsman types that have never failed me. Drill it out with the appropriate bit, tap the easy out into place, and use a tap wrench to turn it.

5) if you reach this point with no success it is a place I've only been a couple of times and it was before I had the Craftsman easy outs. In those cases, I drilled significantly deeper until I had drilled through the entire bolt. I stepped up bits until I was right at the limit of the threads and used a tap & die set to re-cut the threads.

6) The weld on bit trick sounds useful, but I've never had to do that.

7) If you are still unsuccessful at this point, I'd suggest getting someone else to help. But I bet you'll succeed.
Last edited by jad628 on 12:28 pm Feb 22 2011, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
Fatherof2 wrote:Thanks guys.

I guess I am going to pick up a propane torch and a grinder.

Does anybody know if a cheap HF grinder will work for gringing a slot into the head of the bolt?

Thanks again,

D.
Definitely get a torch. Heat will quickly become your favorite tool for sticky bolts and such. That rotary tool that Wibs posted will do the job for you better than a grinder. Those cut-off wheels are great for making slots.