KDX Lighting Stator Rewind How-To

Got questions? We got answers....
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: KDX Lighting Stator Rewind How-To

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Yeah I was going to say try to put a load on in and see what happens, it wouldn't hurt. Do you have the lights already?
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

OK.

You did get the part about 'Do you have the black wire grounded to the frame?', right?

This will be a FLOATING ground setup. The rectifier may be 'grounded' through its body for HEAT dissipation, but that won't be a 'system' ground.

The -30-120VAC part may well BE fine. That doesn't say anything about the CURRENT behind that voltage.

Which..is why I asked what the input was when everything was hooked up. IF the voltage drops considerably (NOT referring to hooking it up to an AC regulator), that is an indication there is not ENOUGH current being generated to MAINTAIN a useable voltage.

Which...is what you could get with a single pole stator as opposed to a multi-pole stator.

Ask the TrailTech guy THAT! 'Might this work with a single pole stator?'

BTW lesser wattage (power) isn't more 'efficient' unless the output is comparable. Ex: A 1000 lumen output takes 30W. Therefore, that load reduced to 20W using a different lamp is more efficient.

Uh...no.

NOT if the output of the 'new' lamp is 100 lumens.

Strictly speaking, it IS more efficient power consumption-wise, but it is NOT more efficient in doing what it's SUPPOSED to be doing, Illuminating 'stuff'.

I'm not arguing for or against this setup. I AM pointing out the logic flaw of the conclusion: 'This is better!!'.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

I was thinking about getting a trailtech reg/rec and converting to dc, but after some reading on people who have tried them on kdx's the stock stator was not capable of making any decent power to convert for halogen lighting, even a rewound stator was not much better! (unless you switch to LEDS)

so most stuck with rewound stator using standard ac for the lights, then just used a 12v dc battery if they wanted a horn/indicators etc.
best regards
john

ps: fujiroller , just noticed you will be using 10w front leds, take a look at this thread, it should also point out where you are going wrong with your wiring!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843374

best regards
john
Last edited by dude541 on 10:09 pm Mar 06 2013, edited 1 time in total.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

You can get an AC horn. Even LED tail/brake lights will work on AC. You only need a battery if you want turn signals since I haven't seen any flasher units that work with AC.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Well who needs turn signals anyway?
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Roadhazardguy wrote:Well who needs turn signals anyway?
Well, some states require them if you want to dualsport your KDX. Luckily, here in AZ we don't have that problem! :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Yeah I know, we don't need them here either. Lol

Actually they do make AC flashers. http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-P ... c_2/163497
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Roadhazardguy wrote:Yeah I know, we don't need them here either. Lol
Yep, AZ and TX are two of the last free states! :supz:
Roadhazardguy wrote:Actually they do make AC flashers. http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-P ... c_2/163497
Good find!
'11 GasGas EC250R
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I asked the ADV-guy how his KDX turned out.

Haven't gotten a response.

Seeing as he said he was going to post updates three months ago, and hasn't, I would guess his 'plan' didn't work.

That he posts a diagram of 'how to' do it doesn't mean a thing. The diagram is fine. Getting it to work with the OEM KDX coil?

That is not at all related to drawing a picture of where 'stuff' goes.

Consider the source

dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

canyncarvr wrote:I asked the ADV-guy how his KDX turned out.

Seeing as he said he was going to post updates three months ago, and hasn't, I would guess his 'plan' didn't work.

That he posts a diagram of 'how to' do it doesn't mean a thing. The diagram is fine. Getting it to work with the OEM KDX coil?

if you read the first sentence you will see he states he has tested the system for a year without issue before making the post...........and also goes on to say.............so I figure it is time to share so others can steal my ideas and improve on them.

best regards
john
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

dude541 wrote:

if you read the first sentence you will see he states he has tested the system for a year without issue before making the post...........and also goes on to say.............so I figure it is time to share so others can steal my ideas and improve on them.

best regards
john

I did read it. I read it again, too. I did miss the place he says he '..tested it for the past year..' on a single-pole KDX (US!). For good reason, though, because he didn't SAY that.
I came up with this one and have tested it for the past year without issues so I figure it is time to share so others can steal my ideas and improve on them.
KDX? Not mentioned. Neither is any other bike.

NEXT paragraph:
My KDX comes stock with an accessory output on the stator that runs a head and tail light on AC power. This wiring schematic will work on any bike that starts out as such.
Accessory output? As I have never heard of such a reference, or read of a stock (US!) KDX OEM stator being called that, I do not presume that description to APPLY to a stock (US!) KDX OEM stator. Additionally, he does NOT say that is the bike to which he applied what he '..came up with.'

I did not say what he documents doesn't work, that he didn't do what he said, therefore he is a big fat liar that lies all the time.

IF one reads his post as proof positive that a stock (US!) KDX OEM single-pole lighting coil performs satisfactorily as noted, one would need a whole lot more space between the lines than I get from my 'version' of the post.

Words mean things, as does the absence of words. The former works rather better for the concise and meaningful conveyance of information than does the latter.

Don't bother reading any snottiness or upturning of the nose into what I've said. There is neither. The ADV post can be understood as you have indicated you do..and be a correct understanding. That such an understanding takes WAY too much presumption? That is simply true.

Consider the source

dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

canyncarvr wrote:
dude541 wrote:

best regards
john

I did read it. I read it again, too. I did miss the place he says he '..tested it for the past year..' on a single-pole KDX (US!). For good reason, though, because he didn't SAY that.
I came up with this one and have tested it for the past year without issues so I figure it is time to share so others can steal my ideas and improve on them.
KDX? Not mentioned. Neither is any other bike.

NEXT paragraph:
My KDX comes stock with an accessory output on the stator that runs a head and tail light on AC power. This wiring schematic will work on any bike that starts out as such.
Accessory output? As I have never heard of such a reference, or read of a stock (US!) KDX OEM stator being called that, I do not presume that description to APPLY to a stock (US!) KDX OEM stator. Additionally, he does NOT say that is the bike to which he applied what he '..came up with.'

I did not say what he documents doesn't work, that he didn't do what he said, therefore he is a big fat liar that lies all the time.

IF one reads his post as proof positive that a stock (US!) KDX OEM single-pole lighting coil performs satisfactorily as noted, one would need a whole lot more space between the lines than I get from my 'version' of the post.

Words mean things, as does the absence of words. The former works rather better for the concise and meaningful conveyance of information than does the latter.

Don't bother reading any snottiness or upturning of the nose into what I've said. There is neither. The ADV post can be understood as you have indicated you do..and be a correct understanding. That such an understanding takes WAY too much presumption? That is simply true.

in the title of the post it states 2004 kdx200 to dual sport conversion.........

I came across it and put the link up for someone who wanted to do a similar conversion, does it work or not? I don't know........as personally I don't believe everything I read on the internet, but why go to the trouble of such an in depth post if it don't?
if anyone wants to copy what this guy did then they do it at there own risk.
best regards
john
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

GE-Pratt/Whitney/Rolls jet engine comparison

Post by canyncarvr »

in the title of the post it states 2004 kdx200 to dual sport conversion.........
Yep. It does.

So?

Consider the source

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You're in the UK.

It occurs to me you may think a KDX200 there is the same as a KDX200 here (US)?

It's not. Which is why I said '(US!)' repeatedly.

The ADV poster is in Massatwoshits, he says. HE may well have a Canadian bike.

Consider the source

dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

canyncarvr wrote:You're in the UK.

It occurs to me you may think a KDX200 there is the same as a KDX200 here (US)?

It's not. Which is why I said '(US!)' repeatedly.

The ADV poster is in Massatwoshits, he says. HE may well have a Canadian bike.
yes I am in the uk,
but as stated the link was put up for someone else, not for myself.
we don't all own the SR model over here, and from what I have seen the rest seem to use the same wiring system/components etc. depending on year.
I use a US site for my part numbers, and just give them to my local dealer!
best regards
john
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

My own take on that conversion, since I have done one with a stock stator, is that I can't see how it would pass the legal lighting requirements. Yes, all the pieces may be there but there is no way the light output would meet state regulations, IMO/IME, with the stock stator. Relays take power, then the constant on head and tail lights. Add in the brake light when stopped and a turn signal? Nah, I just can't see it but, hey, I've been wrong before. With a rewound stator I think it would work very well. However, to get an LED head light bright enough that it is actually usable is not cheap! Figure $200 and up. :shock:

Now, on the actual setup, the relays are not needed so I am confused as to why the guy included them. It can be done way simpler, using less of the stator's limited output, and get an even brighter more usable system. If you look here on KDXrider, somewhere, I posted a schematic for doing a dualsport conversion using a stock stator minus turn signals.
'11 GasGas EC250R
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

SS109 wrote: However, to get an LED head light bright enough that it is actually usable is not cheap! Figure $200 and up. :shock:
the guy who put the post up paid $119 each for the 2 leds he purchased for the front light! :shock:
I to don't understand why he used so many relays!
best regards
john
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

SS109 wrote: Now, on the actual setup, the relays are not needed so I am confused as to why the guy included them. It can be done way simpler, using less of the stator's limited output, and get an even brighter more usable system. If you look here on KDXrider, somewhere, I posted a schematic for doing a dualsport conversion using a stock stator minus turn signals.

To The Web Robin!!

CLICKY!

Here we have an 'expert' mechanic that posted a wiring diagram for a KDX. As noted earlier, everything on the web is true (I say...thass'a joke, son!), so we know this will work.

NO RELAYS!

But...no WORKEE either.

:rolleyes:

The bike lights would be very bright........

What is wrong with this picture?

:hmm:

Consider the source

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

canyncarvr wrote:
SS109 wrote: Now, on the actual setup, the relays are not needed so I am confused as to why the guy included them. It can be done way simpler, using less of the stator's limited output, and get an even brighter more usable system. If you look here on KDXrider, somewhere, I posted a schematic for doing a dualsport conversion using a stock stator minus turn signals.

To The Web Robin!!

CLICKY!

Here we have an 'expert' mechanic that posted a wiring diagram for a KDX. As noted earlier, everything on the web is true (I say...thass'a joke, son!), so we know this will work.

NO RELAYS!

But...no WORKEE either.

:rolleyes:

The bike lights would be very bright........

What is wrong with this picture?

:hmm:
No voltage regulator? :mrgreen: To be fair, that is the stock '89 KDX200 wiring diagram from the service manual. In '89 the KDX did not have a VR. Kawasaki realized the error and in '90 installed one so owners would quit complaining about blowing out their bulbs! :grin:
'11 GasGas EC250R
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Oh. Never mind. :partyman:

No regulator is fine as long as the load is designed to fit the output. But then, have a bulb go OUT and it's WHAM...BAM..and no Thank you, m'am.

Consider the source