Fork Springs…Question

Got questions? We got answers....
Toby from MO

Fork Springs…Question

Post by Toby from MO »

New member...first post.

I hope to be the proud owner of a bone stock 2000 KDX 220 tonight.

I’m somewhat of a rookie when it comes to having only two tires under me. The bike will be used for trail riding…i.e. mostly as “chase” bike to my 6yr old son. Long story short…no racing, jumping, hare scrambles, etc…

One of the first items on my list is heavier fork springs from FRP. I weigh about 225 lbs. Several folks, including Jeff F., have told me the factory fronts are way to soft. They’ve also suggested the rear could be left as is. Suggesting it’s rated for 180-210 lb rider and with mild trail riding it would give a plush ride with no worries.

This leads me to ask about the different spring rates available for the forks, from FRP. By FRP’s published data I should go with the .40 spring to accommodate my weight. That said, again considering my intended use of the bike, would these be considered too stiff? If I was to opt for the .38 springs it seemingly should give the same plush ride and I would then have a balanced spring rate from front to back…in theory.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Toby
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

For 225Lb you are looking at at least a 0.42 spring. I had 0.38's in my stock forks and a 185, they were still too soft.
'00 KDX 220R
gregp

Post by gregp »

Toby, the stock springs are .34's, I think. My suggestion is to just ride it the way it is, and see how you like it. I rode my 1996 200 for well over a year with stock fork springs and they were fine, even at higher trail speeds. The bike will turn super sharp, that's for sure. I just learned to ride around the soft springs, and kept the front end light when I encountered the rough stuff. For your intended purpose, they will probably be fine.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

^ +1

I also weigh about 225 and I rode my 2000 200 for a full season on the stock forks. Like said before just ride it and see what you need to do after some seat time. You may also want to save your money on springs and just do a fork swap next winter. The stock forks do leave much to be desired but they do work. I would make sure that the rest of the bike is good to go before spending money on fork springs, not that good suspension isn't needed also but with a new to you bike you don't know what you have until you have had it for awhile.
Toby from MO

Post by Toby from MO »

Thanks for the responses guys!

Well it's official...I've joined the KDX family tonight. Bought the 2000 model 220.

I must say I'm excited. I've researched and researched and researched some more. I started my search from scratch. I believe I've read more in the past 3-4 months than I ever have...new vs. used, 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke, Red vs. Blue vs.Orange vs. Yellow vs. GREEN, trail vs. track, wide ratio vs. close ratio, light vs. heavy, etc...etc...etc...

At the end of it all I think I made a great choice and I think I found one heck of a deal on what seems to be a well cared for bike.

Paid only $800...
- Compression (cold) 150 psi…plug looked perfect.
- Started (cold) on 2nd kick…was able to immediately remove choke for idle
- Brake pads looked to be 75%...both rotors looked great
- Wheel bearings had zero play
- front fork seals looked great…sliders in perfect condition
- Rims look as close to new as possible for being 11yrs old.
- Factory rear tire was worn…I see this as good as I get to pick what I want
- lower shock mount bearings had no play
- all factory plastic was intact with no major wear…normal wear/tear…few scratches/scuffs
- Decals are a little tattered…looks like someone got carried away with a power washer.
- Renthal bars & grips
- steering stabilizer
- Acerbis hand guards
- stock pipe & silencer (great shape)…also good as I can pick what I want as my experience grows
- o-rings in chain looked to be deteriorating...some broke, falling out…new chain needed
- rear sprocket had a little wear but seller gave new factory replacement with sale

Always risks when buying a used bike but I don’t think I got hurt.

Toby
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

congrats on the new bike. 800 bux :shock: and with a stabilizer? hell of a deal :supz:
if you done your reading about the kdx then youknow about the stock 220 grenade piston, that's what I'd check and replace immediately.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

WOW, That sounds like a great deal! :grin:
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I would take the swingarm/shock linkage apart and grease it.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Pics?? :grin:
'00 KDX 220R
Toby from MO

Post by Toby from MO »

Does this website have a member pic gallery to host pics or do I have to use a different website to host pics?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

You will need another website for hosting. Photobucket is what I use.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Good deal Toby! Congrats!

FRP has my suspension now. Jeff is great to work with.

Enjoy,

D.
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Welcome, Toby!

Another consideration to keep in mind is that your intentions for the present time are as a "chase" bike as you call it. But, in the not too distant future, your KDX will develop a mind of its own and will have you doing all those things you say you aren't planning on doing ... racing, jumping, hare scrambles, etc…

It just happens ... :mrgreen:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
Toby from MO

Post by Toby from MO »

Here's a couple of pics. Not great pics but all I have right now.

Another thing...I had decided to put a few rides on the front fork springs before I made any changes but I'm not sure I should hold off. They are soft. Thus far I haven't had it on a trail...just a few test rides up and down the street. Running up through the gears, on the throttle a bit, I can feel them go to full extension as the front tire lifts from the ground. Off the throttle it really dives. I don't think it close to full compression but certainly enough to make me take notice. I can only imagine it would be much worse on some terrain.

It's getting a new pair of tires/tubes , sprockets and O-ring chain this week.

Anyone have any feedback on Dunlop MX51's? Also considering Bridgestone 403/404's.

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Heard the 51's are great but wear really fast. I know nothing about the Bridgestones other than the last one I had I absolutely hated it. Unfortunately, I can't remember what model it was.

As for recommendations, what area of the country do you live? You might check out the Maxxis line or the new Motoz. The Motoz have been some great reviews so I decided to give them a shot. Haven't mounted them yet as I'm currently starting my rebuild so no first hand knowledge just yet of how they do.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Look at the Pirelli Scorpion MX's. I heard good things about them, so I bought a set. Freakin AMAZING tires for off road!
'00 KDX 220R
Toby from MO

Post by Toby from MO »

>|<>QBB<
Slick_Nick wrote:Look at the Pirelli Scorpion MX's. I heard good things about them, so I bought a set. Freakin AMAZING tires for off road!
I've looked at Pirelli. I've also heard good reviews but they offer nothing in an 18" rear that I have found.
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

They definitely offer Scorpion's in 18". I put one on my '88 KX125 last summer and just now a quick check on eBay showed several sizes in 18".
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
Toby from MO

Post by Toby from MO »

>|<>QBB<
Coop wrote:They definitely offer Scorpion's in 18". I put one on my '88 KX125 last summer and just now a quick check on eBay showed several sizes in 18".
Good tip...I have not been looking on Ebay. I've been shopping a few online stores and it may be they don't have current stock in 18's therfore they don't list them.

Thanks.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have been using a maxxis on the rear for the last season and it held up very well. I turned it around about half way thru just because.

Nice looking bike! I would look into getting a skid plate for it also.