washer for clutch pusher + clutch wear question

Got questions? We got answers....
chadr
Supporting Member

washer for clutch pusher + clutch wear question

Post by chadr »

My bike was missing the clutch pusher washer

When I was in there doing some other work I installed a new one and found the clutch would not engage even with the cable slack adjustment set to the max (both adjustment points). I had to take the cover back off to remove the washer. The cable adjustments are almost at the maximum again so I plan to install new clutch discs and plates soon.

I'm sure my clutch is very worn out now, but is there any problem running the clutch all the way until it just doesn't grip anymore? I didn't measure the thickness of the discs when I had it apart so I don't know if they are beyond the wear limit.

If I didn't remove the washer I would have had to replace the discs already. Is this washer meant to be removed as the clutch wears down?
1989 KDX 200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The washer is a shim. It is used to adjust the clutch arm on the clutch cover. There is a section in the book about it. They say you could have 0,1,or 2 in there.
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

Thanks

Is there any problem running the clutch all the way until it just doesn't grip anymore
1989 KDX 200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

That would be a personal choice. If it is still grabbing good I would run it Until I had some other indication that it was bad. It could also be that your clutch cable is stretched out and that might be where your adjustment went.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Get all you can out of it, for sure. Also, yes, check the cable as was wisely mentioned above. Clutch cables are cheap, might as well replace it before you go and spend on a clutch kit.
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

Well, a stretched cable would actually work ok for me here. A cable with less slack will not allow the lever to go back as far as a stretched one would. I do have a new cable waiting to go in too once the clutch no longer holds. I'll run this clutch till the very end :)
1989 KDX 200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

If your out of adjustment room how would a stretched cable help?
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

i really doubt the cable stretches much, but my perch and in line adjustments are nearly all the way in to allow the cable to have the most slack possible. There is no way to get more slack. I don't know why the adjustment needs to be a the extreme end but I assumed it was the clutch wear. As the clutch wears down I think you have to add slack to the cable to get the freeplay at the lever back to where it was (~2-3mm). Is that right?

It sure is much easier to adjust it then discuss adjusting it. This gets confusing.
1989 KDX 200
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

My '89 does not have that washer. My factory manual says '' re-install washer if provided''

I will check tonight to confirm but I'm almost sure :grin:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Those shims are to adjust the lever angle. If it is more than 90° add a shim, less than 80° remove one (if present at all). Any more than two shims and you need to check your plate thickness.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
engybenjy

Post by engybenjy »

My lever doesnt move more than 45 degrees......
Gaffa Tape is like the Force. It has a Dark Side, A Light Side and it binds the universe together.
And nothing says bad workmanship like wrinkles in the kidnap tape!!!
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I think the angle being measured is between the cable and the arm.
David Eckel
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Yup