Top 10 Best woods bikes?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You got the last word correct. Look again on the first word. What are they and what do I work on?? :grin:

Sorry to nerd out on the avatar, but I thought the lime green dividing line was a nice touch. :lol:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ah... I get it... mine made sense too though! :lol: A guy sticking a fork in a receptacle would be better! Work on it! :grin:

All this talk about the new Honda's and price etc.... I am going to go down tomorrow night and make a major purchase... that's right... I'm gonna buy a new counter sprocket for the KDX!
I know I know... some will say that what I have is good enough but nothing is too good for my bike! A new 12 tooth sprocket will give it more low end grunt and I will still get over 25 hours out of the top end! :lol:

LONG LIVE THE 2 SMOKERS!!!!!!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

The KX250F only had a lighting coil in 2004, i'm not sure if the 2006's have it or not. Electrex makes an aftermarket lighting coil kit for the 05's now. The 04's had a one piece water pump/oil filter cover forcing you to drain the coolant to change the oil. The 05 had a two piece cover so you didn't have to remove the coolant first. Boyesen makes a two piece cover as well that has a larger impeller to help keep the bike running cooler.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I wil have to pass. I don't think being associated with sticker shock OR electrical outlet shock would be good for me.

I made a Kawasaki related purchase today. I bought a Monster energy drink. It has Team Kawasaki info on the back. They should have proper dosage information on those cans, though. I didn't feel much more energetic. I guess fat folk need more than one can. :lol:

WOW! I Just looked at the can and it says, "Consume responsibly - limit 3 cans per day. Not recommended for children, pregnant women or people sensitive to caffeine."

Thanks for the info, m0rie.
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

I have heard that Jason about the top-end. I've also been told if you keep the valves adjusted on either the CRF's or the YZF (that includeds the WR's and X models) they do NOT self destruct like the POS kawazuki 250F's. After my initial ride on the 250x I know I can go the longer period as I'm not going to be blasting it around a MX track and trying to ride it like a 125.

I guess the main reason I'm looking at the Honda is it's reliability factor for a modern high reving 4 stroke (the Yamaha's are also top notch in this area) and the fact that the 2 strokes will be gone in a few years like it or not. Eventually we will all have to make the switch. :oops:

I called my friend who I grew up with that now owns Riva power sports in Pompano. He'll put me on a new 06 250x for $6000.00 out the door. He's seen my bike before and said he can give me $2500.00 on trade. Not bad since I only paid $2200.00. (hmmmm I think I spent more than $300.00 since I got it though on consumables LOL) I told him I gonna wait till I run the first Hare Scramble of the year and decide after that. Since he's a powersport dealer he can also put me on a left over 05 RM250 for about $5200.00 after the 06's hit the floor. Suzuki will still pay contingency for a 1 year old bike. :supz:

That new 06 Carmicheal replica is pretty sweet too but he said no breaks on a limited edition $6400.00 :cry:
03 220R
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

if your spending that kind of cheese, why not get a KTM or GAS Gas. the new KTM sx250f looks like a blast and has had rave reviews, right out of the box.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

if I go Honda it's because it's a HONDA LOL

I've looked at the KTM's a few times and even considered a 300exc or a 200exc. No mortals are going to get there hands on the sx250f this season. Next year they will be around but this year they are only coming in a very limited supply and race teams and folks with pull will scoop them all up Quick.

Gas Gas and TM are both super cool bikes but not having local parts support would scare me away. I have every jap dealer and a KTM shop right down the rode.

KTM's, TM's and GAS GAS are all even more expensive then the any of the jap brands and replacement parts are higher as well. It's like owning a BMW or a Porsche then getting the bill after service :shock:
03 220R
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

As of now possible future choices would be

Honda CRF250x $6399.00 225lbs
Yamaha WR250f $6099.00 234lbs
Suzuki RM250 $6099.00 212lbs

Outside chance of ownership

KTM 300mxc $6398.00 221lbs
KTM 200exc $5848.00 220lbs
KTM 250sxf $????? 200something lbs

Just looked at the Gas Gas site. the 200 250 and 300 enduro 2 strokes come with full DOT road gear (lights and turn signals :) that could be alot of fun. can't find a website with MSRP's for them though. There are 2 dealers in the state :neutral:

edit DAMN I just found the MSRP's for TM's :shock: Try $7000.00 and UP
They do make a sick nasty looking Black Widow Super Motard bike for 11k thats street legal LOL

Why is it that TM's and Gas Gas enduro bikes come with full DOT road gear and nobody else does?? I buy the Honda TODAY if I could ride away with a tag on the back and not have to jump through a bunch of Hoops to get an off road only titled bike registerd for street use. I know it can be done but it's a PITA in Florida.
03 220R
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

so those KTMs don't appear to be more than the others you are looking at. And no valve issues to worry about, buttery smooth clutch, and race ready out of the box. The 300, is suppose to be scarey fast, and the 200 is a modern kdx on roids, right? They actually have some of the 250sxf in ohio i read, but they are proably 7000+. The KTM dealer here in 'nooga, is the only one i like dealing with and is not a total jerk volume seller. although i do not have a ktm, i still use them for stuff i don't like doing. all being said, my next bike i will add to the quiver will probably be a 250, just not sure if i want an X, or WR vs a R or YZ. supposedly you have to cut down the throttle stop on the WRs and cut the "grey" wire to get YZ timing, and a couple of other mods, then it is a peppier bike. my buddy has a WR400 and hates the throttle stop, just haven't cut it yet.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

WOW, is that a front rotor I see so close to that TM' front wheel??? That thing is huge! The caliper must be halfway up the fork!

Good luck finding a KTM 300 anything; they are nowhere to be found in central NC.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

holy cow! the ATK sight shows a 700 cc 2 stroker. my arms hurt just thinking about trying to hold on to that thing. :lol:
yeah it's $10,000, but damn! oh to win the lottery.

http://www.atkusa.com/newsite/ProductsIntimidator.aspx

it kinda makes my mouth go dry looking at it. that would have to be desert only for me.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

wanaride, thanks for pointing out the caliper. I guess there are no ruts in supermoto. :grin:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

ATK; Forgot about them!!!
Heck a used one is better than most stuff out there new.
Off to eBay and see what's available.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

They have 2 300s on the floor at greater Yamaha down the street. one EXC and an MXC.

On that TM above thats a Rim Rotor. they have a similar setup on Buell street bikes. There is a big ass bracket off the fork leg to get the caliper in position but they work very effectivley as I've ridden the Buell before.

I just picked up the new Dirt Rider last night and I have to say the 200exc is more appealing than ever. Lightweight, simple 2 storke maintenance, much better suspension than the KDX and a resonable price tag. I think KTM may have just gone up a notch or 2 on my list LOL :lol:
03 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... since I'm getting older and such... I really don't need anything super high performance anymore....

As Dave Mustaine puts it "my body aches from mistakes" so my modded out KDX 200 suits me just fine. I don't live in "tree hugger heaven" so it will be a long time before that stuff gets to my neck of the woods. I think I will stick with my green machine for quite some years to come. I would love to have a new bike but the costs after all the accessories are just too great. And I really don't think they have proven themselves as of yet. Who knows...all this may change tomorrow but for now... I'm a kdxrider! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

94-up WR250 of course! Yamaha of troy has a lifetime of parts. Very minimal changes bewteen '94 and it's extinction.

89-up KDX's of course. 'Nuf said.

Later RMX250's (built off MX frame, like a WR). Good luck w/ parts. Plus they changes almost every year.

Converted MX 250's like Jason said. Con: No wide trans.

Maybe an XR as they are dead-reliable, but I hate 4T's :twisted:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project