Top 10 Best woods bikes?

Got questions? We got answers....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I still say I can get a 2006 KX250 closer to a woodsbike that a KDX rider would recognize than any other. It wouldn't be cheap, but then if I told you how much I have in my KDX, I'd have to kill you.

(You won't let me list a KTM but if you did, the 250 or 300EXC would be my first choice, hands down)
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I find the KTM's a little radical. Throttle control is a absolute must with them. Not forgiving at all. If you race...fine...it's your bike. (had one...I know of these things)

Therefore I find 4 strokers better suited for the task in the woods. But, the KDX is as close to a 4 stroke as your going to find. And the light weight and flickability adds to the pluses for the KDX. If the KDX didn't exist.... I might be opted to get a KTM 200EXC but other than that it would be a 4 stroker, maybe a KLX since the ergos are good and the motor is of the older school of technology. Meaning not on the verge of explosion. Maintainance is something that I also look at when deciding on what to buy... so until they can get these modern 4 strokers to at least 2 stroke standards.... I will stick with the 2 stroke KDX or old school 4 strokes.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I've never ridden one of these, but if it came in lime green and was about $2000 cheaper I'd prolly have one

You can smack it into a tree, throw it down a cliff , have 4 of your buddies carry it back up and jump on it and ride...

That's an AWESOME woods bike in my book!

Oh, and it has a BUTTON
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That is a very nice bike!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Yeah, truth be told, I'm thinking about just that for an upgrade next year Lord willing. I haven't heard one bad thing about 'em yet. I don't think you can beat a 4T's power delivery for woods riding; well, with my meager riding skills that is. A really good rider could make a 10 speed bicycle handle in the woods, but somebody like me needs some help! :mrgreen:
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just seen a new TTR250... those are NICE! I had no idea that they redesigned them to that extent! Looks like a blue KLX! :lol: They need to bump them up to a 350 though.... THEN they would have something. Oh...and uh... USD forks!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Speaking of USD forks, I saw a picture of the new TTR-50 in DR yesterday and even that little bike had USD forks! Oh well...

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

I've ridden an 05 CRF250x. :shock: That is one of the finest handling, smooth power, super comfortable off road bikes I've ever had the pleasure of throwing a leg over. I can't say enough good things about that Honda. I have bleed green for many many years but if Kawi doesn't step it up in the next 2 years (thats how long I plan to own my current KDX) I'm going to Ride Red. I'm also seriously considering seting up an RM250 for woods work as Suzuki offers hands down the best contingency program of all the big four jap manufacturers. They pay $400.00 for a win at any FTR hare scramble or enduro even in the C class. Nobody else comes close to that. $400.00 would more than pay for any weekend race, travel included :partyman:

BTW wannaride they aren't really USD forks. There is no damping built into those forks they just have a spring in them. The XR50's from honda come stock the exact same way.
03 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What is MSRP on the CRF250X?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

$6399.00 :shock:

Just for craps and giggles I applied for Honda Financing. If you can get Honda Credit you can get ANY credit. When I worked in the bike shops Honda Financing was BY FAR the hardest to get. They won't even look at you if your Beacon score is below 700.

Hmmmmmm I wonder what trade-in value of my KDX would be??? :mrgreen:
03 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

JC! Do you know how many throw away KDX's I could buy with that kinda jack?!!!!!!!!! :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

LOL Yeah a whole bunch. Still I was really impressed with the handling. My intial impression when riding it was "I can go real fast for a LONG time on this bike"

Trade in is around 2800.00 for a good condition KDX 220 according to Kelly Blue Book. That would bring in a 3 year term payment to just over a 100.00 a month. hmmmmmm damn tempeing but I doubt highly I'll do it. That Suzuki money is calling me :)
03 220R
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Yeah, that's a lotta jack, but is this a situation of "getting what you pay for"? Based on the feedback I've received, that seems to be the case.

At the risk of sounding like a "traitor", I'm pretty much convinced that my only upgrade decision is whether it will be the 250X or the 450X. Since my pear-shaped figure grows all the time, maybe the 450X will be required.

Honda has a deal right now, "Red Hot Summer" or something like that...I think you could finance that bike for 6 years. $6399 at 6.9% over 6 years is $108.79/mth...not too bad. If I wasn't about to start building a house I would have already done it.

Forget Kelly Blue Book, they are much higher than "real world". Go to NADA.com and click the 'consumer' link, then dig deeper to find out how much your bike is really worth.

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

thanks for the tip wanaride I'll do that. NADA says it worth between $2100 and $2800. Sounds about right. Hell I just bought it for $2200

I just got my reply from Honda Finance I'm pre-approved for 10K from any Honda Dealer. I printed up the certificate just in case I decide to do something stupid and finance a new bike. LOL

hmmmmmm $6399.00 less $2000.00 for trade in. Thems sum cheap payments right thur. LOL :?
03 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Even if I did swing that way.... I would never get rid of the KDX. Too much fun in her to let her go!

So, at the top of the list is the Honda CRF250X and or CRF450X?

What mods does it need to be on the scale with then KDX?
Replace the valves with SS?
Anything else?

A shop on ebay has a new 05 CRF450X out the door no tax for $5975.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 72085&rd=1

I think your right nothing else touches it.... the Aluminum frame puts it in a class by itself.

Kawasaki has the aluminum frame on theirs too but the trans isn't wide. Kinda screws that!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

FLAKDX wrote:I just got my reply from Honda Finance I'm pre-approved for 10K from any Honda Dealer. I printed up the certificate just in case I decide to do something stupid and finance a new bike. LOL

hmmmmmm $6399.00 less $2000.00 for trade in. Thems sum cheap payments right thur. LOL :?
Don't rub it in! Maybe that's why they don't give me credit.... I'd actually use it! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The 2004 KX250F had a lighting coil, but no lights. Does the 2005 KX250F have the lighting coil also? One dumb thing I heard was that the oil filter cover and water pump cover were not separate pieces, so one has to drain the coolant when changing the oil. :sad:

How is the Yamaha WR250F? Has anyone heard anything on that?

Do they market those 4 stroke racing bikes as "free bike when purchased with 3 year supply of valves, piston, rings, etc."? :grin:

FLAKDX, on the Honda, you know the manual says to replace the rings every 25 hours of putt-putt riding and every 15 hours of hard riding, with piston every other time, correct?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My 85 XL350 had never had anything done to the top end other than valve adjustment when I sold it in 02! I know it had over 10,000 miles on it...alot of hard miles at that!

There has got to be a way to make it more service friendly. Like SS valves for one and maybe have the cylinder coated etc.... That's just not right!~
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

They are high performance, not high longevity. Even at $6,000, you can't have it both ways. If it is high revving, it is usually high dollar. That is one of the reasons that 80/85cc and 125cc two stroke engines are needing frequent top end work and the KDX does not. A KDX just doesn't rev real high, like a MX bike.

My wallet says, " :prayer: "

I remember some nice photos of the Dirt Bike magazine crew doing some ledge jumps on an '85 Honda XR350. It looked cool! They used it in their subscription ads, so I probably still have it in an old issue if you want to see it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What's the avatar Jason? sticker/shock? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****