Top 10 Best woods bikes?

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Top 10 Best woods bikes?

Post by Indawoods »

Which bikes do you guys think are next to the KDX based on the characteristics of what we love about the KDX?

1. Dependability.
2. Longevity.
3. Agility.
4. Fuel capacity.

Doesn't matter if it's 2 or 4 stroke. I know some of you are going to say KTM but for arguments sake...let's leave out the KTM's... we all know about them! :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

I'd say the xr 250's and 400's have been solid woods bikes over the years
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Solid...Yes... Agile? Mmmm a little bulky don't ya think? Not bad but just a little.

But definately fit the bill everywhere else! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What about the Yamaha Wr's? The 4 strokers.... They don't start so easy I hear... So, that's another point I guess...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

How 'bout my ol' '69

But then there's my '71 Minitrail..
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

My brothers KLX400 (green DRZ400) was a pig, but it was reliable and had plenty of power. It was a great bike, just very overweight (292 lbs fueled and ready to run).

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'd be interested in hearing about the KLX 300.
I know it only weighs about 3 more pound than the KDX. I also hear the carb sucks but can be fixed.
I have no idea how it delivers power though and if it has much or not. They are intresting bikes though....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Gas Gas

TM

2006 KX250

Husaburg
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

2007 KDX 450 :mrgreen:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Honda XR 250 - 400s

Yamaha WR200-250s: The two-stroke era of WR for you youngings

Yamaha IT 175-250-400 In their day were good
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

WR 200's are very rare... but would love to ride one. Unique design also... different that the 250's.

TM's and all the other exotic bikes are pretty much out of the question due to price. GAS GAS for sure... would love to ride one...supposed to be better than the KTM 200.

2006 KX250? Fuel capacity! Could go aftermarket I guess. Ergo's? maybe not the best for woods but better than past KX's.

Suzuki RMX 250? Like the KDX 250's I think.... another one I would love to ride. :razz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

A freind of mine rides an IT 465. I'm not sure of the year, but early '80s. That thing is bone stock, and never gives him a lick of trouble. It's air cooled, so he doesn't worry about breaking a radiator. The suspension is a little dated, but for the tight twisty trails we ride, it's not going to get smoked by any of the modern bikes. That big motor makes buckets of power. He's bought his kid two brand new MXers over the years, and just can't see anything that drives him to buy a new bike. He paid $400 for the thing, so I think he wins the bang for the buck competition. My riding gear cost more than that :lol: . It is hard to find parts for though, but on the other hand, it doesn't really break either.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I have'nt seen the the new Honda CRF- X's on here yet. :eek: The guy I like to really ride fast with has the CRF 250x and theCRF 450x bikes. The 250 he really likes in the woods. Seems like a pretty realiable bike too. I've never seen it give him any trouble yet. The 450 is a good bike also but he told me it does'nt benefit in the tight trail to much. It's alittle heavier and taller than the 250 and is'nt quite as agile. The 450 he likes to ride when he goes to Colorado where it's alittle more wide open and longer hills to climb.

I really have'nt been around to many other bikes other than the KDX and the new Hond CRF-X bikes. His brother has a KTM 525, but hey thats a KTM... Woooooo. :neutral: I've rode a couple 525's and really my KDX is just more comfortable on the trails to me. They all of coarse are 4 strokes, but I really never got to really test them out. I just don't like the idea of rebuilding a 4 stroke every year, and the cost of it also. 2 strokes are so much easier and inexpensive and quicker to rebuild.

The Xr's are'nt a bad bike but I've only rode with the kids bikes. My daughter has a little Yamaha TTR 125L thats a pretty dependable bike. If I were to suggest a bike for a young kid to start out on that would be the one. Very forgiving and reliable. Good "chugging" power up hills also.

There Are only two bikes I would consider going to after this KDX is gone. The first choice would be a KX 250 Modified. The next would be the Honda CRF 450 X. I'll stick the KDX for as long as I can. I think I can give some of these guys a run come racetime. I think the KDX is up to it and so am I. I'm like you guys, I'm tierd of hearing about KTM, KTM, KTM.

Jon.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Colorado Mike - I owned a number of the IT 400s a 78 and a 80. Both were similar to the 465 which came out in 82. (In 81 Yamaha replaced the 400 with a 425, the 425 was replaced with the 465 I think they made it for 3 or 4 years before the 495 but I could certainly be wrong on this) As your friend has experienced the ITs were a very solid trail/enduro machine in their day. I still see the one I sold in 1990 every once in a while.

P.S. If you really want a air cooled bike that will scream: in 92 and 93 (maybe even later) YAMAHA put a 500 cc air cooled engine in a 250 frame. These would eat CR 500s Hondas in most straight out races but I believe the WR 500s were limited production runs. They were superior to the CR 500s in my opinion, but not as reliable. An absolute adreline rush!!! Some are still being used for hill climbing competition.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
cmot

Post by cmot »

Welll if you want to stretch things abit I found my first love was the 70's Suzuk TS
185 and 250's. I may be wrong but as far as I ever knew they were the first cdi bikes without points and condensers. What a godsend they were.
I really liked my 80's PE 250 also. And I rode with a couple of IT's.
Jeeze am I that old? :shock:
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...
mattR

Post by mattR »

Not very common, but what about the Husky WR250 and Suzook RMX250 when they were still around (2002)?
97 KDX 220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The last year for the RMX250 was 1998. :sad:

I think the last Yamaha IT was the 1986 IT200. Dirt Bike or Dirt Rider reported that they had so many sitting in the warehouses unsold that they didn't even make any for 1987. :sad: It was the direct competition to comapre a KDX200 to through its production run.

I don't know if you are looking for modern bikes or what, so I threw that info in.

I would think some form of Yamaha IT, Honda XR, KLX, perhaps DR-Z400 from Suzuki, 2 and 4 stroke WR's and TT-R250. Stretching it would be some Suzuki DR's (not the street and trail ones - maybe they were DS I am thinking of), the Yamaha TT-R225/230, Honda CRF150/230 and older Yamaha XT
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

OK...here's the criteria...

1. Solid as a rock
2. Light and agile
3. Modern (post '90's)
4. Readily available (Jap) No exotics
5. Reasonably priced

I know that's a KDX...but I want to see what is close to it.

We will make it a:

1. 4 stroke category
2. 2 stroke category

Example:

1. 4 stroke:
Honda XR400
Honda CRF230 Stroker

2. 2 Stroke
Yamaha WR 200
Suzuki RMX250
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yamaha TT-R250

Yamaha WR's of various sorts

Suzuki RMX250

used KTM

used converted Japanese MX 250cc
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128