E vs H series differences

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

E vs H series differences

Post by 2001kdx »

I'm looking at buying a cheap bike to run harescrambles with and am looking at getting an E series KDX, as I only have maybe $800 to spend on a 2nd bike. I have a dual sport DR350 right now, but in the woods it is heavy and it is a slow-going thumper that is a bit allergic to a harescramble pace. I had a 2001 200 H series a couple years ago and sold it. I put a pipe on it to wake it up, and put .40 XR400 fork springs to balance the bike since I weigh about 200.
The bike was awesome, but I'm wondering, the E series is liquid cooled and has both disks, and what seems like similar suspension stock, but what does it give up to the '95-06 KDX bikes? I used to be on here all the time, but couldn't seem to dig up a thread that had alot of info of the differences.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

welcome back. some say the e has more grunt than the h, can't confirm or deny since i never rode one. for 8oo u can't go wrong assuming it's in good shape.
What happened to your RM 250?
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I sold the RM250 because I had a lapse in health insurance, and bought a dual sport bike to take it easy for awhile. I now have health coverage again and can resume ringing a 2-strokes neck, but I've decided to keep the old thumper, thus my low budget for the KDX. The RM250 was great, but for the tight woods, it was no better, even after suspension and motor mods, than the KDX was.
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

I don't know how far into NY you are, but on pennswoods classifieds there is a 1993 KDX200 for $550. It is located in Couldersport, PA which is up in north/central PA. I was going to buy it for my nephew but the guy who says he is buying our 1997 CR80 Expert is dragging his feet now.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Chassis wise, the E has a backbone-style frame and the H has a perimeter-style frame. I would think the H has an advantage with regards to chassis stiffness, and it probably weighs a bit less, too. The 92 and 93 E series came with USD forks, but they weren't adjustable or very large diameter. The only real advantage they hold is the lack of fork tube below the axle--i.e., they won't snag rocks and ruts as easily as the conventionals.

Engine wise, the H has a redesigned KIPS assembly which is much longer lasting than the E. The E tends to munch subvalves with some regularity. Good incentive to pull the top end every year to inspect and change the valves, but maybe not the incentive you want. The E also has a smaller diameter clutch assembly. I havn't ever ridden an H, but I would hope it has a nicer clutch than the E, which is stiff, it drags, and is very sensitive to adjustment. I think the transmission and bottom end of the H is the same as the E with the exception of the clutch covers and maybe the position of the powervalve governor. Of course, the cylinder and head are different, too. As was mentioned, the E is said to have a bit more low-end power.

The H bikes seem to have more aftermarket support, and some of the OEM parts for the E bikes are getting hard to find.

Either way, you can have a pretty good bike for cheap. If you have any long-term intentions of making a hybrid bike, you should get the H--it makes pipe fitment a lot easier. Happy hunting!
David Eckel
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
dfeckel wrote:. The 92 and 93 E series came with USD forks!
Actually that was the 93 - 94's
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

I would have to say the greatest plus of the e series is comfort.The E series is like a lazy boy recliner compared to the newer bikes.While it is a trade off of comfort vs a slimmer more nimble chassis.I prefer the comfort if I'm going on a real trail ride(all day in the saddle) vs just playing around near the truck.

I hate to say it at only 31 but my body just cant stand the abuse it used to take.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
BobbyZ wrote: I hate to say it at only 31 but my body just cant stand the abuse it used to take.
+1 :sad:
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

My bad on the USD years--sorry.

Jeeze, and for a minute it sounded as if I actually knew what I was talking about... :)
David Eckel
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I can't say any thing bad about the E's due to never owning one, but the limited parts availability would scare me. It sounds like the E is getting forgotten about as far as replacement parts goes. (Sorry if I offended any E guys just going by the different post on here.)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

seems to be the trend
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:seems to be the trend
The H's are even getting harder to find some stuff for. :mad:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I haven't found anything yet that I couldn't get? Over the past 3 or 4 years I've replaced darn near everything on the bike, some things more than once, lol.

I will admit that eventually it's gonna get harder, but even then I think it will be not too bad. There are still a TON of these things in the woods, and people love them.

Everything everyone has said here seems spot on. The E series engine does seem to pull harder off the bottom. Comfort level is greater on the E. The H feels a bit lighter and more nimble. Power valves are more reliable on the H. I don't consider parts availability a problem, YET. And hopefully not for many years. Even when the NOS stuff dries up, there will still be fleabay.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:I haven't found anything yet that I couldn't get? Over the past 3 or 4 years I've replaced darn near everything on the bike, some things more than once, lol.
All of the OEM parts are still available as far as I know with the more common wear parts also available by the after market. But what I was getting at was that new cool shiny thing that they make for every bike BUT the KDX. That part kinda sucks.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:I haven't found anything yet that I couldn't get? Over the past 3 or 4 years I've replaced darn near everything on the bike, some things more than once, lol.

I will admit that eventually it's gonna get harder, but even then I think it will be not too bad. There are still a TON of these things in the woods, and people love them.

Everything everyone has said here seems spot on. The E series engine does seem to pull harder off the bottom. Comfort level is greater on the E. The H feels a bit lighter and more nimble. Power valves are more reliable on the H. I don't consider parts availability a problem, YET. And hopefully not for many years. Even when the NOS stuff dries up, there will still be fleabay.
Well good luck in the next 3 - 4 years :wink:

It seems Ron Ayers will even show that they have certain parts until you try to actually order them
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Service Honda already lists quite a few E series parts as discontinued now.

water pump shaft
clutch basket
KIPS main valve and shaft
front rotor/caliper (early E)
transmission pawl
CDI
flywheel
kick start boss
all "graphics"
almost every rubber piece in the stock silencer
radiators
shrouds
rear caliper
front and rear master cylinders and hoses
side panels
chain guide/rub
transmission input/output shafts and some gears
Plus many more parts that are less prone to needing replacement.

Yeah, I'm sure that list is going to be quite a bit larger in a year. :cry:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

Deals come around once in a while. I paid $1000 for my 2000 KDX 200. You can probably find a bike in good condition that will fit into your budget.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I may have found one.... 2003 KDX200 with new tires, chain and sprocket skid plate and barkbusters listed for 900 :shock:

I emailed the seller and its still available, I'm going to try to set something up and if it checks out I will grab it.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

jump on it, around here, a stock beat up turd cost more than 1200 bux...
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Good luck, hope that bike works out. I got my 2003 for $1000 last fall and I love it.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200