Do I Need to Replate?

Got questions? We got answers....
kkim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Do I Need to Replate?

Post by kkim »

Hi Guys,

Pulled the top end to check the 2000 220 I just purchased a few weeks ago.

Glad I did. It looked like the top end had never been touched from the looks of the fasteners I had to remove to do the job. I believe it as a stock piston with a "C" marking and the cylinder had a corresponding "C" designation, too.

I'll will be installing a Wiseco piston, but when looking at the cylinder after cleaning it up, it seems to me like the plating is worn through towards the bottom of the cylinder. The picture shows the cylinder after it had been cleaned with some gas and a toothbrush. Can I get some help from someone on the forum to confirm that the plating is worn?

If it is, can anyone recommend a company that does good work. I've searched the forum and have found a few places that have been mentioned, however, any first hand experiences would be greatly appreciated.

more pictures can be found in my photo album...
https://picasaweb.google.com/kkim993/KdxCylinder#

thanks for any feedback and recommendations you have.
Kelly

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

From one Kelly to another, yes, that cylinder needs a re-plate!

Kelly :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yes, looks to need a re-plate. I'm fond of langcourt myself. millennium technologies and powerseal have a good rep too.

You will want to get a piston kit to send with it, or buy your piston kit from the company doing the plating. This way they can hone it to perfect tolerance. On the bright side, you end up with a better than stock top end :).
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

Re-plate it.

I use http://www.mt-llc.com/.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
kkim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kkim »

Thanks for confirming my suspicions... that's what I was thinking, but needed to be sure as it's been years since I've last worked with a plated cylinder.

The bike is also sucking oil in from the right crank seal, so the bottom end will be separated and new seals and crank bearing installed by a local shop here (yes I trust him with doing this correctly). While he's in there, I've asked him to evaluate the big end bearing as well to determine if it needs to be sent out for a crank rebuild as well. So, while that work is being done, I'll send the cylinder off to have it replated.

As you can see, the engine condition is poor, but I'm happy to know that once it's done, it will be as good as new or better than when it started life.

I'm very tempted to have the RB carb and head mods done, but have had the bike for only a few weeks and haven't even had it out for a trail ride as of yet, so I thought I'd learn what the bike is like first before modding it.

It came with a Pro Circuit platinum pipe (the original platinum series, not P2) and it seems to have a wicked hit for a kdx that I want to tame. It also has a PC silencer that is waaay to loud for the trails and will be sourcing a stock kdx boat anchor to replace it.

As you can see, I'm excited to add the new 220 to the mix of bikes I already own and look forward to the day after the rebuild that I'll be able to use it for reliable, fun days in the trails. This is the 3rd KDX I've owned and know how great they are as trail bikes. Last one was an 87' which was sold back in the early 90s.

What makes owning this bike even more exciting is the addition of an internet forum such as KDXRider.net that is willing to share knowledge to the new kids on the block. Thanks to each of you for your help... it's really appreciated by this 58 y/o (soon to be 59 :mrgreen: ) get back into a familiar saddle.

I look forward to being able to give back to this great community in the future.

Aloha and mahalo from Kauai,
Kelly
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Good to see you fixing her up right Kelly. I went through the same with my KDX. FWIW, it ran great even all dogged and abused. With everything fresh it's simply incredible, and the most reliable bike I've ever owned. Well worth every penny and every hour that was spent working on it.
kkim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kkim »

Thanks, Julien.

I learned long ago that reliability is directly related to proper maintenance and setup, so after all the work is done to fix the existing problems, I know the bike will become permanent fixture in the garage. It appears poor air filter maintenance was the cause of all the wear as the rest of the bike looks to be in much better shape than the cylinder.

With parts and aftermarket support so readily available, I'm having a blast rebuilding the bike, learning a lot and gaining much experience in the process. The wife isn't too happy, though, that her car needs to be parked outside the garage during the rebuild, but.... :razz:

it also helps loads that enthusiasts like yourself and others on this board share their knowledge so openly with newbs like myself.