kips stuck?

Got questions? We got answers....
tydev95

kips stuck?

Post by tydev95 »

so i finally put in a new top end on my bike today, and aside from breaking the bolt on the left radiator, it went well. then i checked the KIPS rod, and it wouldn't move at all. i just replaced the left subvalve, and all 3 collars. the rod moved smoothly when the cylinder wasn't on the bike, but now it wont move. :mad: do any of you have an idea what's wrong?
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

:blink:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Something must not be timed correctly. Although that doesn't add up with it moving off the bike and not moving on the bike. Actually, that part doesn't add up at all......

I see nothing to do but pull it back off and look for the problem.
tydev95

Post by tydev95 »

2 things that i think it might be is either the silicone from the exhaust pipe, or maybe the loc-tite on the cylinder head bolts dripped down into them?
tydev95

Post by tydev95 »

so i took off the head, and now they move. it seems like whenever i thighten down the cylinder head, they get stuck. any ideas?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

odd. could there be something in the lower journals keeping the subvalves from seating all the way down?

You have to yank everything back out to check though. Bummer....
tydev95

Post by tydev95 »

can i keep the cylinder on?
tydev95

Post by tydev95 »

and also, i remember that the journal in the bottom of where the left subvalve is was kind of flared out because the last subvalve was broken. could that be it?
tydev95

Post by tydev95 »

today, i looked at it again and it looked like the left collar was a little above the cylinder top, and when the head was tightened down it pushed on the collar, making the valve not move. so i filed down about 1mm from the collar, and now it moves really good and smooth with the head torqued down. i'm so glad that it wasn't something worse, and i didn't even have to pull the cylinder again :grin:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, except for SOMETHING is under that gear holding it up and causing that one collar to be higher than the cylinder deck. That means there is probably some loose piece of junk under that gear. If you're lucky, it will stay there, or find it's way out the exhaust pipe. If you are unlucky, it may find it's way into the cylinder and cost you a bunch of money.

It's 4 bolts to take the cylinder off. Should have done it. Of course, now you have altered the collar and it will need replaced again as well.
tydev95

Post by tydev95 »

there wasn't anything under it, since the last subvalve got snapped it enlarged the hole and flared it out a little bit. i cleaned it out, so there isn't anything in there, it's just that the hole on the bottom is warped so it sticks up a little bit.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Flared where? I don't understand how the hole could be flared and make the valve stick up higher. Lower maybe, but not higher. The very bottom of that subvalve sits in the bottom of the journal. No amount of flare will raise that bottom up.

If you did not take it out and check, how can you be sure nothing is under there??! There's no way to get the subvalve out without pulling the jug off, so it would seem you did not check it.

Anyway, done is done. Good luck with it. I do hope it holds up for ya.
tydev95

Post by tydev95 »

yeah, something could have slipped in there while i was assembling it. but anyway, thanks a lot for helping me out with most of my questions, i probably would've had to take the bike to a shop if i hadn't found out about kdxrider.net and thumpertalk :supz:
Last edited by tydev95 on 10:09 pm Feb 14 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If something I said helped, I'm glad :partyman:

I'm still guessing that valve doesn't last very long. I mean, if something is misaligned to the point where you have to grind off the collar so it fits under the head.... When you need help with it again, give a shout. I've been into them kips valves way to many times. At least that H bike is supposed to be a lot easier on valves. It sure seems to be.
tydev95

Post by tydev95 »

H bike? mine's a 93
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Oops. Well, here's wishin you even better luck then, lol. You can look at it wrong and it'll break the LH subvalve.
tydev95

Post by tydev95 »