Oops... hurt my stator...

Got questions? We got answers....
moto_psycho

Oops... hurt my stator...

Post by moto_psycho »

Eurgh, managed to scratch the hell out of my coils.

So, going to have to re-wind them... yipee!! Anyone done it before? Is there a step by step guide anywhere atall? Can you tell me what coils feed what on the bike also please?

Many thanks!

Image :oops:
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

The two lighting coils can easily be rewound, I used 17GA coated magnet wire for mine, (see rebuild thread) but the ignition coil uses a MUCH smaller wire, it's almost like horsehair thin....
'00 KDX 220R
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

gone all the way through your thread now, did you use a guide or anything to rewire it or just jump in head first?
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

im guessing 17GA is gauge? what would the effects of using thicker or thinner wire be?

also any idea on the actual gauge of the ignition coil?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I just wound it in the same direction as stock. Thicker wire means more output, but also fewer wraps that can be fit on the coil. It's a delicate balance between having the thickest wire you can have without sacraficing too many wraps. 17GA worked out best, I'd start with that if i were you. I can't recall the difference off the top of my head, but thinner wire, more wraps makes for higher volts, but lower watts, and vice versa. I figure my lighting coil is good for about 80-100W.

17GA is gauge, correct. be sure to use caoted magnet wire, one spool just barely did my stator. The ignition coil I don't know what gauge, but its very small. Crack that epoxy and see.

Also, since you have two coils in series, one might be wrappedi nthe opposite direction of the other, be sure to pay attention to that. Here is the best pic I could find of my one:

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Forgot to mention, keep the wraps as tight and even as possible for best results.
'00 KDX 220R
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

http://www.maplin.co.uk/enamelled-coppe ... doy=search this is pretty much the only place i can find selling it!

i've managed to read on another forum basically the finest you can wrap by hand is 34GA for the ignition coil. god that is gonna take ages :sad:

ill keep the winding direction in mind thanks!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|QBB<[/url]
Slick_Nick wrote:Image
Nice wrap job there Nick! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Thanks man! Took a bit of patience, but worthwhile. BIG increase in light output now.

Also, to the OP, sounds self explanitory, but notice on the ends how I scraped the coating off before soldering. Don't forget that step lol
'00 KDX 220R
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

5 hours of winding later, the bike works :roll: no pictures cause its ugly as sin :) but yeahhh! £10 and the bike is firing stronger than ever!!!
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

and then the $#@&ing woodruff key holding the rotor on sheared... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*****************************************************
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

That sucks my man! Any more damage? Depending on how much the flywheel spun on the crank, the crank and flywheel might both need to be replaced.
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Freakin' bummer. Sorry to hear that man.
'11 GasGas EC250R
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

thankfully no real damage to flywheel + crank, woodruff key on order, bloody bike.
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

bike runs again, yes to test ride it though, dinner 1st :roll:
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

test ride complete... :twisted:

EVERYBODY ADVANCE YOUR IGNITIONS NOW!!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
moto_psycho wrote:test ride complete... :twisted:

EVERYBODY ADVANCE YOUR IGNITIONS NOW!!
lol, no. Congrats on the successful test ride!
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

seriously advancing the ignition made it amazing, no pinking or anything like that just heaploads more power!!!

[img::]http://s1.postimage.org/4kgjt2937/DSC00664.jpg[/img]
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Define "heaploads more power", please.

There is no power to be gained from adjusting the timing, although you can move the power around a bit, or loose overall power by going too far in either direction.

Advancing the timing will give you a bit more power in the low end and a stronger mid-range hit, but cause it to fall flat much sooner. Too much advance also leads to breaking up on the top end, pinging, and detonation.

Retarding the timing will smooth out the power in the mid-range and provide more over rev at the expense of some low end pull.

For the KDX, I find the stock timing mark to be pretty good. I would slightly retard timing, if anything, to gain a bit more top end and even smoother mid-range. If you want more "hit" from it, advancing will help with that. Doesn't seem to fall in with what the KDX is generally used for though. It all comes down to personal preference... :wink:

J.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:Define "heaploads more power", please.

There is no power to be gained from adjusting the timing, although you can move the power around a bit, or loose overall power by going too far in either direction.

Advancing the timing will give you a bit more power in the low end and a stronger mid-range hit, but cause it to fall flat much sooner. Too much advance also leads to breaking up on the top end, pinging, and detonation.

Retarding the timing will smooth out the power in the mid-range and provide more over rev at the expense of some low end pull.

For the KDX, I find the stock timing mark to be pretty good. I would slightly retard timing, if anything, to gain a bit more top end and even smoother mid-range. If you want more "hit" from it, advancing will help with that. Doesn't seem to fall in with what the KDX is generally used for though. It all comes down to personal preference... :wink:

J.
The pretty much sums up my feelings on it as well. :supz:
'11 GasGas EC250R