Timing advance / retard

Got questions? We got answers....
moto_psycho

Timing advance / retard

Post by moto_psycho »

Anyone done it? How did you find it? What is your preferred setting?
gregp

Post by gregp »

Yes, I messed around with mine at the end of last year. I like mine set at the "full advanced" position.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I advanced mine, but with the RB mods, It will ping at lower RPM's. Be careful, too much timing can destroy your engine.

Retarding the timing gave me a bit more top end over rev, advancing it will give you better bottom end. Look here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showth ... highlight=
'00 KDX 220R
gregp

Post by gregp »

JOM - but you can read all you want to... fully advancing the timing gave me a very lively power delivery from bottom to top. In theory, retarding it may give you just a hair more over-rev, but on these bikes, that amounts to *nothing*. I tried adjusting the timing from fully retarded, to "standard", to fully advanced, and I know what I felt, and what I liked. Again **this is only my opinion**.
Adjusting the timing is extremely easy to do on our bikes if you have the correct flywheel puller, and I encourage you to try it for yourself. I would be surprised if anybody here actually likes the power delivery in the fully retarded position.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)