Dyna-Ring uh-oh!? UPDATED: Success!!!

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Dodger wrote:Did you test the "sorted" clutch out under "trail" conditions for a few hours, or just tested it around the block?
Yes, I did. Put right at 45 miles (72km) on it today and it worked perfectly. I have to say that I love this thing! :supz:

Things I noticed... It will pull good even if you are a gear high but performed freakin' awesome when in the proper gear. Acceleration in the soft stuff and sand was much improved. Actually, acceleration was improved everywhere. Bringing up the front end was easier IMO. I had to change how I rode corners as the rear doesn't spin as much as normal. It just tends to hook up and you rocket out. It made getting on the pipe easier, and with the traction in the corners, you can fly! I could not stall the bike no matter what I tried. It helped with my endurance. I didn't feel nearly as tired after riding a hard trail compared to a regular clutch. Honestly, this thing just rocked everywhere!

OK, for the possible negatives. Really, there weren't any negatives but these are my thoughts on what might be needed due to using the Dyna. I think changing the oil more frequently will be required. Probably will go through friction plates quicker but that remains to be seen. Also, the durability of the Dyna is really still an unknown. It appears very well built so I guess we shall see!

In conclusion, I am so happy I bought one of these! It has instantly made me a better rider. I can charge harder and longer than I ever have before. It covers up the little mistakes and helps keep you moving forward. Now, actually having ridden with one, I can't ever imagine riding without it!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:>|<>QBB<
Dodger wrote:Did you test the "sorted" clutch out under "trail" conditions for a few hours, or just tested it around the block?
Yes, I did. Put right at 45 miles (72km) on it today and it worked perfectly. I have to say that I love this thing! :supz:

Things I noticed... It will pull good even if you are a gear high but performed freakin' awesome when in the proper gear. Acceleration in the soft stuff and sand was much improved. Actually, acceleration was improved everywhere. Bringing up the front end was easier IMO. I had to change how I rode corners as the rear doesn't spin as much as normal. It just tends to hook up and you rocket out. It made getting on the pipe easier, and with the traction in the corners, you can fly! I could not stall the bike no matter what I tried. It helped with my endurance. I didn't feel nearly as tired after riding a hard trail compared to a regular clutch. Honestly, this thing just rocked everywhere!

OK, for the possible negatives. Really, there weren't any negatives but these are my thoughts on what might be needed due to using the Dyna. I think changing the oil more frequently will be required. Probably will go through friction plates quicker but that remains to be seen. Also, the durability of the Dyna is really still an unknown. It appears very well built so I guess we shall see!

In conclusion, I am so happy I bought one of these! It has instantly made me a better rider. I can charge harder and longer than I ever have before. It covers up the little mistakes and helps keep you moving forward. Now, actually having ridden with one, I can't ever imagine riding without it!
Thanks for the feedback - it does sound like it's finally "sorted".

Now where's my credit card? :grin:

Cheers
I may be old, I may be slow, but hey I'm still getting my leg over - a dirt bike!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:
OK, for the possible negatives. Really, there weren't any negatives but these are my thoughts on what might be needed due to using the Dyna. I think changing the oil more frequently will be required.
Yep, my ATF was black after 2 rides.

Before the Ring, I didn't use the clutch very much. Really just relied on being in the right gear and using the great power of the KDX motor to get me around.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Tedh98 wrote:>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:
OK, for the possible negatives. Really, there weren't any negatives but these are my thoughts on what might be needed due to using the Dyna. I think changing the oil more frequently will be required.
Yep, my ATF was black after 2 rides.

Before the Ring, I didn't use the clutch very much. Really just relied on being in the right gear and using the great power of the KDX motor to get me around.
Yeah, noticed that it is already getting dark. I'm figuring every 1 or 2 rides should be good depending on mileage/temp, and terrain.
'11 GasGas EC250R
makeshoes
Supporting Member

Post by makeshoes »

Instructions from RevLoc do say change oil every 8 hrs. I guess mileage may vary?! I got mine installed this weekend on a "H" model '02. Only ridden in my yard but like what its doing so far. Can't wait to get in the woods with it! :supz:
'02 KDX200 Plated
'02 VL800
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I don't think I will get 8 hours before needing to change it! Maybe it has to do with how I ride? I don't ever really take it easy. I'm always revving the snot of my bike and going as fast as I can! :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Another Dynaring install success! I had a little spare time before work this morning, and I was able to install the 'ring with my oem fibers and the correct, 96mm machined steel plates. Install was a breeze. A little playing with the cable tension to get the right amount of release at idle, and I was in business. I stayed with the supplied three springs, but I may try two to get it to lock up at a lower rpm. With three, it slips a bit more at low rpm than I might like. After all, I did the RB carb and head mods to get killer off-idle power--I don't want the clutch slipping through the best part of the power band. :) The best part, though, is it's never going stall again when I stomp on the brakes. YES! Also, finding neutral with the motor running is a breeze. The 'ring plus a pull on the clutch lever TOTALLY disengages the clutch, so no need to find neutral while rolling to a stop. :)

I won't have the chance to really give it the spurs for a couple of weeks, but the around-the-yard loop seems to indicate that it's going to work great. Time to pony up, Wibby!
David Eckel
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
dfeckel wrote: Time to pony up, Wibby!

Just need a job or maybe sell a kidney :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

>QBB<
Dodger wrote:
Thanks for the feedback - it does sound like it's finally "sorted".

Now where's my credit card? :grin:

Cheers
I've just sent my payment to Alan at Revloc - can't wait for the Fedex van to arrive! :supz:

Cheers
I may be old, I may be slow, but hey I'm still getting my leg over - a dirt bike!
makeshoes
Supporting Member

Post by makeshoes »

"Also, finding neutral with the motor running is a breeze"

Hmmm. I'm not able to find neutral very easy with bike running and clutch pulled in. Maybe I'm not adjusted correctly? My bike with the Dyna Ring is doing everything that it is supposed to do though.

Anybody remove or add a shim under their clutch pusher? My bike came stock with one and I just left it on there when I installed the DynaRing. The reason I ask is that once I put on the clutch cover, I feel resistance within about 5 -10 degrees of rotation.

I currently have my clutch lever angle set the same as I did when I had my stock clutch in my bike as per the service manual (just coincidently worked out this way).
Anybody want to share their clutch lever angles with the Dyna Ring? (would E's and H's be the same??) Thanks.
'02 KDX200 Plated
'02 VL800
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

On my E, I reinstalled the single washer/shim under the clutch pushrod, and used six new OEM friction plates. I didn't measure the angle of the arm. What's the reference point for measuring the the clutch arm angle?
David Eckel
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I'm not sure on the E's but on the H's it is referring to the angle of the clutch arm to the clutch cable. About 90 deg give or take.
makeshoes
Supporting Member

Post by makeshoes »

deleted
Last edited by makeshoes on 09:53 pm Mar 10 2011, edited 1 time in total.
'02 KDX200 Plated
'02 VL800
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Probably should start your own thread since the OP has an E
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I'm going to set-up a different thread for H series engines. At the time I wrote it off to coincidence that I was having more trouble finding neutral after installing the Ring.

But now that someone else is having the same problem, there might be something else going on.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
Tedh98 wrote:I'm going to set-up a different thread for H series engines. At the time I wrote it off to coincidence that I was having more trouble finding neutral after installing the Ring.

But now that someone else is having the same problem, there might be something else going on.

I think that's going to be a normal condition, similar to finding neutral
with the original clutch pulled and the engine off.
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

Finding neutral is a bit more difficult with the auto clutches. I think that's just the nature of the beast. We have two CR250s with Rekluse clutches and a KDX200 with a Dyna Ring. We've noticed that finding neutral is a little more difficult no matter which bike we're on.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Ok, cool - glad to hear this is just how it is.

With the regular clutch I would sometimes find neutral at the wrong time. I'm not having that 'problem' now.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I have noticed finding neutral is harder since the swap. Not bad but definitely noticeable.
'11 GasGas EC250R
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Starter up with the throttle half pinned
That will tell ya if it's in gear :lol: