Dyna-Ring uh-oh!? UPDATED: Success!!!

Got questions? We got answers....
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

When I installed mine I missed one of the judder springs and as a result I had to adjust the cable way out. When I realized it I removed th judder spring and started from scratch adjusting the cable all the way back to what it was before the install. after this I did not have to adjust far at all.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'm just glad you all are getting all the bugs out of these things so maybe when I order mine it'll all be worked out :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
frankenschwinn wrote:When I installed mine I missed one of the judder springs and as a result I had to adjust the cable way out. When I realized it I removed th judder spring and started from scratch adjusting the cable all the way back to what it was before the install. after this I did not have to adjust far at all.
Both judder springs were removed. I have them right here along with the stock steels and two friction discs just like the instructions say.

I have decided I'm done trying to get this solved quickly. I'm just going to start my rebuild and get the Dyna sorted out sometime.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I'm just glad you all are getting all the bugs out of these things so maybe when I order mine it'll all be worked out :wink:
Your welcome...I think? :neutral:

:butthead: :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I spoke to Alan today, and he is now aware of the fiber plate issue. He says he will be machining the steel plates with a larger load surface so the ridge doesn't contact the fiber friction material. I got the oem Plates, and they still had interference with the ridge on the steel plates. Alan isn't sure why the frictions he had on his clutch are different than others that are out there, but he is going to machine the steel plates further in subsequent kits, so they should work with all the oem and aftermarket plates.
David Eckel
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I asked him to verify which plate number he used to make the steels. If he used the outer friction plate then it fits fine. If you use the inner friction plates it interferes. I bet they just pulled the outer and went by that without knowing the E series used two different sized/types friction discs.

Anyways, on what Alan said, what does that mean for us? Is he going to send us new steels since we can't fit anything other than outer friction discs? I don't think running a full set of them will hold up that well.
'11 GasGas EC250R
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Alan said he would send me the actual fiber plates he used in developing the kit, since he knows they'll work with my steels. Once I see these fibers, then hopefully I can figure out exactly what they are and where they came from so other early adopters can get the right ones. I didn't ask specifically, but I bet that if you call, Alan would send you a set of correctly machined steels.

Another option that is less palatable is to trim a millimeter or so from each fiber rectangle on the side of the friction plate that faces the ridge. It might also require grinding a little of the aluminum under where the fiber was to get adequate clearance. It should work, but it would be a major pain. There's 36 fiber blocks on each of six plates to trim, plus grinding some aluminum.

That said, I don't think it's too much to ask of Alan for him to supply the right steel plates for the early adopters. Give him a call.
David Eckel
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

He should be supplying the fibers anyway, either that or sell it cheaper than the H series
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Just fired off an email to him asking when the new steel plates will be available. Good thing I didn't order new frictions based on him saying that is what it was designed for.
'11 GasGas EC250R
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Just got a package from Revloc with new steel plates. The machined area of the plates is larger and a perfect match for my oem fibers. The diameter of the machined ridge on he firs set was 98mm, and the new set was 96mm. Any one else with the wrong steels just give Alan a call and he'll hook you up.
David Eckel
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I hope that means mine are on their way as well. I would love to ride with it this weekend.
'11 GasGas EC250R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Well, mine did arrive today. Pulled one out and matched it to one of my friction disc at it looks like it just barely fits.
'11 GasGas EC250R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

OK, an update.

Trying to install the new steels and now I have a huge gap. It is like another friction disc could fit in there. I hope the springs close the gap and hold! I guess I'll find out here in a few minutes.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Wish you guys would be taking pics :wink:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Houston, we have lift off! :supz: I think the guys at Revloc can finally put this one to bed.

Finally got it all assembled and everything seems good. Still need to fine tune the adjustment. It will sometimes die in 1st while sitting still but that could be due to my gas getting old and/or my jetting being off at the moment.

One thing I would suggest to anyone doing this. Revloc ships the Dyna with three adjustment springs installed. This is what they recommend. IMO the clutch slips way too much with three installed. I changed to two springs and the bike launches with authority and locks up a lot quicker (less slipping) yet you can still feel the Dyna working. So far, I love how it feels. Tomorrow I'll be trying it on some actual trail!
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

So what's different from last time?
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|QBB<[/url]
Mr. Wibbens wrote:So what's different from last time?
The steel plates. The old steel plates had a larger (98mm) locating ring for the friction discs. The new version is 96mm.

Here are some pics for you Wibby! :mrgreen:

'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

sweet thanks, that makes it mucho easier to understand wtf you guys are talking about
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yeah, kind of hard to understand unless you can see it!

Something else I would like to add. The customer service shown throughout this whole deal, from even getting them made period to working out all the bugs, Alan at Revloc has been awesome! Thanks again Alan for taking care of everything! The best part is now this setup is good to go for all E riders!
'11 GasGas EC250R
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

As someone who is keen to get a Dyna Ring for my '89 KDX (I've owned it since new!), I'd just like to thank SS109 for keeping us updated with the problems that he's had.

As I'm "down under" in Australia the last thing I would have needed is to have purchased a Dyna Ring, only to find the same problems!

Did you test the "sorted" clutch out under "trail" conditions for a few hours, or just tested it around the block? Thanks.

Looks like I'll be contacting Revloc soon to get myself a Dyna Ring!

Cheers
I may be old, I may be slow, but hey I'm still getting my leg over - a dirt bike!