Any one have any idea what this realy is?

Got questions? We got answers....
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Any one have any idea what this realy is?

Post by rbates9 »

The guy has it listed as a KDL? I have never heard of a KDL but maybe some one on here might know what it is.
http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/2167533262.html
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

looks to me like its a KLX
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Is broken valves a common thing with them?
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I don't have much experience with the KLX, and I don't remember hearing many bad things about them. Here's a forum I found on the 1998 KLX 250

http://www.georgiaoffroad.com/dirtbike.php?modelid=71
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

2 of my buddies ride KLX 250s, they seem to love 'em. In fact I was thinking about getting one until I came across the KDX
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Definitely KLX.

The KLX is a pretty reliable bike. About like you'd expect from a relatively low powered 4 stroke trail bike. Think of XR's, TTR's, DRZ's, etc. It's a 4 stroke though, so broken valves are a risk. If the valves did break, the cylinder and head are probably buggered up too. Could be a pretty hefty repair bill.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Just called on it and the number is disconnected. :?
hornet8118

Post by hornet8118 »

figured i would throw in my 2 cents....i currently have a 2001 klx 300R. I absolutely love it in the woods. I also have an 2003 kdx 220 which i also love in the woods. the klx needing valves is not uncommon. it is a "shim under bucket motor" and the basic design is that there is a lifter, which if you could imagine a bucket flipped upside down and sits on top of each intake and exhaust valve. Between the "lifter" or "bucket" there are tiny round discs called shims. the shims determine the clearance between the rocker arm and the lifter when the valve are closed i believe. as the valves wear over time they start to cup and sit deeper into the valve seat and eventually reduce the clearance between the rocker arms and lifters. common practice is to check the valve clearance and remove the rocker arms and lifters and measure the thickness of the shim with a vernier or caliper and replace the shim with the appropriate shim to get the valve clearance back into spec. once the valve becomes too cupped it cannot be shimmed back into spec. this resulting in the motor needing a valve job. you can replace the valves with some quality stainless steel valves made by kibble white. if you don't have the tools available its a good idea to have a shop machine the valve seats to prevent premature wear on the new valves. you'll probably pay out about $200-$250 in parts to rebuild the head. you'll want to check the cylinder also because it is plated like the kdx. a good website is planetklx for any improvements and shortcomings on the klx 300. Like any bike they have thier quirks but i love both my kawis. sorry for the long post and i hope the info helps!!
Hornet
2003 kdx 220 plated
2001 klx 300r
2004 crf 250x plated
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Thanks for the info!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Anyone here ever rode one of the newer '06 and up KLX250 dualsports?

Man talk about gutless wonder, but I still want one

Thing's have absolutely no bottom end whatsoever

But it's gotta 10,500 redline and it'll do +70mph

I rode my buddy's, going down a slight hill at 70mph and it was losing speed in 6th gear. Just could not overcome the wind resistance

I'd like to ride one with the 351 mod
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Anyone here ever rode one of the newer '06 and up KLX250 dualsports?

Man talk about gutless wonder, but I still want one

Thing's have absolutely no bottom end whatsoever

But it's gotta 10,500 redline and it'll do +70mph

I rode my buddy's, going down a slight hill at 70mph and it was losing speed in 6th gear. Just could not overcome the wind resistance

I'd like to ride one with the 351 mod
2 of my buddies have an '06 and the other a '09. They really had to try to pop a wheelie on them haha, I also raced them with my old XR200 down a straightaway for the hell of it and actually kept up pretty good until 5th gear. Just thought I should throw that in :wink:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, not much balls for sure.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Yeah I tried lofting the front over a speed bump, it was not happening

Man the opening on the exhaust pipe is about the size of my pinky
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

All 4-strokes will need valves if not maintained. The shim/bucket is pretty bulletproof...esp for high RPM's, but like all valves they need adjusted or will fail. I've often wondered why on these low-output, heavy, old-school style 4-strokes why they didn't just use hydraulic lifters. :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project