Expansion chamber dent removal

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXrider1989

Expansion chamber dent removal

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Any suggestions on how to take dents out of the pipe? I've already tried the dry ice method, almost took out a big dent within 2 tries but its very dangerous, and it didn't take out the smaller dents. When that didn't work I plugged up the bigger opening that goes into the cylinder and filled it with water and put it outside to freeze. I woke up the next morning to disappointment when it didn't work, but maybe I did it wrong? I know about the torch and pressurized air method but i don't want the rainbow burn marks everywhere on the pipe (there's a few dents, big and small)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I am not sure where you can send it but the bike shop I go to sends them out and from what they say they come back like new with no discoloration. Personally I think the rainbow gives it personality! :lol:
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

ha, I'll take that into consideration if it's pretty cheap. My last option besides taking it to a shop would be just to torch it and then re-plate or powdercoat it, but I'm sure that's expensive. I'm wondering if I did the frozen pipe method wrong... its supposed to freeze tonight over here where I'm at so maybe I'll give it another shot, this time halfway filled and without a plug
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

freeze method should work, HOWEVER, you run into the risk of breaking the pipe at the weld.
I used pipe repair.com I believe, 65 bux or so to remove dents, weld a tab and put it back to factory shape...
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

the freezing works but you'll have to check it often (every hour maybe, or more?) before it destroys the pipe.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

oh crap, I filled the entire pipe with water and let it freeze overnight about 3 days ago, I'm glad it didn't break. Pipe repair.com, I'll need to check it out. Did you order a kit of some sort to remove dents?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

http://piperepair.com/
no you send it and get it back looking all good and shinny
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

no, you ship your pipe to them, they repair it, and send it back to you
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

and it fits better than new
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Looks like I won't be getting my pipe back for another 10 or 11 days, but I guess its worth it. Thanks guys :prayer: I'll see if I can ship mine out this weekend
sthutch
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by sthutch »

For what its worth, this may seem a little extreme, but a friend plugs the exhaust entrance with a wooden plug, and used another wooden plug with a air hose attached to it and heats up the dent with a torch. When its good and hot he pushes about 20 lbs of air into it and out comes the dent. I have not seen the process in person, only the results. Has anyone else tried it?

Good luck
Sthutch
Sthutch

1st Bike: '72 Arctic Cat Whisker (rode it to the wheels fell off)
2nd Bike: '76 KT250 Trials (gone, but not forgotten)
3rd Bike: '01 KDX200
4th Bike: '96 DS80 (okay, my 9yr old's and it's gone)
5th Bike: '04 RM65 (okay, he's now 10 and it's gone)
6th Bike: '08 KTM 105xc (okay, he's now 13)
7th Bike: '06 KTM 200xc-w (okay, he's now 16)
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

>|<>QBB<
sthutch wrote:For what its worth, this may seem a little extreme, but a friend plugs the exhaust entrance with a wooden plug, and used another wooden plug with a air hose attached to it and heats up the dent with a torch. When its good and hot he pushes about 20 lbs of air into it and out comes the dent. I have not seen the process in person, only the results. Has anyone else tried it?

Good luck
Sthutch
Hell. That sounds easy enough (and a lot cheaper, too!) for a newb like me to do correctly! :lol:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

>|<>QBB<
sthutch wrote:For what its worth, this may seem a little extreme, but a friend plugs the exhaust entrance with a wooden plug, and used another wooden plug with a air hose attached to it and heats up the dent with a torch. When its good and hot he pushes about 20 lbs of air into it and out comes the dent. I have not seen the process in person, only the results. Has anyone else tried it?

Good luck
Sthutch
I think the dry ice technique that I tried was extreme, and sort of a bad idea. The plug shot out like a gun and landed about 200 yards away :lol: I almost got the big dent completely out. The plugs I use are rubber expansion plugs, I hope these would be fine. And how do I polish off the burn marks and rust to make it nice and shiny again? Just a consideration if I plan on fixing the dents myself
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

If the finish peals you are done with a shiny pipe. I used a scotch bright pad to get the heavy stuff off and then used a buffing wheel on a drill and bench grinder to finish it. That worked ok but there is probably a better way.
sthutch
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by sthutch »

I been wondering why these companies don't create a muffler that is pre-dented. Sure would save time!
Sthutch

1st Bike: '72 Arctic Cat Whisker (rode it to the wheels fell off)
2nd Bike: '76 KT250 Trials (gone, but not forgotten)
3rd Bike: '01 KDX200
4th Bike: '96 DS80 (okay, my 9yr old's and it's gone)
5th Bike: '04 RM65 (okay, he's now 10 and it's gone)
6th Bike: '08 KTM 105xc (okay, he's now 13)
7th Bike: '06 KTM 200xc-w (okay, he's now 16)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
sthutch wrote:I been wondering why these companies don't create a muffler that is pre-dented. Sure would save time!
And frustration!
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

if I were to use a wire brush to get the rust off, I would think that would expose bare metal and make it rust even more? Im thinking if I were to polish it afterwards it would prevent rust, correct me if Im wrong, but what should I use?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
KDXrider1989 wrote:if I were to use a wire brush to get the rust off, I would think that would expose bare metal and make it rust even more? Im thinking if I were to polish it afterwards it would prevent rust, correct me if Im wrong, but what should I use?
I used a cloth polishing wheel on the drill and grinder with a past and liquid compound.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Most dents won't effect performance...In fact some will increase power. :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

"There was an article in dirtflamer?"

funny thing: I wrote dirt-RIDER and it shows dirt-FLAMER :lol: :supz:
Last edited by scheckaet on 11:24 am Feb 11 2011, edited 1 time in total.