Getting it in neutral while running and Driven shifter

Got questions? We got answers....
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

New Motion Pro cable installed and properly adjusted. Now I can get in in neutral while stopped and also don't feel the drag when the clutch is disengaged, and the bike in gear, while still. Cable was the issue.

The DRIVEN shifter is working great.
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

You've got me eager to try out the new cable I've had sitting in my parts box for a couple months. If the drag disappears that would be cool, but I am so used to it now that getting it in neutral isn't so bad.
1989 KDX 200
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
chadr wrote:You've got me eager to try out the new cable I've had sitting in my parts box for a couple months. If the drag disappears that would be cool, but I am so used to it now that getting it in neutral isn't so bad.
The cable made a big difference.
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Hey jad628, how's that Driven shifter working? I am thinking about buying one. Any issues with how it's holding up?
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
kwakcrazy

Post by kwakcrazy »

chadr wrote:>|<>QBB<
jad628 wrote:Okay, I've seen enough threads to know that KDXes will likely have some clutch drag (mine does), but I simply cannot get mine in neutral when in gear AFTER coming to a complete stop. While rolling....no problem. Is that normal?
My very little experience in this area... It was damn near impossible to get the bike in neutral after coming to a complete stop. While rolling, not a problem. Removed clutch basket and filed down the ridges. It took a lot of filing and I am certainly well past the recommended clearance. I didn't touch the inner groves that grip the clutch plates, just the fingers on the basket. I can now get into neutral without much hassle when stopped.

I don't see how clutch cable adjustment comes into play unless it it is not applying the needed presssure to let the clutch disengage.
Had the same problem with mine before I rebuilt the engine. It was dragging that bad the engine would stall if I stopped the bike in gear. I filed the grooves off the basket and its loads better.