Getting it in neutral while running and Driven shifter

Got questions? We got answers....
jad628
Supporting Member

Getting it in neutral while running and Driven shifter

Post by jad628 »

Okay, I've seen enough threads to know that KDXes will likely have some clutch drag (mine does), but I simply cannot get mine in neutral when in gear AFTER coming to a complete stop. While rolling....no problem. Is that normal?

BTW - is anyone else using a Driven gear shift lever? It's titanium, light as a feather, and seems to be of great quality. I just put one on yesterday and the feel is outstanding. With some soft shoes on I could actually feel the gears changing from first to second. I never felt zip with the stocker.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Mine takes just the right amount of pressure but it'll go, eventually

Try giving the throttle a little blip as you are shifting
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Mine takes just the right amount of pressure but it'll go, eventually

Try giving the throttle a little blip as you are shifting
I have, but no luck. I'm probably just having a moron moment!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

also make sure your clutch is adjusted properly

On mine it's always been a very fine adjustment, you gotta get it just right
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:also make sure your clutch is adjusted properly

On mine it's always been a very fine adjustment, you gotta get it just right
Roger that, thanks. I've been doubtful of the clutch cable. I might just get a new one.
gregp

Post by gregp »

Or try a DR650 clutch lever. I have one on my H series KDX. The pull is a little stiffer, but the disengagement is quicker and more complete.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

If you have the manual look for the clutch shim adjustment part. On the plunger under the cover is a washer or two, maybe none. The test has to do with the angle of the external clutch arm. Mine was hard to find neutral and I ended up taking out a shim / washer.
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Mine has the same problem, pretty big time. I'm going to pull it apart and have a look-see at the basket. Where did you get the Driven gear shift lever?
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:If you have the manual look for the clutch shim adjustment part. On the plunger under the cover is a washer or two, maybe none. The test has to do with the angle of the external clutch arm. Mine was hard to find neutral and I ended up taking out a shim / washer.
Still trying to get a manual. Thanks for the input.
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
turtle wrote:Mine has the same problem, pretty big time. I'm going to pull it apart and have a look-see at the basket. Where did you get the Driven gear shift lever?
On eBay. Here's a current listing from the same seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DRIVEN-F ... 3f062aeee6

It took a while to ship b/c of a problem at the supplier, but the seller stayed in contact with me and then refunded the shipping costs b/c of the wait. I am very satisfied with the shifter.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Dang, that shifter is kinda sexy.

As far as neutral, yeah it's a pain on mine too. I find it easier when running ATF though :). Sometimes take a little blip of throttle like Wibby said.
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:Dang, that shifter is kinda sexy.

As far as neutral, yeah it's a pain on mine too. I find it easier when running ATF though :). Sometimes take a little blip of throttle like Wibby said.
The Driven shifter has awesome feel. It transfers the feel of the transmission to your foot with a soft type of shoe on. I could actually feel the gears meshing. Never felt that with the stocker.

I just changed to running ATF type F. The previous owner had some kind of oil in it (nasty), so I'm running this batch of ATF for three rides, then I'm changing it again. I'm still trying the third gear/release/rev trick to see if it frees it up. Supposedly, this clutch was just rebuilt before I bought it. It doesn't slip at all, so I have no reason to doubt him. I guess I need to keep making adjustments to find the best one. No issues shifting or finding neutral when rolling though. I've found neutral several times when I didn't want it! lol
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
jad628 wrote:>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:If you have the manual look for the clutch shim adjustment part. On the plunger under the cover is a washer or two, maybe none. The test has to do with the angle of the external clutch arm. Mine was hard to find neutral and I ended up taking out a shim / washer.
you can get the manual online, top left of this site for the H and top right for the E. It's worth it price and you don't have to wait :wink:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I found that different oil will give you different feel. I used to find neutral a lot while going from 1st to 2nd, I changed to a different oil and it never happened again.
Hopefully that atf will clean the crap that was in there and solve the problem.
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:>|<>QBB<
jad628 wrote:>|<>QBB<
you can get the manual online, top left of this site for the H and top right for the E. It's worth it price and you don't have to wait :wink:
Thanks for the info. When the next off-duty check hits the account I'm gonna purchase the lifetime version.
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:I found that different oil will give you different feel. I used to find neutral a lot while going from 1st to 2nd, I changed to a different oil and it never happened again.
Hopefully that atf will clean the crap that was in there and solve the problem.
That's my hope with the ATF. Actually I plan to run it all the time, but I figured changing it several times in quick succession would help to clean out the grunge.
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

I love the looks of that shifter,sadly though I've never had any luck with aftermarket ones.I just destroy them :shock: what is the spline area made from?I'd like to hear how it works out for you
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
BobbyZ wrote:I love the looks of that shifter,sadly though I've never had any luck with aftermarket ones.I just destroy them :shock: what is the spline area made from?I'd like to hear how it works out for you
It's supposed to be titanium. I can tell you it is extremely light, but appears to be very well made. The transmission of the vibrations from the gears is somewhat surprising. So far, I give it high marks, but longevity would take me a while to confirm since I am not riding as much as many do here.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

MSR makes one similar
chadr
Supporting Member

Re: Getting it in neutral while running and Driven shifter

Post by chadr »

>|<>QBB<
jad628 wrote:Okay, I've seen enough threads to know that KDXes will likely have some clutch drag (mine does), but I simply cannot get mine in neutral when in gear AFTER coming to a complete stop. While rolling....no problem. Is that normal?
My very little experience in this area... It was damn near impossible to get the bike in neutral after coming to a complete stop. While rolling, not a problem. Removed clutch basket and filed down the ridges. It took a lot of filing and I am certainly well past the recommended clearance. I didn't touch the inner groves that grip the clutch plates, just the fingers on the basket. I can now get into neutral without much hassle when stopped.

I don't see how clutch cable adjustment comes into play unless it it is not applying the needed presssure to let the clutch disengage.
1989 KDX 200