Frame: Swingarm Linkage Mounting Problems

Got questions? We got answers....
wvjamills

Frame: Swingarm Linkage Mounting Problems

Post by wvjamills »

Has anyone had the holes get reamed out where the swingarm linkage mounts to the frame? I just bought a 1999 KDX 200 and in the process of tearing it down to put new bearings in it I discovered this problem. The only fix I know to do is to build up the holes (by welding) then take a die grinder and smooth them out to get the holes back to original size. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jamie

Take Me Home Country Roads!

2006 Screaming Eagle Ultra
1999 KDX 200
2002 DRZ 125
2008 Polaris 700 X2
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Do you mean the holes in the ears that are welded to the frame that the linkage piece with three bearing sets is mounted?
That is what it looks like you have circled. It was probably caused by assembling it incorrectly and/or letting it run loose. Those two ears should clamp down on the inner race. There should be no movement between the inner race and those ears and the bolt.
Your solution sounds feasible. The only issue I see is that I don't know if you'll be able to drill them after welding. I don't think you can get a straight shot on that hole.
How about welding washers on the outside? The idea is to get the ears to clamp the inner race .
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
wvjamills

Post by wvjamills »

(Do you mean the holes in the ears that are welded to the frame that the linkage piece with three bearing sets is mounted?)

That is it. When I took this apart the bolt that goes through the ears was missing the nut (which is what caused the damage). I thought about welding some washers to the outside but I don't know if the bolt would be long enough. I ordered a new bolt ($20) because I couldn't find one at Lowes that matched the same O.D. , I think it is going to be tough to drill too, but I might be able to get the Dremel in there, I hope? Thanks for the info.

Jamie
Take Me Home Country Roads!

2006 Screaming Eagle Ultra
1999 KDX 200
2002 DRZ 125
2008 Polaris 700 X2
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Weld washers. The bolt should be plenty long. Easy to find out.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
frankenschwinn wrote:Weld washers. The bolt should be plenty long. Easy to find out.
I second that emotion.