Will The KDX Fade Away??

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Will The KDX Fade Away??

Post by KDX4ID »

We all love our KDX's but the fact is they've been out of production for five years now. What will the next five years bring for the venerable green trail bike?

Are there enough parts bikes out there to keep the "core riders" on the trail? Will the day come that you can't find aftermarket parts for it anywhere (I'm amazed at all the aftermarket parts that are still out there)? Will Wiseco stop making pistons?

Will the economy tank so bad that budget bikes like the KDX be all the rage?

Can't help but wonder what the future will bring for my little greenie.
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

There were so many of them pumped out for so long using all the same parts, I would guess they will be around for quite some time.
michael

Post by michael »

My 90 model is pretty hard to get parts for, let alone aftermarket. Dunno if its different Round the world but its close to extinct, and noone knows what it is. Im obvioisly going to keep her goin, thats what a lathe and mill is for!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

There will always be people who will make the critical parts to keep them going like any following. The KDX following is a pretty rare in the dirt bike world.

Order a few Wiseco pistons now... and a cylinder or 2! Maybe a lowerend....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

nah I dont think so...these things just do so much so well and on such a great budget I don't see it happening anytime soon.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Speaking about them getting old... just an FYI that the water pump shaft for the E series has been discontinued. :sad:

Personally, I believe the KDX will live on for quite some time. Just look at the old 70's Maicos and Husqvarnas. They are still around and have the same kind of following like the old KDX does. Anyways, as Jeff Fredette says...

Long live the KDX! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Yup parts are getting harder to find and most of the sellers are asking way too much for crap parts on ebay

When I get back to making some money I'm afraid I'll be going Orange
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

As far as other bikes go I'll probably add a Gas Gas to the line up when I get back to making some money.I just cant go to a pumpkin,I've burned too many orange riders in the woods around here on my KDX :lol:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I expect my next bike will be a gas gas or KTM also. At least with the japs pulling out of the 2t market we have a resurgence in euro bikes, and they make a damn fine trail machine. The new TM's and Maicos are hot too.....

I have not had a difficult time finding any part I've needed so far for my 89, and I've replaced darn near everything. I think it will be quite some time before there's a part that can't be found easily, and even longer before there's one that can't be found at all.
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:There will always be people who will make the critical parts to keep them going like any following. The KDX following is a pretty rare in the dirt bike world.

Order a few Wiseco pistons now... and a cylinder or 2! Maybe a lowerend....
I think that's a little extreme. You can still get parts for bikes from the 70's and 80's so I don't see the need to start hording parts just yet :mrgreen: .
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
gregp

Post by gregp »

I tend to agree with you Coop. We will see some of the periferals dry up, like custom seat covers and graphics, but core parts should be available for a long time. Even now, there are places that specialize in 1970's plastic and reproduction parts for older vintage machines.
When I bought my 2nd KDX, I could have afforded anything.. but chose a KDX anyway. For the next several years, if I find a super-clean KDX200 used, I might just buy it to keep it as a back up.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

I bought a complete, seized, '96 200 last year for 100 bucks, took it all apart and kept everything except the frame and gas tank. Cuz the ebay guys are hose bags.
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

When the time does come the KTM 300 is a nice substitute for a KDX. A guy I ride with has a very nice 05 wxe and it seems to have about the same power just there is more of it. I don't need or want more power and like the ride of the KDX (and so does my buddy) better so hopefully we can keep getting parts for years to come. :partyman: The EPA may have some thing to do with two strokes before to long, they just seem to hate anything that people enjoy. :butthead:
gregp

Post by gregp »

I have owned a 1998 KTM300 and spent time on several other newer models, IMO, they are not even remotely comparable to the KDX. The KDX feels tiny in comparison, for one thing, making it much more tight woods friendly. I have yet to ride a KTM300 that I liked. For a tight woods machine, I would take virtually any Japanese MX 250 over a KTM300. My CR500 was even better suited...but that's just me.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The one my buddy has, has had a lot of up grades and work done to it. I have rode many Japanese 250's of all colors and I do belive that the KTM 300 is a much more woods friendly bike than a MX bike. More lug, smother power, etc. I'm not saying that I would trade for one, but when the time comes that the KDX is more trouble than it is worth my next bike will probably be orange.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I don't see a need to look elsewhere other than the KDX. But that's me and why I started KDXRIDER to begin with.

When mine dies and if I can't find parts... that's when i will either be too old to ride anymore or look around at what is available. Til then....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I don't see a need to look elsewhere other than the KDX. But that's me and why I started KDXRIDER to begin with.

When mine dies and if I can't find parts... that's when i will either be too old to ride anymore or look around at what is available. Til then....
+1 And thanks for a great site! :prayer:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:my next bike will probably be orange.
Mine too but it won't stay that color long

I'll start with a Kawi green front fender
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote: When mine dies ....
They never dies...Just need a sweet nap sometimes :razz:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:my next bike will probably be orange.
Mine too but it won't stay that color long

I'll start with a Kawi green front fender

As much as I'd like a 300 I'll probably get a 450 or 525 dualsported
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))