MX Track and first Scramble

Got questions? We got answers....
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

MX Track and first Scramble

Post by frankenschwinn »

In an effort to get my 7 y/o back on the bike I took him to a MX track. I have never felt very comfortable on the track myself. I got him going on the Peewee track and started riding. I toook it easy for a bit then started to get a little confidence. The track I went to is setup for all level of riders with mostly table top jumps. Some very big though. As my confidence grew I started hitting more jumps and was clearing most of them. I finally nutted up for a double and cleared it smoothly. This in turn gave me even more confidence. On the next jump, a large table, with a hump in the middle I hit it pinned in third. My bike nosed down and I came up very short and crashed very hard. My leg was twisted in ways it was not supposed to be. When I got up I was afraid I had broken it. I managed to get the bike started and back to the truck to find my son had watched the whole thing. With great difficulty I loaded the bikes and got us home. Lesson, I need to have more sense on the track.

I was scheduled to race a small scramble on Sun. I was not sure I would be able with my ankle in the shape it was in. I took advil and an anti-inflammatory drug and decided I would make the decision in the morning.

Sun morn arrived and I could walk so I decided to race. This was a club race, no points etc. Pretty small, about 60 riders.

I had never done a scramble so I thought this might be a good way to test the waters. They lined us up and there were 13 riders on our row (am 30+). I got a reasonable start ending up about mid pack. It was so dusty I had to back off and let the front pack go so I could see. I figured I had 30 miles to pick off anyone I could. This started happening quickly and withing two miles I had passed two people in my class and some from other classes ahead of us. I rode well for the most part. I lost the front end twice in the first lap and blew through a couple of turns. I settled down and the second lap was much better. when it was all over I had passed about 4 people in my class and ended up in 4th. My son did not race but he shredded all day.
exbee

Post by exbee »

Good job, the crash couldn't have affected you too much.
Can't wait to do another scramble myself this spring...they're a lot of fun.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I about killed myself on a jump on a KTM 250EXC... after that... big air is out for me.

My hip still acts up to this day....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
exbee wrote:Good job, the crash couldn't have affected you too much.
Can't wait to do another scramble myself this spring...they're a lot of fun.
It hurt like hell but felt much better the next day. Would not have been bad but my bike was trying its best to twist my leg off...
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: MX Track and first Scramble

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
frankenschwinn wrote:My bike nosed down...
Did you touch the rear brake while in the air or just let off the throttle before you reached the end of the ramp? Anyways, glad you weren't seriously hurt and was able to ride the HS. Air is fun but you gotta make sure you do everything right to hit the big stuff.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bigerestblazer
Supporting Member

Post by bigerestblazer »

rolled my trx 250r 2 years ago when the front suspension broke coming off a large jump and it sounds like you came out pretty lucky being able to ride that soon. still like to play in the air but not that big :D
Sometimes in life when it seems like things aint goin your way theres always one answer...BIGGER HAMMER